What the heck is Quixote? Part Two

May 22, 2007

BabyQ

Update: All guesses in! Contest over!

Dr. Becker says that when they adopted Quixote they were told he was a mix of papillon, poodle and Yorkie. But the DNA testing tells a different story. Quixote is a mix of Chihuahua, Yorkie and Pomeranian!

I’ll sort out the winners in the a.m. One random draw from all the people on both posts, and alll Dr. Becker’s books to anyone who guessed right before 7 p.m. PT. (Not sure if anyone did. Christie was close, but not eligible, whether she rocks or not.)

***

We showed you a picture yesterday of Dr. Becker’s little guy (14 pounds), and asked you to guess what breeds were involved. Dr. Becker has run one of those DNA parentage tests, and knows the result. (So do I, but I’m not telling.)

More help: Quixote’s puppy pic, top right.

Quixote, grown up. I’ll post the results on this tread at the end of the day. Guess away. Don’t forget to see the pic of Don Quixote grown up (right), which I’ve brought up here from the previous post. Yes, same dog!

Update: Carol PW’s comment is my favorite guess so far:

Quixote is obviously the same mix as my Puck – a cross between Much Loved and Very Handsome, with a little I’m So Special mixed in.

I’ll post the test results at 7 p.m. PT. Get your guesses in!

How about a sweetener? We’ll send a copy of “Why Do Dogs Drink Out of the Toilet?” or “Do Cats Always Land on Their Feet? — signed by BOTH me and Dr. Becker — to one of the guessers, chosen randomly. (Here’s more about the books.)

Three hours to go. Guess. Guess. Guess.

Also: Black Dog says they’ve upgraded the blogging software. We HOPE HOPE HOPE that fixed the IE6 problems for good. If not, complain to Henry. He’s VP for Marketing and Customer Relations at Black Dog.

Filed under: pets, connected — Gina Spadafori @ 9:33 am

1. Pekingese?? Lhasa??

Comment by Priscilla Patterson — May 22, 2007 @ 9:52 am

2. Whatever he is, he’s awfully cute.

Comment by Katherine — May 22, 2007 @ 10:36 am

3. I’m doing my best to come up with something – I think he’s part “snowball” – like a soft sweet goodie.

Comment by Linda — May 22, 2007 @ 11:42 am

4. I’m sticking with Pom/Chi.

Comment by Christie Keith — May 22, 2007 @ 11:44 am

5. I’ll go with “muppet”. :)

Comment by Ally — May 22, 2007 @ 11:48 am

6. Lhasa Apso and Corgi?

Comment by Lynn — May 22, 2007 @ 11:53 am

7. Looks like a lot of huggy to me! Whatever, he’s one cute fella. I wish I’d been able to trace the lineage of one of my rescue dogs, who was off to be drowned when I grabbed him from his careless family/owners. All I know is that he seemed to be a reversion to pure original dog, sort of like one of those things you see on the public television nature programs. My vet kindly called him a hybrid and we all loved him dearly. But wouldn’t I just love to know who his daddy was.

Comment by Nancy Nielsen — May 22, 2007 @ 12:08 pm

8. Guess I’ll throw my guess in too. Pom/Pek

Comment by Sandy C — May 22, 2007 @ 12:23 pm

9. And a touch of Chi. :) Tho I think Christie’s probably got the closest guess. Hate it when I hit submit too soon.

Comment by Sandy C — May 22, 2007 @ 12:29 pm

10. Sheltie/Llasa? (Sorry if this appears again…I voted an hour ago and haven’t seen it…)

Comment by Maureen — May 22, 2007 @ 12:48 pm

11. I am a cat purrson…. but pom/cavalier??? Whatever the mix, he’s adorable.

Comment by Moira — May 22, 2007 @ 12:58 pm

12. Shepherd and Chihuahua mix

Comment by Linda — May 22, 2007 @ 1:13 pm

13. I want to play, but I’m such a cat person that I don’t know dog breeds very well. So… what Christie said. :D

Comment by Katherine — May 22, 2007 @ 2:03 pm

14. Pek-a-Pom or a Shep-a-Chow or a Gold-a-Rotta

I give. He’s soooo cute. I just want to give him a little squeeze.

Comment by petlover — May 22, 2007 @ 2:12 pm

15. Shephard and Schipperke mix and this is my final pick, I think????

Comment by Linda — May 22, 2007 @ 2:19 pm

16. Well, the ears in this pic make me think some kind of Spaniel, but the adult pic sure seems to have Pom in there. Cocker/Pom?

Comment by Amara — May 22, 2007 @ 2:42 pm

17. Chihuahua/Shih Tzu

Comment by Stefania — May 22, 2007 @ 2:53 pm

18. How much does this DNA test cost? I have a dog that I’d like tested as I don’t know what kind he is – even though people try to guess him -

Comment by Linda — May 22, 2007 @ 3:12 pm

19. I think Chow/Shep mix too.

I think some Chow/Shep too.

Can anyone give me some help or advice? My son is in college in Atlanta and found a dog last month wandering around in HomePark late on a Saturday night. She was really skinny and dirty and had a collar but no tags, so took her to his apartment. He cleaned her up the next day and tried to find her owner – no luck. Over the next couple of days, he called all of the shelters to take her – all full. He’s been trying to find her a home since then. This weekend, he’s leaving Atlanta for his summer job and doesn’t know what to do with her. Shelters are still full. He said she’s so ugly she’s cute – ~25 lbs. scruffy light brown hair, nice disposition, calm. Does anyone know any no-kill shelters near Atlanta that might take her?

Comment by Cathy — May 22, 2007 @ 3:12 pm

20. Here’s one:

Comment by Linda — May 22, 2007 @ 3:15 pm

21. Darn, that just cats and kittens. Maybe they will know of a place for dogs. Sorry!

Comment by Linda — May 22, 2007 @ 3:21 pm

22. Quixote is defintely quixotic! I vote for any of the 3 P’s: Pap, Pom or Peke in his ancestry.

Comment by Deb — May 22, 2007 @ 3:37 pm

23. Well, he’s definitely NOT a Deerhound.

Comment by Cate — May 22, 2007 @ 3:39 pm

24. He might be a border collie, but you won’t know for sure until you see him work.

He actually looks like chow-and-something.

Comment by Luisa — May 22, 2007 @ 3:58 pm

25. What do we win if we’ve guessed correctly?

Can we have sporadic “What am I?” photo for bloggers to guess the breeds? I have two pups from a shelter and don’t know what mix they are.

Comment by petlover — May 22, 2007 @ 4:03 pm

26. Yeah, I have a couple I’d like to add too!

Comment by Linda — May 22, 2007 @ 4:06 pm

27. I don’t know how old he is or what he weighs but he looks like an Aus. Shep or Cattle and German Shep mix. If he’s a smaller breed, I would guess Corgi/Shep mix.

Comment by Cindy — May 22, 2007 @ 4:26 pm

28. Thanks Linda – I’ll check them out.

Comment by Cathy — May 22, 2007 @ 4:40 pm

29. Pom/Shih Tzu? or Pom/Lhasa? Can’t wait to see the results!

Comment by Ingrid — May 22, 2007 @ 5:14 pm

30. I agree with Stefania – Shih Tzu/Chihuahua.

Comment by Kathy — May 22, 2007 @ 5:24 pm

31. My guess was from the top picture of a puppy. I can’t tell if that second picture is supposed to be the same dog but I don’t see how it could be without that brindle on the face? I jumped into this a little late.

Comment by Cindy — May 22, 2007 @ 5:30 pm

32. Well, wait a minute, I only saw the pic in the chair! The 2nd one looks like a different dog? You wouldn’t be trying to fool us would you Gina?

The 2nd pic looks like a Pom/Terrier mix.Any more pics to share before 7pm? LOL

Comment by Priscilla Patterson — May 22, 2007 @ 5:48 pm

33. Shiba Inu/Papillion X

Comment by Gail B — May 22, 2007 @ 5:49 pm

34. And, were there any fanatical groomers involved between the two pics? LOL

Comment by Priscilla Patterson — May 22, 2007 @ 5:50 pm

35. Cathy,

This maybe a long shot but have your son take the dog to a vet who has a scanner to check for microchips.

Perhaps you may end up with a new addition to your furry family?

Comment by Priscilla Patterson — May 22, 2007 @ 5:52 pm

36. No CGI, no bait-and-switch, not littermates these are unretouched photos of Quixote as a 7-week-old puppy and as a two year old adult. As you can see, he lost the tri-color fur and replaced it with tan and white hair. For those of you guessing, not a single veterinariran or veterinary staff member (probably a 100 have taken a stab) has ever correctly guessed the three breeds this Heinz 57, Canine Cocktail or Designer Mutt is made up of. If any of you guess correctly by 7:00 p.m. PT, I’ll up Gina’s generous offer and send you autographed copies of the 10 other books I’ve authored or co-authored.

Comment by Dr. Marty Becker — May 22, 2007 @ 6:09 pm

37. Recall Expansion: Menu Foods Adds Two More to Canadian Recall List

In a press release dated today, Menu Foods has added two more items to their Canadian recall list:

Comment by Steve — May 22, 2007 @ 6:12 pm

38. My heavens!!! I do not even have signed copies of all of your books!

OK, but I did promise a random drawing … so that will still be. But Dr. Becker has upped the ante for anyone who guesses all three breeds that made up “Lazaruff,” aka Quixote the Wonder Dog.

Comment by Gina Spadafori — May 22, 2007 @ 6:19 pm

39. Papillon & Pomeranian mix is my guess

Comment by AnnA — May 22, 2007 @ 6:22 pm

40. Chow, pug & peke

Comment by Schnauzer — May 22, 2007 @ 6:28 pm

41. Oh wait, a mix of 3…
    Cairn Terrier, Papillon & Pomeranian

Comment by AnnA — May 22, 2007 @ 6:36 pm

42. corgi/papillon/pom. what a great smile!

Comment by cam — May 22, 2007 @ 6:47 pm

43. Three – oh my goodness. Well, Schipperke, Shepherd, and Chihuahua

Comment by Linda — May 22, 2007 @ 6:56 pm

44. How about Pomeranian, Tibetan Spaniel & Schipperke.

Comment by catlover — May 22, 2007 @ 6:59 pm

45. Hope I’m not too late! Shiba Inu/Sheltie/Pom.

Comment by Heather — May 22, 2007 @ 7:00 pm

46. His grown-up photo looks nothing like the baby one – this is the same dog? Can’t judge puppies – they can really surprise us – I thought it was a different dog.

Comment by Linda — May 22, 2007 @ 7:34 pm

47. ok, it’s after 7 pm….tell us please?!

Comment by Cindy — May 22, 2007 @ 7:41 pm

48. don’t forget…some of us voted on the original Quixote link without benefit of baby picture!

Comment by elizabeth R. — May 22, 2007 @ 7:42 pm

49. Probably too late…but I didn’t have 3..
    Cocker/Pom/Havanese (only because I have seen Havanese coats change color dramatically as they aged)

Comment by Amara — May 22, 2007 @ 7:43 pm

50. I didn’t know it was three, but I did get Pom and Chi right.

I so rule.

Comment by Christie Keith — May 22, 2007 @ 7:50 pm

51. I guess we should have asked how big he is….it’s kind of hard to tell by the pic. What is the 3rd breed, oh ruler of doggie DNA? :)

Comment by Amara — May 22, 2007 @ 8:00 pm

52. Yeah we have the answer – still looks like a fox to me!

Comment by Linda — May 22, 2007 @ 8:19 pm

53. PS Thank you for the change of pace – all the other news is just plain depressing.

Comment by Linda — May 22, 2007 @ 8:20 pm

54. I second Linda. Thank you for the break. It is still hard to imagine that is the same dog in both pics! (I guess I should pay more attention as the weight was stated clearly…duh…) He’s cute regardless of the breed mix. I have some mixed up mutts of my own that I would be interested in finding out what’s really in there. I guess I can see Yorkie in the pup pic, but would have never guessed it in the older one. Thanks again for a little light-hearted “playtime”.

Comment by Amara — May 22, 2007 @ 8:45 pm

55. Is the answer hiding somewhere? I didn’t find it.

But he sure looks like he has Finnish Spitz in there somewhere!

Comment by The OTHER Pat — May 22, 2007 @ 8:57 pm

56. Hey folks – another slip from Menu Foods – something they “accidentally left off the list”

Comment by Lynn — May 22, 2007 @ 9:52 pm

Comment by Lynn — May 22, 2007 @ 9:57 pm

57. There was a book I saw ages ago, now long out of print, that basically shows lots of mixed breed dogs,and most of the dogs look nothing at all like their known parentage. The book featured “impossible to guess dogs”.
    Anyone know the name of it? Except for maybe the puppy coloring, the yorkie part threw me. Does the test show how much of a % of each mix?
    Nancy

Comment by nancy — May 23, 2007 @ 4:25 am

58. Which is food for thought for anyone contemplating buying from a “breeder” of “Designer mixes”. There is no way ANYONE can predict the throw of the genetic dice when mixing two breeds. They’d like to tell you they can predict what the puppies will grow up to look like, but the fact is, any given puppy may pick up any given combination of visual genetic traits from either or both parents.

I love dogs – ALL dogs – whether mixed breeds or purebred. But there are enough wonderful mixed breed dogs in shelters waiting for homes that no ne needs to be intentionally creating more, deceiving the public that they can predict what the puppies will grow up to look like, and slap on a fancy label along with a fancy price!

Comment by The OTHER Pat — May 23, 2007 @ 4:43 am

59. Cathy,

Re: Atlanta no-kill shelters that take dogs, try PAWS Atlanta. http://www.pawsatlanta.org/

Comment by Katherine — May 23, 2007 @ 6:24 am

60. I’ll go with Pom and Corgi.

Comment by Dog — May 25, 2007 @ 11:52 am

61. Hope I am not too late. I will go with Pom/Corgi.

Thanks,

Dog

Comment by Dog — May 25, 2007 @ 11:54 am

62. i would say hes a pomeranian and papillon mixed.I had a male dog named Biscuit and he looked alot like the pic of this dog.That is a wonderful breed to mix.He was the most sweetest loving dog i ever had and he never barked,he got hit by a car and i miss him very very much! but i think this little guy is definetly pomeranian and papillon mixed.

Comment by Bonnie — June 16, 2007 @ 3:22 pm

63. Yes I would agree – Pomeranian and Papallion a wonderful mixed bread or Papallion and border Collie the smile would win in any contest and reminds me of a Border collie – whatever a real charmer.

Lynn