Tell Congress: Hands off our pets!

April 11, 2009

Christie wrote about this earlier. Hat tip to several readers for the link to this video. Remember: E-mail is not as effective as faxes, phone calls and snail mail. This nonsense has got to be stopped. Here’s where to find your Congress critter.

Filed under: pets, connected — Gina Spadafori @ 4:50 pm

1. lordy, I grew up with all kinds of critters. I can’t imagine what a void it would put in kids lives not to have access to the knowledge that brings. By the time I was 5, I had very basic animal handling and care skills for various birds, fish, reptiles, amphibians, dogs and cats. One of my favorite family pics is with our beagle, her puppies, our crazy cat, the box and desert turtle and all of us on a blanket in the backyard.

I’ll be using my phone on Monday, and I’ll pass this around . . . geeze, the things they do to distract us . . .

Comment by straybaby — April 11, 2009 @ 7:07 pm

2. I agree with Congress on this one. We are not doing the animals any favors bij making them pets. Its egocentric to keep these beautiful animals that should live free in the wild, locked up for our own pleasure. And don’t forget how much animal neglect and abuse there is. All because people don’t really know how to take care of them. Hardly any room to move, not the right food, not enough loving attention, often alone in cage etc etc. When this bill passes, these awful practices will be stopped. I am all for it!

Comment by Rodien — April 11, 2009 @ 11:42 pm

3. I agree with congress. Note the pet shop owner in this video calling owning these type of animals a ¨HOBBY¨. The video´s producer fails to mention the reason for this law…The PET OWNERS dumping reptiles out in the open. 20´ python´s in Florida ring a bell? And yes, even the exotic FISH are being dumped which is destroying the local eco system. Don´t blame congress, blame the pet owners. If you want a pet, get a gold fish, cat or dog.

Comment by ken howard — April 13, 2009 @ 10:48 am

4. Hey ken – goldfish would be considered a non-native species under this bill.

Comment by The OTHER Pat — April 13, 2009 @ 11:39 am

5. If you want a pet, get a gold fish, cat or dog.

Cats are not native pets, and could arguably over-run this entire country if left to do so.

And dogs? Vicious baby eaters. Like, you know… pythons.

I’m sorry, Ken, that Florida has these problems, but the “there oughtta be a law… a NATIONAL law… for EVERYONE and EVERY ANIMAL” solution is a logical fail.

Comment by Christie Keith — April 13, 2009 @ 12:34 pm

6. So what about cats and dogs? There are all kinds of non-native cat and dog varieties out there…

Another “wonderful” plan from our government….

Comment by Sarah Sanford — April 17, 2009 @ 2:02 pm

7. How about a Turkish Van cat–it might not be native and might be Banned! OMG–but you will never get me to like snakes and maybe they should not be allowed to come into the people’s houses that they are not invited–certainly not my house. I might never stop screeeeeeeaming, or worse.

There always seems to be more than one side of an issue, which doesn’t make it easy.

Comment by Colorado Transplant — April 17, 2009 @ 5:25 pm