Allergic to pets? Dr. Oz, Dr. Becker team up to help

January 26, 2011

If you’re one of the 15 percent of Americans with pet allergies, you may be able to shed the sniffing, sneezing and itching, but keep your dogs and cats.

That’s the word from Dr. Oz and our own Dr. Marty Becker, who is part of “Core Team Oz” on the “The Dr. Oz Show.” On today’s show, physician and veterinarian together demonstrated a few simple changes that can allow allergic pet-owners and their cats and dogs to share a home together.

Tips include frequent use of a vacuum with a HEPA filter, creating a “pet zone” with a washable cover as your pet’s bed, and weekly bathing.

For cats like Dr. Oz’s Siberian, Baby Cat, Dr. Becker recommended using a grooming wipe instead of shampoo and water. He also demonstrated his canine bathing technique on Rusty, a Dachshund whose owner is allergic to him — but lets him sleep on the bed, anyway.

Dr. Becker wanted us to say thanks to Bissell (Beth Jester) and Dechra / DermaPet (Dena Ware) for sending out supplies overnight — he couldn’t have done it without them.

Check out the rest of the tips, and see how Dr. Becker’s magic touch got Rusty to stop barking at Baby Cat, by clicking on the image below to view the video:

Filed under: pets, connected,veterinary medicine,worth a click — Pet Connection Staff @ 12:01 pm

1. I just clicked to watch that segment. It was interesting when Rusty was held by Dr. Becker he was calmer than when in his owner’s arms. Dr. Becker used his body to slightly block the dog’s view.

Love those tips such as holding a dog’s nose to stop them from shaking.

Comment by Ericka Basile — January 26, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

2. Ericka, I agree — plus Dr. B was calm and the owner, understandably, was freaking out.

Comment by Christie Keith — January 26, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

3. Rusty looks like the love child of Cami and Harry (same exact coloring), with Cami’s insistence that the Cat Must Leave. I know that face well.

Comment by David S. Greene — January 26, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

4. Hi – I saw the segment and Dr Oz’s cat is a Siberian and they mentioned the hypoallergic nature of the Siberian. Baby Cat is gorgeous.

Comment by Julia Ford — January 28, 2011 @ 10:41 am

5. Dr. Oz’s cat was extremely uncomfortable during the interview. Please help Dr. Oz understand that cats usually don’t enjoy a change of environment and act very shy because of it. It was difficult watching the cat trying to get away and/or hide under his arms. The cat didn’t need to be there during the whole interview, especially when the dog started to react to the cat. Thanks.

Comment by L. Yaco — February 2, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

6. I loved the beautiful cat that Dr. Oz was holding. And I think he was so good while Dr. Oz was holding him. Not like any of my cats

Comment by Bobbi Toner — August 15, 2011 @ 6:56 am

7. I have a siberian and he is awesome. I used to only like dog and I admit to being stupid lol. They are strickly indoor. They basically do what u want if u get them as kittens. I have since gotten another. Smartest. Funniest. Most loving. Animal I’ve everything had. Taught me a lesson alright.

Comment by connor — August 15, 2011 @ 4:40 pm