‘Good Morning America': Our Dr. Becker on allergies in pets

June 3, 2010

Scratch, scratch, slurp, slurp, shake, shake. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat… well, you get the idea.

Life with an allergic dog and cat can be rough for both owner and and pet. Fortunately, there are more ways to diagnose and treat pet allergies than at any time in history, from shampoos to special diets, from complementary and alternative approaches to prescription medication.

Our Dr. Marty Becker devoted today’s segment on “Good Morning America” to this tough and increasingly common pet health problem. If you missed it, the video’s live on the ABC News site now, or you can watch it right here:

Filed under: pets, connected,veterinary medicine — Pet Connection Staff @ 11:18 am

1. How about epizooties (reverse sneezing) in the middle of the night? Benadryl laced peanut butter seems to do the trick.

Comment by Jill — June 3, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

2. While I highly respect your expertise Dr. Marty, I was really disappointed to see recommending such poor foods to actually help with allergies (hills & purina) even their special diets contain bad, un-natural ingredients The Canine z/d has ‘Starch’ as the 1st ingredient. If more people feed better foods that have no corn, wheat, soy or by-products, there would not be this many dogs with ‘skin’ allergies. I have cocker spaniels and a family full of dogs, and I foster. From 1st hand experience, I am amazed at what a good, natural diet can do to benefit overall health of our pets.
    I do agree with you on the importance of bathing & omegas in their diet though.

Comment by Lauren — June 3, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

3. You know, I have fed a homemade diet since 1986. But I will say this: My one dog with allergies, Raven, had the worst case I’d ever seen. It lasted her whole life and it was really, really terrible. And her natural diet did nothing to help.

Comment by Christie Keith — June 3, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

4. I’m no fan of commercial pet food either, but for severe allergies Hills Z/D can be a lifesaver.Mine are fed homecooked & raw ,with a little canned & kibble just in case of emergencies by the way.

Comment by Leslie K — June 3, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

5. My 14 yr. old never suffered from allergies until this season causing hot spots & reverse sneezing. He’s always been on holistic kibble. I recently changed to one protein (limited ingredients). I too was disappointed in your choice of pet food. Glad you talked about frequent bathing because I only bathe about every 4 months. Whippets are very clean dogs and mine are condo couch potatoes. Since he got the hot spots, I have been bathing 2x/week. He seems to be ok now. First time he got the hot spot he was on medication. This time I used witch hazel w/aloe and Emu Oil. I also used Histablock which I feel is better than Benedryl. I don’t feel the food is the cause – I think it’s the grass/dirt. I notice after he sniffs the grass or dirt, he gets a bad case of reverse sneezing. Years ago, the Vet talked me into giving the intranasal Bordetella even though he’s never boarded. The following week he started with the reverse sneezing and has never been the same since. Thanks Dr. Marty for covering this issue.

Comment by Sandi — June 4, 2010 @ 7:15 am

6. p.s. also when it’s windy out causes the reverse sneezing.

Comment by Sandi — June 4, 2010 @ 7:19 am

7. I do feed holistic kibble and was disappointed with Dr. Marty’s choice of pet foods. This year is the first time my dog got hot spots & really bad reverse sneezing. I switched to one protein ingredient but think it’s seasonal dermatitis & not food related. When it’s windy, he gets the reverse sneezing and when he sniffs the grass/dirt. Thanks for the info re: bathing. I only bathed about every 4 months as I was under the impression frequent bathing dries out the skin. I bathe 2x/week since he got the hot spots with shampoo containing benzyol peroxide. Thanks Dr. Marty for covering allergies.

Comment by Sandra — June 4, 2010 @ 8:47 am