Purina uses sponsored ads for pet food recall

August 8, 2011

I love it when I see pet food companies actually doing something to get the word out about their recalls. Ever since the 2007 pet food recalls, I’ve been doing a quick search for ‘pet food recall’ quite often. Most of the time, thankfully, nothing comes up, but when it does it’s usually not the pet food company’s own website. It’s usually another blog, a press release, or something from the FDA. Today, I was quite surprised when I did my customary search on Google News. The first thing that caught my eye was a sponsored ad from Purina regarding their recent recall of Purina One Vibrant Maturity cat food. I did the same search on Google web search, Bing, and Yahoo and saw the same thing. Take a look at the screenshots below.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Granted, no company wants to have recalls, and as things work they’re all voluntary, but trying to sweep them under the rug isn’t working so well anymore. Pet owners are getting wise to the companies that do Friday night (or holiday!) dump and run recalls. Companies post them on a section of their website that doesn’t get any traffic (heaven forbid they should actually put it on the landing page), and of course many don’t post them anywhere at all. Being up front and open about pet food recalls, like Purina is doing with this one, is going to score them points with a lot of pet owners. In the long run, it’s going to benefit the pets that were eating that food, the pet owners, and Purina.

I wonder if Purina is setting a trend. Let’s hope so!

Filed under: pets, connected — Therese Kopiwoda @ 11:47 am

1. This is great PR. The best thing is to tackle the problem right away and it holds up a lot of credibility and responsibility. As a student that has studied PR a small amount and a pet lover, I’m pretty pleased with Purina as well.

Comment by Alyssa Steffes — August 8, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

2. One of my cats is very ill and I think it is from her food (Purina One indoor formula). The vet is giving her the full works tomorrow.

Comment by Ericka — August 8, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

3. In my country (Peru) Purina was a great media announcer some years ago. Today it is not happening and lots of companies compete against Purina. I really appreciate Purina as an A1 enterprise but I miss more presence and more useful products from them.
    (Excuse me if my English sin’t so good)…

Comment by Miguel Peces de Acuario — August 8, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

4. Companies that want to build brand loyalty and consumer trust are getting smart to the fact that shady practices and questionable tactics only make customers madder and more likely to switch. Companies rarely operate with the public’s interests topmost in their minds, but I think there is more sensitivity on the part of corporations to the power of the collective consumer. It seems like a sort of forced sensitivity, but it’s better than the days they tried to tell us that Chesterfield’s were good for us!

Comment by Dr. Tony Johnson — August 9, 2011 @ 7:17 am

5. My 3 year old cat became sick last month after opening a new bag of Purina indoor formula. He seemed fine, but hadn’t eaten in 3 days, which is very unusual for an indoor cat. I took him to the vet and we ruled out everything else, so the vet suspected salmonella since a new bag of food was the only change he had be subjected to. We treated him, but his bowels have not become normal yet. Ugh. I really don’t even know what to feed him any more. I am using Science Diet now at a whopping $13 a bag, I don’t know if he can handle the more expensive food or if his diarrhea is lingering effects of a possible salmonella poisoning. Purina denied any other food not on the recall list being contaminated, but they still sent me a coupon for a free bag which admits guilt in my opinion.

Comment by Jennifer — August 10, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

6. My 8 yr old cat has been having diarreah for the last week and half. We come home and find stools in different areas across the floor, not in the litter box. The cat is acting somewhat normal. Around the second day of diarreah the cat was a little lethargic and on the third day of symptons it did not eat much. The cat started to get better on the fourth day, the diarreah went away around the fifth day but for the last three days she is starting to have diarreah again. The only thing that I cant think of that may be the cause is a new bag of Purina Indoor Formula that we bought in late July at a Target here in the LA area. The cat has been eating it ever since the symptons started. I was surprised to learn about the recent Recall as well as the other posts on this site that also noted this particular brand and type to possibly be the cause. I will contact Purina tomorrow.

Comment by Rick — August 22, 2011 @ 9:12 pm