The muffin tin game: feline edition

March 9, 2011

Muffin game - the set upI had never heard of the muffin tin game until I read Liz Palika’s post about Archer playing it , and I immediately started wondering whether it could be adapted for cats. As the single mom of a single young indoor cat, I’m always looking for ways to entertain and stimulate my precocious,  high energy little cat.

I didn’t have any tennis balls, and they might be a little too big for Allegra anyway, but I figured I could use a bunch of cat toys. The real question was whether I had a muffin tin. I don’t bake, but I managed to unearth one from the far back reaches of my kitchen cabinet.  We were ready to test this!

I placed a freeze dried chicken treat in each hole, and covered the treats with toys that were about the size of the holes. Allegra watched my preparations with great interest (the sound of the treat bag always brings her running from whereever in the house she may be).

Would the muffin tin game work for cats? Watch the results.

And yes, she did eventually get that last one out – but she needed to take a thorough bath before she tackled that. I don’t know how to edit video, and while I may think the suspense and cuteness factors are high enough, I didn’t think the rest of the world would want to watch an additional five minutes of Allegra and the Muffin Tin Game, so I stopped recording.

Meanwhile, Allegra is preparing her Acatemy Awards acceptance speech.

Filed under: behavior and training,pets, connected — Ingrid King @ 5:54 am

1. Much more dignified and deliberate than my Aussies! smile…And that’s not bad.

Glad the kitties can enjoy it, too.

Comment by Liz Palika — March 9, 2011 @ 9:10 am

2. She’s really cute to watch! I’m going to have to try this with our old boys and see what they think! And I’ll definitely remember it for when we have a young kitty again :)

Comment by Tammy — March 9, 2011 @ 9:28 am

3. I’m thinkin’ mini muffin tins to fit the little cat toys.

Comment by The OTHER Pat — March 9, 2011 @ 9:37 am

4. TOP: Yes, I’ve heard that cats have fun when the game is played with ping pong balls in a mini muffin tin.

Comment by Liz Palika — March 9, 2011 @ 10:18 am

5. I don’t watch videos, takes too much time, but I’ll share the Paper Party with you!

Take a newspaper and spread out in big circle – single sheets overlapping each other. Get long slender stick (gotta be long or you’ll lose a finger!) and run it under papers and move it around slowly. I usually can get a pile of cats interested in this game at once and move stick around so each has a turn. When finished, vacuum bits of shredded paper off floor.

Comment by CathyA — March 9, 2011 @ 10:22 am

6. I will definitely try that tonight. With four of various ages, it should be fun to see the reaction. I’ll probably have to use the large one!

Comment by Sally — March 9, 2011 @ 11:48 am

7. I’ll have to try the ping pong balls and the mini muffin tin.

And we’ll have to get started on working to beat Archer’s time…

Comment by Ingrid King — March 9, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

8. Noticed that Allegra used her teeth to move the objects (although she batted one a little tentatively). Wonder how long it will take her to learn to use her paws to move ping pong balls> (I’m guessing she won’t be able to pick them up with her mouth)

Might have to try this with my kitty; if I can keep the dog out of the kitchen long enough!

Comment by lin — March 9, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

9. I forwarded this to my daughter to try with her cat Cinnamon. Thanks!

Comment by Peggy Frezon — March 9, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

10. Thanks for this idea. I read Liz’s post about doing this with dogs but didn’t think to try it with my cats until you did. The first time took them (I have 2 cats) a while to understand what was up but now they’ve got it down. I might have to find a way to squish some larger toys in more securely to make it a little tougher for them. I’m using mini-muffin tins which are the perfect size for their toys.

Comment by Shari — March 15, 2011 @ 9:22 am