How animal lovers can help quake, tsunami victims

March 11, 2011

How can animal lovers help those affected by the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan today, and any other areas impacted by the tsunami?

Friends, I’m in New York City today taping two segments for “The Dr. Oz Show” and have limited access to a computer, but I needed to stop by and answer that question, which I was hearing from so many of my readers and viewers.

In addition to the Red Cross, which has a dedicated tsunami donation page here, please consider making a donation to World Vets, an international veterinary aid organization that provides free veterinary aid, resources and support during times of disaster all over the world. They are currently coordinating with one of my Japanese veterinary colleagues to begin their relief efforts there.

Another great animal-related cause is the National Disaster Search Dog Foundation, a FEMA-certified agency. Searching for survivors in wreckage is what they do, and they have teams standing by. [Update: teams have deployed!]

I have spoken to veterinarians in Japan many times, and have lots of friends there. They are strongly in my thoughts and prayers today.

Filed under: pets, connected — Dr. Marty Becker @ 11:48 am

1. Glad to see these resources. There are also a few other animal rescue agencies that deal specifically with animal disaster issues.

I have many of them listed in the animal preparedness guide I give away for free (use my name link and scroll down the page) but I’ll have to add World Vets.

This is a good reminder that people need to prepare for the unexpected and that the impact can be widespread.

Comment by @arklady — March 11, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

2. Thanks for posting this! I just made a donation to WorldVets and posted this to my FB page, too

Comment by Teri — March 11, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

3. Update from the National Rescue Search Dog Foundation: “CA-TF2 has been mobilized to respond to the deadly earthquake and tsunami in Japan. SDF Search Teams Gary Durian & Baxter, Eric Gray & Riley, Ron Horetski & Pearl, Bill Monahan & Hunter, Jasmine Segura & Cadillac and Linda Tacconelli & Joe are all in the process of preparing for deployment.”

Comment by Christie Keith — March 11, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

4. 私はあなたの安全のために良い思いを送って、日本でも私の友人のすべてにされる。私はあなたのすべての安全を願っています。私たちはあなたのことを考えている。

Comment by Frogdogz — March 11, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

5. Thank you for the information. I have posted a link on my blog, as well as on my Facebook page. My heart goes out to all human and non-human victims of the disaster.

Comment by Danielle Jaffy — March 11, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

6. I just ran that through Google translate, which is very rough, but it said:

“I send good thoughts for your safety, all of my friends are in Japan. I wish you all safe. We are thinking of you.”

Comment by Christie Keith — March 11, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

7. Regarding the Japanese quake –
    There will inevitably be a need for dog rescue. How can we be proactive and work together to help save the dogs? Can we reachout to the airlines to secure crate space? Then work together to do transport?

Comment by princesscody10 — March 11, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

8. There is another organization you might want to know about. Animal Rescue Kansai (ARK)came into being after the Kobe earthquake, when volunteers started collecting pets made homeless in that disaster. It is important to be delivering the priority resources to saving people at this point, however, the experience from that previous disaster was that, in the year following the quake, there were a lot of suicides among survivors and they also found that the presence of pets was a factor that helped people deal with this crushing depression. I visited Animal Rescue Kansai when I lived in Japan and I just read on their web site that they are gearing up to help with this current disaster. Here is their website: http://www.arkbark.net/?q=en/node/2901

Comment by Janice — March 12, 2011 @ 12:55 am

9. I absolutely agree with Janice and above all, animals deserve equal attention. Thank you for all that you are doing!

Comment by Lashitha — March 13, 2011 @ 1:48 am

10. Thanks for the info. Posted on my Facebook page.

Comment by Debbie — March 13, 2011 @ 4:07 am

11. National Disaster Search Dog Foundation (SDF) does not certify or deploy USAR dogs. SDF trains dogs for USAR work. FEMA certifies, deploys, and covers the operating costs of their USAR teams. When they are deployed outside the U.S. these teams are relabeled as USAID teams. USAID is another U.S. government agency. The operating costs of the FEMA/USAID USAR dogs being sent to Japan will be paid for by U.S. taxpayers, not donors.

Comment by LauraS — March 13, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

12. Donation made to World Vets. Thanks for the information.
    Prayers to the people and animals in Japan.

Comment by db — March 14, 2011 @ 6:16 am

13. Thank you so much for this posting. I cried when I watched the horror unfold in Japan. My heart and empathy is with the people and animals affected by the tsunami in Japan. When I saw the two dogs on the news clip, where the one dog would not leave the side of the wounded dog, I thought of my own furry friends. I have been wondering what I can do to help, thank you for taking the time to post this, because I know where I can truly be of assistance.
    Roberta Huston

Comment by Roberta Huston — March 16, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

14. Thank you for writing this post. I will share it. And I’ve added a link to World Vets on my blog. We have dear friends in Japan & do not know how or where they are at this time.

Comment by Deborah Taylor-French — March 18, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

15. Please help the cows and horses as well! their owners have evacuated so that nobody can feed them. So they have no choice to wait for the death from hunger that they don’t deserve!

Please look at those videos

Comment by Sari — April 15, 2011 @ 6:33 pm