Michael Vick: Sorry, we meant ‘alleged dirtbag’

July 18, 2007

Rrrrreevenge

Play the video.

From an ABC New piece that tries to put story in context, complete with the obligatory “that is not to trivialize the serious off-field issues” crap (even though the whole piece basically, uh, does), this interesting paragraph:

On July 7, a day after the latest raid on Vick’s property, one of those same federal sources told ESPN.com for a column that the quarterback was still part of the investigation. “Just because you’ve got a lot of links [lying] around doesn’t mean you can call in a chain,” the source said. “But it also doesn’t mean you abandon the notion of seeing if those links might someday become a chain.”

You know, a chain. Like the heavy logging chains dogfighters and their adoring wannabes put on their dogs to trot them around, or the ones the dogfighters use to keep their dogs when they’re not fighting or being prepared to fight.

As duly noted in yesterday’s comments, the race card has already been thrown down on this. Just as the “culture” card is played whenever cock-fighting is discussed, or tradition and culture whenever the multilation of women is condemned.

Sorry, I don’t buy any of it. And if Michael Vick’s convicted, I hope he does time. Won’t feel the least bit sorry about the end to his NFL career. You make your choices, you take your outcomes.

My favorite comment so far, from GreatDaneAddict:

I need some help with something.

My friend’s son has a Michael Vick jersey. She wants to send the jersey to Roger Goodell, the NFL commissioner, with a letter of disgust.

I can not figure out how to find an address for her to send it to? Help?

Before I could even look it up, straybaby has it:

Mr. Roger Goodell
Commissioner
National Football League
280 Park Ave.
New York, NY 10017

There will be plenty, plenty more on this, of course. But so far I like this not-so-subtle YouTube video (screen capture above) which I noticed on Lassie Get Help this morning. Luisa has more good stuff over there, too.

Cute pit bull, too. Looks like sweetie.

Update: Not for the squeamish, the AP story about the contents of the indictments. Smoking Gun has the document itself. I’m a really big believer in primary source documents, but this time … no thanks.

Filed under: pets, connected — Gina Spadafori @ 9:03 am

1. The “culture” crap makes me sick. Oh, does you culture consist of dope dealing, gangbanging, dog fighting psychos? That’s an insult to every Black American (99.99999% of the total) that gets up in the morning, goes to work or school, takes care of their families, and lives a moral life.

Comment by Andrea 2CatMom — July 18, 2007 @ 10:25 am

2. Who’s dog is this? This is the greatest video ever. Off to post it on my blog!

Comment by Great Dane Addict — July 18, 2007 @ 10:29 am

3. OMG and thank you so much for the address! Yeay! Off to call my friend to give her the address!

PS: Her 11 year old son actually handed the jersey over before she could even ask him. Love him.

Comment by Great Dane Addict — July 18, 2007 @ 10:31 am

4. Aww, that video is fabulous. And I could relate all too well, as I have little bead-thingies scattered about my living room floor at present from when our German shepherd/pit bull/etc. mix got a hold of a beanie baby of mine a couple of days ago. :)

Comment by Liz — July 18, 2007 @ 10:36 am

5. Speaking of beanie babies…

Comment by Great Dane Addict — July 18, 2007 @ 10:45 am

6. If Vick is guilty (as I think he is) he should be convicted to the fullest extent of the law. I have heard that letting him out of his contract with the Falcons would cost too much $$$. Don’t know if the bad PR will overcome that obstacle. These fools get paid too much anyway – and they’re not gods either. These players should have some ethics clause in their contracts so they can be kicked out without penalty. So much for good role models!

Comment by Carol — July 18, 2007 @ 10:48 am

7. Carol, they do have some responsibilitiy regarding ethics. from the CNN article:

A National Football League spokesman said the allegations against Vick would be reviewed under the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

Comment by straybaby — July 18, 2007 @ 11:14 am

8. Sorry, but race is not a “card.” It is not some item that I break out of a magic deck, and slap down on the table to make a winning hand. Nor do I break out my magic wand sprinkle the word like fairy dust to break up the party.

That is to trivialize and dismiss what is actual, current, lived experience of millions in this world: RACISM, i.e., treating another as an inferior, an enemy, a criminal, as stupid, etc., as an object to be rejected and demeaned based on race or racial characteristics. If you, your family, neighbors, friends don’t experience its negative effects, then bully for you. But I don’t live in utopia, I live among flawed, broken, human beings who have constructed many false societal constructs to make themselves (and the groups they come from) prosper over others and therefore feel superior.

That said, Mr. Vicks involvement in dog fighting or aiding and abetting same is reprehensible.

Comment by No Longer Asleep at the Wheel — July 18, 2007 @ 11:14 am

9. someone was asking if an NFL contract is voidable. Hope the URL below fits…

Comment by lost for words — July 18, 2007 @ 11:22 am

10. No longer Asleep: I’m not denying that racism plays a big role in our judicial process. But Vick isn’t some poor mope that gets railroaded by the police and DA. He can afford, and I’m sure will have the best defense money can buy.

If he’s innocent, then I want to see him exonerated, if he’s guilty, I want him to get the max.

Comment by Andrea 2CatMom — July 18, 2007 @ 11:24 am

11. Straybaby -

Good to know. Hope it has some teeth and is easily enforceable. Hope $$$ doesn’t win in this case.

Comment by Carol — July 18, 2007 @ 11:26 am

12. “I think the pressure to indict comes from his high profile rather than his race.”

yup, if he doesn’t get time or much time (if convicted) then it will be about him getting a break because of his high profile.

Comment by straybaby — July 18, 2007 @ 11:28 am

13. Carol, it will cost them just as much to bench him until this is sorted. i really can’t see them letting him on the field to lead the team until there’s a conclusion. it’s not like this is drug abuse, or the other usual infractions. it has him involved in not only dog fighting, but personally helping to kill 8 dogs. and the fact this has allegedly been going on for years. the dude wasn’t just hangin’ with friends who staged fight (still not acceptable!) that he might be able to wiggle out of.

they should really do some serious background checks on these high profile players before offering a $130 millon contract . . .

Comment by straybaby — July 18, 2007 @ 11:35 am

14. I really don’t like to say this, because it makes me sound like I somehow support dogfighting WHICH I DO NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. (speaking as a pit bull owner who understands the history of our breed(s) very well)

But, yes Vick has the right to the assumption of innocence, just like any other American accused of any crime.

though perhaps that was in was in some OTHER pre-BushCheney/pre Guantanamo America.

So hell yes, let’s string him up NOW!

Comment by EmilyS — July 18, 2007 @ 11:46 am

15. People who fight dogs are people that enjoy the kill -the blood and the horror. They thrive on it. It feeds their warped and destructive minds. Has nothing to do with race or gender or NFL or anything else. It is MACHO Minded thrill gone amuck. There are plenty of people in every race that enjoy this type of kill.

I have been around a few dog fights and when men are watching, for the most part, they are mesmerized by it all. (I exclude women because I have no experience with women watching a dog fight being broken up.)I am not talking about every man, just those that spoke up to me about what they saw and how they reacted to it.

Watching the kill becomes entertainment. Remember, at one time in Rome they fed people to the lions while the crowds cheered them on. It is the same type of mind set here. Not civilized, not pretty, and certainly needs to be punished.

Comment by Jamie — July 18, 2007 @ 11:48 am

16. We need to get info on DA’s office prosecuting this offense and write letters demanding that Vick get maximum penalty allowed. I’ve seen and heard of many horrific animal abuse cases but to me, the sport of dog fighting is the most abhorrent abuse. Unfortunately, it’s big business among the lowly scumbags of this earth.

When I was in New Orleans doing rescue after Katrina, one night while eating at a resteraunt I sat next to a local resident who told me and my rescue partner about a very good friend of his who had been an undercover cop investigating local dog fighting rings for about a year until these scumbags learned of his involvement. They slit his throat, killing him and the NOPD covered it up! This guy learned from his friend over the course of his one year investigation that many politicians and businessmen and police officers are involved in dog fighting and that the number one ring leader was the owners of Harrah’s casino.

He told us where dog fighting was taking place right at that moment while we were eating dinner only about 2 miles away. I tried to get other rescuers to drive by this location with me but everyone was too fearful. Here we were, 1,000′s of volunteers in town spending 14 hour days combing the street trying to save lost, abandoned and abused animals and dog fighters continued on with this lowly sport. It was an outrage!

This very kind local resident thanked us for helping the animals and paid for our dinner that night.

Comment by Barb — July 18, 2007 @ 12:15 pm

17. Just watched CNN and they say Vick is to BEGIN PLAYING NEXT WEEK. Does anyone have a e-mail address for Roger Goodell and for Nike, Kraft and Coca-Cola? We should all bombard them with emails and phone calls that we do not want Vick to play.
    CNN also says Vick has a GUARANTEED contract that pays him “X” amount of millions. Wonder if there is any way THAT contract can be broken. CNN says Vick’s lawyers are already working on the indictment. There must be something the public can do to get rid of this scum-bag.
    We should also demand that the NFL investigate what other players are involved with Vick and get rid of them too.

Comment by VJ — July 18, 2007 @ 12:17 pm

18. Hi Straybaby -

I had seen this info on the internet (either ESPN or the AJC) before the actual indictment. All it said was that “terminating or releasing” him rather than letting his contract play out would cost the team more $$$. Now that he has actually been indicted hopefully some ethics provision will take precedence. I’m only hoping that he won’t benefit because it’s cheaper to keep him on the team rather than cutting him loose if convicted.

Comment by Carol — July 18, 2007 @ 12:23 pm

19. Comment by VJ — July 18, 2007 @ 12:17 pm

training camp begins on the same day he goes to court for arraignment. they may have him report late to camp after that. wouldn’t be totally unusual for a player to show up late for one reason or another. more than likely they will need to be working on a game plan that doesn’t involve him. that also happens, but generally for contract disputes, injuries or drug issues. and i do believe his contract can be broken with out legal issues if done right. it was discussed a couple places around July 10th i think it was. sometimes players become more trouble than they’re ‘worth’. i think a lot will be decided after they see what his lawyers do at the arrainment. also, if he’s going to be tied up in court during the season, that may be an out for the team. they would also be relieved of holding up the public ‘he’s innocent for now’ image that may keep him in the game.

i think one thing we need to keep in mind with “demands”. he is still innocent. and so is anyone associated with him. and i think the NFL, Nike, Kraft and anyone else will take that stand, within reason. he should be on low profile (shelved) until this is resolved. that’s just good business . . .

Comment by straybaby — July 18, 2007 @ 12:49 pm

20. Comment by Carol — July 18, 2007 @ 12:23 pm

it will be interesting to see how/if the indictment does change the contract issue. i had a (alleged?) wife beater on one of my fantasy baseball teams one year (dropped the dude!), but i can’t remember how that played out between the allegations, court and everything. i don’t remember if he played out the season or only part of it.

i’m really going to have to check out players before i draft this year! lol!~

Comment by straybaby — July 18, 2007 @ 12:56 pm

21. Jamie, you have watched dogfights?
    you mean you participated in felonious activities?

or are you just talking about 2 dogs scrapping.. in which case that is nothing like a pit fight of the sort being alleged.

BTW, I understood that all professioinal sports contracts have some kind of “morals” clause which enables the team to invalidate it.

Comment by EmilyS — July 18, 2007 @ 1:02 pm

22. EmilyS:

I have broken up fights between pits. I have been successful but thought during it that my strength would fail me first. I have been exposed to pits trained for this type of fighting in rescue. Does that answer your question?

Pits fighting with torn flesh and blood is not a scrape. So I’m not sure what point you are making with your questions. Please be clearer in the future.

Comment by Jamie — July 18, 2007 @ 1:18 pm

23. EmilyS:

Perhaps your point is that the more intense dog battles are not entertaining to those watching. I can’t say for sure if this is the point you were making, but if it is, then you are wrong.

The more blood, the more intense, the more entertainment value. There is something captivating about the strength of dogs in battle.

As to your point questioning my participation in a felony – silly.

Comment by Jamie — July 18, 2007 @ 1:32 pm

24. First, the video is great. Good to have something to smile about in this mess.
    Second:

Vick approved electrocution of dog, feds say
    Falcons’ star QB, 3 others to be arraigned July 26 on dogfighting charges

Federal grand jury indicts Vick
    July 18: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted by a Virginia federal grand jury on dogfighting charges.

Updated: 11:00 a.m. MT July 18, 2007
    RICHMOND, Va. – When a Bad Newz Kennels dog was wounded in a losing fight, NFL star Michael Vick was consulted before the animal was doused with water and electrocuted.

That’s just one of the gruesome details that emerged Tuesday when the Atlanta Falcons quarterback and three others were indicted by a federal grand jury.

Comment by Schnauzer — July 18, 2007 @ 1:37 pm

25. Comment by Jamie — July 18, 2007 @ 11:48 am

“I have been around a few dog fights and when men are watching, for the most part, they are mesmerized by it all.”

I had the same reaction to this as EmilyS – the way it is worded makes it sound like it was an organized dog fight (which would – as I understand it – be a felony). So please don’t get upset with EmilyS. The wording was awkward, created a misunderstanding (as often happens in online discussions), you were questioned on it, and you clarified the misunderstanding.

I think that’s all that happened here.

Comment by The OTHER Pat — July 18, 2007 @ 1:56 pm

26. The Other Pat: Oh. I see your point. Okay.

I have been around a few dog fights between pits but not in an organized dog ring sense but still with quite powerful animals fighting in what seemed at the time to the death of one or the other.

I will try to be clearer in the future.

Comment by Jamie — July 18, 2007 @ 2:00 pm

27. Jamie, I do believe EmilyS’s point was that organized, professional dogfights are different from just seeing two dogs fight–however intensely and violently–and different from working with fighting-trained pits in shelter or rescue setting where they’re not fighting. Your comment at 11:48 sounds like you might have been at at least one organized, professional dogfighting event.

And if you were, the two most obvious explanations would be that you were participating, or you were investigating. And you don’t overall sound like either is likely. So I’m confused, and I bet EmilyS is too.

Comment by Lis — July 18, 2007 @ 2:09 pm

28. The point is not to digress into the differences between dog fights (trained pits fighting verses untrained pits fighting),
    the point is that those watching (in my case as innocent bystanders) were mesmerized by the power and strength and determination of the pits – it is entertaining.

Comment by Jamie — July 18, 2007 @ 2:33 pm

29. CNN just ran an intro/teaser for the upcoming story on this. the type on the screen finally got it right, imo:

Blood “Sport”.

Comment by straybaby — July 18, 2007 @ 2:39 pm

30. Actually, it IS important to note that this isn’t just about dogs scrapping “naturally.” Not for the regulars here, who ARE aware of organized dog-fighting, but for people who drop by looking for “Michael Vick” news.

Here’s why:

I was talking recently to a pretty smart and talented guy, former sportswriter who has covered the Olympics, the PGA and much more. He was unaware of the very existence of organized dog-fighting. No idea at all.

He’s not an animal-lover, and is fairly oblivious to animal issues. I got to think there are others like him — as incredible as that seems to us — and it’s important to make sure they realize this indictment isn’t an issue of some casual and sort of accidental dog getting out and fighting with others.

Comment by Gina Spadafori — July 18, 2007 @ 2:50 pm

31. very true Gina. I was just reading comments on a sports blog and there was the lack of understanding with some about what ‘real’ dog fighting is judging by their remarks. there were also many that thought it was a race issue (and that was the cause of the uproar). the people remarking that actually understood dog fighting and/or read through the whole indictment had very different comments, to say the least!

they just played the video of Clinton Portis on CNN where he obviously sees nothing wrong with it. It was around in the south where he grew up, just down any road . . . OY! i had heard about his comments, but seeing him say them was entirely different.

seems congress is paying attention to this also in regards to how the NFL handles it.

Comment by straybaby — July 18, 2007 @ 3:00 pm

32. A pit trained as a “dog fighter”, who is seasoned in the ring, is no match for the untrained house pet or even street smart dog. A pit trained in this terrible sport is a killing machine. And those particpating in this deadly sport should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Comment by Jamie — July 18, 2007 @ 3:02 pm

33. Maybe they should be hog-tied and tossed into the ring with a few experienced animals…

Oh, I’m soooooooooo sorry, hog-tied seems to be racially degrading these days… I guess it’s safe to say hand-and-ankle-cuffed…

Comment by steve a — July 18, 2007 @ 3:12 pm

34. In addition to the dog fights, investigators on this case have reported on alleged hanging and electrocution of dogs that lost by the persons involved in these fights.

How much hatred can people (and I use that term very loosely) have in their heart to carry out, go along with, and/or participate in such activities?

Comment by Sandy — July 18, 2007 @ 3:30 pm

35. The people charged and convicted in this Dog-Fighting Ring should be judged according to their own rules – may they receive the same amount mercy shown the pits who lost fights at their dog fighting bouts –

And that amounts to zip mercy.

Comment by Jamie — July 18, 2007 @ 3:41 pm

36. ****Hey, PET CONNECTION, I can’t believe you only have a measly 34 comments on this subject. I’ve been on TMZ on and off all day – their story on Vick is SMOKIN’. They’re almost at 600 comments! (It’s competitive with the Anna Nicole story input.) I wonder why you haven’t gotten more entries on this considering you are a type of animal advocate site. Strange, oh well…….. I only hope anyone who’s commenting is also sharing their feelings about this despicable person with all his endorsement sponsors (ie. Coke, Nike, Kraft Foods, etc.), the NFL Commissioner (Goodell), and of course the people who count at the Falcons franchise. Hit ‘em all where it hurts the most…… in the wallet, baby!!!!!!!

Comment by laura S — July 18, 2007 @ 3:46 pm

37. Laura S, Im guessing just because there arent comments, doesnt mean people arent reading the story. If anyone is like me, I find the whole subject of pit bull fighting hard to even think about, its very very upsetting. So much so, that I really am at a loss for words on what to say about it but here’s my comment for better or for worse. I dont know what it says when TMZ has as many comments about a pit bull story as it did with an Anna Nicole story but oh well…I guess I would be inclined to think the reason for the 600 comments on TMZ has more to do with a sports player in hot water rather than the poor animals who have died but hopefully Im wrong.

Comment by Sandi K — July 18, 2007 @ 4:25 pm

38. I guess I need to change my phrase from pit bull fighting to dog fighting as it sounds like it wasnt specifically just one breed that was abused.

Comment by Sandi K — July 18, 2007 @ 4:34 pm

39. Sandy K…..Happily you couldn’t be more wrong! 99.9999% of the TMZ comments are from very caring people who are sickened about this report. They speak from the heart and pull very few punches… English can be such a colorful language!

My point of comparing The Vick story response to the A.N. Smith story was to illustrate just how passionate people are about it and how they want to be heard. You should check it out, you’d probably be pleasantly surprised. It’s not nice to judge a book by it’s cover and quess what the story’s about…..

Comment by laura S — July 18, 2007 @ 4:50 pm

40. laura s – this is not the first thread on PetConnection about Vick. Gina’s been covering this story for at least a couple months now.

Comment by The OTHER Pat — July 18, 2007 @ 5:00 pm

41. T.O.Pat..I’m familiar with this site, thank you. Gosh, for people who supposedly care about animals, you’re all giving a lot of negative attitude. I’m taking my biz back to TMZ…they seem to care a lot more there and they’re much less stuffy…….See ya!!!!

Comment by laura S — July 18, 2007 @ 5:13 pm

42. To Laura S: Here’s some negative attitude for you:

“I’ve been on TMZ on and off all day – their story on Vick is SMOKIN’. They’re almost at 600 comments! (It’s competitive with the Anna Nicole story input.) I wonder why you haven’t gotten more entries on this considering you are a type of animal advocate site”.

TMZ is a general interest celebrity news site -I would imagine that their audience is a lot larger than a niche site dedicated to critical animal related issues. But the people on this site aren’t interested in celebrity gossip/worship – unless it relates to something involving animals.

Please go back to TMZ where you can blog all day on Mel Gibson, Paris Hilton and all those other oh so important people and leave us in peace. And don’t let the door hit ya on the way out.

Comment by Andrea 2CatMom — July 18, 2007 @ 6:07 pm

43. Mr Vick is toast IMO , finished, career kaput. Sponsors will be dropping him. NFL will ban him. If the Falcons would be so stupid to have him play next week(and they are not stupid) , half the stadium will boo him off the field.
    The link below(courtesy of HSUS) allows you to Email NFL commissioner Roger Goodell painlessly.
    The link was down for a while due to such a tremendous response of HSUS members. Way to go!!!

Comment by Serijna — July 18, 2007 @ 6:43 pm

44. My letter to NFL Commissioner:

Vick and his cohorts need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Michael Vick needs to go to JAIL, not the Falcon training camp. He also needs to get psychological counseling for his treatment of innocent, helpless animals. I cannot tell you how appalled I am to hear of a man with his success, talent, privilege, and RESPONSIBILITY AS A ROLE MODEL TO YOUNG PEOPLE being so stupid, cruel, ignorant, and downright evil as to be involved in this utterly shamless activity.
    Vick is a disgrace to the game of football and to the many many outstanding citizens in the League. THE NFL SHOULD AT THE VERY LEAST SUSPEND AND MORE RIGHTLY BAN MICHAEL VICK FROM THE NFL–FOR-EVER!!!

Comment by Barb — July 18, 2007 @ 7:02 pm

45. We need to get contact info for the DA’s office prosecuting Vick and demand he get the maximum penalty allowed!

I have seen and heard about much animal abuse but to me, the sport of dogfighting is the most abhorrent abuse. And it’s a dangerous business to investigate. Kudo’s to those investigators who have been following this case for, what appears, years. I have no doubt they dotted all their i’s and crossed all their t’s with this case. Vick is going down!

Although Katrina is known to have taken some 88,700 animals (still unaccounted for) unfortunately Katrina didn’t take the dog fighting scumbags that were so prevelent throughout the city before the storm. Even while 1,000’s of volunteers spent 14 hour days trying to save the lost, abandoned and abused animals of this city, local dogfighters were back at it within the first month. In the early days, many dogs, notably pit bulls, were disappearing from Lamar Dixon, the staging area set up to house NOLA’s rescued animals. Suspected of this were the dog fighters.

While eating at a restaurant one night, a local resident who sat next to our table told us that he knew where dog fighting was taking place just 2 miles from where we were; taking place as he spoke to us. I was livid! I later tried to get other rescuers to drive by the location with me, but all were too fearful.

He also told us about a very good friend of his who was an undercover cop that had been investigating the local dogfighting ring for about a year. Said dogfighters discovered who he was and slit his throat, killing him and that the NOPD covered up the murder. He told us that local politicians, businessmen and police officers are all involved in this sport. And guess who his undercop friend told him was one of the ring leaders? The owners of Harrah’s Casino!

Comment by Barb — July 18, 2007 @ 7:04 pm

46. Comment by Serijna — July 18, 2007 @ 6:43 pm

he will not be playing in a game next week. the team is to report to training camp on the 26th, same day he’s due in court. games with fans don’t start for a bit, preseason or otherwise. i haven’t even been notified about when the fantasy draft starts yet ;) plenty of time for the Falcons to find a work around Vick. i have seen Falcon fans blogging about who should replace him, and the “stupid” move of their org to let another QB go. Vick looks to be on shakey ground when it comes to Atlanta fans.

Comment by straybaby — July 18, 2007 @ 7:55 pm

47. Hopefully the IRS gets in on the action and takes a close look at michael vick’s reported earnings and income sources.

It’s almost hard to believe that the mentality of cavemen still exist in modern day society.

Another blog referred to michael as “lower than scum pond”. I thought this was much too kind.

Comment by Gordon — July 18, 2007 @ 8:42 pm

48. WOAI in San Antonio had the full court filing for Vick. Very gruesome deaths for those poor doggies. Many were electrocuted. One of the dates was from 2002.

Comment by Kat — July 18, 2007 @ 8:44 pm

49. Comment by laura S — July 18, 2007 @ 4:50 pm

Laura S, I have no problem with being proven wrong, I hope thats the case that the over 600 comments on TMZ are all because they are upset over the very sad life and then death of these poor dogs, that would be a good thing. Im curious whether there were as many comments on TMZ when the pet food poisoning occurred? And my I clearly said I was guessing about the comments on TMZ so I wasnt judging the book by its cover as I didnt read the “cover” at TMZ and probably wont.

Comment by Sandi K — July 19, 2007 @ 7:04 am

50. Republicans must run this blog because apparently not everyone is treated the same. If you’re going to remove my comments, then it’s only fair that you remove any responses to my comments. When you don’t, that’s called “playing dirty.”

Comment by laura S — July 19, 2007 @ 9:09 am

51. Laura, please start addressing the issues, not attacking another blog commentor with whom you have a problem.

Your posts are being deleted because they are attacking another commentor, not sticking to discussion of the topic.

No double-standard here: You’re being rude. Knock it off.

Comment by Gina Spadafori — July 19, 2007 @ 9:46 am

52. Comment by Kat — July 18, 2007 @ 8:44 pm

Kat, I feel so sad for those poor dogs. I just hope that they are in a better, happier place. I hope they can see everything now and see that not all humans treat animals this way but I dont know, I have a hard time not being ashamed of the human race at times like this. Bless you, your poor doggies, may you find all the wonderful love, caring and respect that you deserve!

Comment by Sandi K — July 19, 2007 @ 7:05 pm

53. Last night, Jim Lehrer News Hour had Wayne Pacelle, President of ASPCA & Bobby Brown, the author of “Off the Chain”. If it airs again, on PBS, everyone should watch it. Bobby Brown went “underground” to dog fights & got videos.

Here’s the transcript: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/sports/july-dec07/dogfighting_07-19.html

Looks like there’s a link to the audio too!

Comment by Kat — July 20, 2007 @ 4:53 pm

54. Vick is a sick man. A man who uses helpless animals for his pleasure. Compared to the millions he makes in football, it couldn’t of been the winning (dollar amount) that Vick got his rocks off. It was the blood and killings hat excited this sicko. Think of the hundreds of dogs they used to train their pup pits to kill. These poor helpless animals were used for one thing: to teach the pits to kill and get the taste of blood. To teach the pits to go for the neck of the smaller and more helpless non-pit breed that lay helpless on his back as the pit dug its teeth in to rip out the helpless dogs throat. No tears, no screams, just pure pain as the pits trained on the homeless and helpless dogs so Vick could get his rocks off. Vick deserves more than 7 years…he deserves to be put away in the meanest dog loving prison in the U.S. to know the fear the dogs felt during those 7 years vick housed a torture and killing field. Vick you deserve to be sent away for life. I’d pay to watch you in a pit with a pack of hungry dogs.

Comment by Jack — July 27, 2007 @ 1:21 pm