DogCars.com and what in the heck is Quixote?

May 21, 2007

Quixote a/k/a LazaruffBusy day here. I’m totally wiped out and doped up on meds for back spasms, which is limiting both my productivity and my ability to make much sense. (At times like these, Flexoril is your friend!)
But I’ll try to be coherent — at least as much as I usually am — in posting a couple of new things for the afternoon. Sitting hurts, so this might be it for the afternoon until Christie and Rebel get back from the vet’s.

First, cool article and video featuring our Dr. Becker on the company the DNA tests mixed-breed dogs and gives you and idea of what breeds went into them:

[...T]hanks to a new doggie DNA test — the wisdom panel from Mars Veterinary — curious mutt owners can finally trace their dogs’ roots.

“This is where high tech meets high touch. You’re going to take a small blood sample from this dog and take its unique DNA and be able to determine what the breed makeup is and it’s ancestry,” Dr. Marty Becker told “Good Morning America Weekend Edition.” “So you will know its grandparents, its parents and know exactly what kind of dogs are in this makeup of this mixed breed.”

dogcars.comDr. Becker put family dog Quixote to the test. Look at his picture: What do you think he is? Put your best guess in the comments. I’ll come back and post the results later.

Quixote is also now known as Lazaruff. Last week he suddenly became very ill, but thanks to having a top veterinarian for a daddy, he pulled through. And now he’s fine, with no ill effects except a new nickname.

Also … our new DogCars.com Web site was featured in  an article on MSNBC.com. Check out the article … and the Web site!

The DogCar reviews on the site have turned out to be so popular that people are using them to help select new cars. So far, I’m responsible for the purchase of a brand-new Honda Element and Kia Sedona minivan.

We have another new Web site, by the way: CanineKisses.com. You can put pictures of your kissing canine on there, and vote on all the pictures.

Filed under: pets, connected — Gina Spadafori @ 1:26 pm

1. I’ll take a stab: Pomeranian X Corgi.
    Should I win any sizable amount of prize money (that is, anything over 24 cents) please advise. ; )

Comment by slt — May 21, 2007 @ 2:01 pm

2. That is for sure a mini-fox. can’t be a dog, naw, just a spunky little mixen of a fox.

Comment by Linda — May 21, 2007 @ 2:05 pm

3. Gosh, he looks EXACTLY like the fox [stuffed animal] I keep on my bed.

Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Red
    Fox? [Don't they have comparative chromosomes?]

Gina: best therapy for lower back pain/spasms is walking.

Comment by Lynn — May 21, 2007 @ 3:09 pm

4. Chi/Pom.

Comment by Christie Keith — May 21, 2007 @ 3:36 pm

5. That cute little foxy critter looks part Pomeranian to me.

Sorry about your back Gina, I can sympathize with lower back problems. I have to stand or walk when my back gets really bad, sitting is the worst. Hope you feel better soon.

Comment by catlover — May 21, 2007 @ 4:02 pm

6. Gina,

I imagine you have the best of doctor advice but here is my two cents, walking is soooo very good and with your dogs I bet you do tons of it, but also working on firming stomach muscles also helps the back – don’t know why – but it just does. Hope you feel better soon.

Comment by Linda — May 21, 2007 @ 4:13 pm

7. Gina and Black Dog:

Why, at the end of Gina’s blog for this subject, does it say 6 comments, and yet when I go to the 6 comments, there are only 2?

“Filed under: animals: pets, dogcars.com, dogmobiles — Gina Spadafori @ 1:26 pm
    Comments (6)”

Something happened after 2PM and about 3:30 PM when I tried to enter my comment, which never got up there.

Comment by Lynn — May 21, 2007 @ 4:29 pm

8. Aha, now you see it, now you don’t….now I see it. Must be some gremlin lurking beneath the screen.

Comment by Lynn — May 21, 2007 @ 4:30 pm

9. To make it a fair contest we need to know Quixote’s approximate poundage, Gina! Can’t really tell size from the pic.

I have an 120 lb “something” who is going to have the DNA test as soon as available! He is currently known in our circle as the International Dog of Mystery.

Comment by elizabeth R. — May 21, 2007 @ 5:12 pm

10. He’s not big, but I don’t know how small. Less than 20, for sure. Between 10 and 20, I think.

Dr. Becker’s at work — on his way home, now — so I can’t ask. Maybe he’ll pipe up when he sees this.

Comment by Gina Spadafori — May 21, 2007 @ 6:05 pm

11. Quixote is obviously the same mix as my Puck – a cross between Much Loved and Very Handsome, with a little I’m So Special mixed in.

Comment by Carol PW — May 21, 2007 @ 6:49 pm

12. If you can’t wait until July (when the Mars test will be available through veterinary offices), you can get a DNA test through Metamorphix Inc:

Their “Canine Heritage Test” has been available for a couple of months now — but it only tests for 38 breeds. Too bad that Mars (megacorp) is so likely to crush the independent company that came out with this first (since Mars has megafunds and “proprietary” genetic information to bring to bear)….

(I have the Canine Heritage kits for my two dogs but haven’t taken the dna swabs and sent them in for testing yet….0

Comment by Ann Dupuis — May 21, 2007 @ 7:09 pm

13. The Pom-Corgi mix is a really good guess,slt. I’m definitely going with Pom….maybe crossed with a terrier of some sort, (border? rat?) Those ears look kinda Shi Tzu-ish, tho. Tricky!

Comment by elizabeth R. — May 21, 2007 @ 8:09 pm

14. Quixote, short for Dog Quixote, is a neutered male, three and one half years old and weighs 14-pounds. He wears Lycra body suits that are custom imprinted in block yellow letters: CAUTION: I can’t hold my licker!

Comment by Dr. Marty Becker — May 21, 2007 @ 8:52 pm

15. I’m thinking Pom-Corgi, too, but the abundant tail feathers are a stumper. Some spaniel there, too, maybe?

I don’t know if I’d want to confirm the dubious provenance of my own “designer original.” We have so much fun speculating!

Comment by Laura — May 21, 2007 @ 9:51 pm

16. You son’t suppose it’s a Shih Tzu and Corgi, do you? If he plays with stuffed animal, then we KNOW there’s some lion dog in there. That coloring! So rich! But the smile is the best of all features.

Comment by Lynn — May 21, 2007 @ 10:41 pm

17. I love guessing breeds. As always it is hard to tell from a pic. Before I knew he was teeny, I guessed Pom/Shiba Inu. Now I guese I am going with Christie and a Pom/Chi, although maybe Jap. Chin in there…
    Nancy

Comment by nancy — May 22, 2007 @ 3:07 am

18. HI Gina-I had a qeustion about Canine Kisses. It seems like it only shows a few shots. Will there be a link to see more? Am I missing something?
    nancy

Comment by nancy — May 22, 2007 @ 3:14 am

19. CanineKisses.com is NEW. So … as people add pictures there will be more to vote on.

Comment by Gina Spadafori — May 22, 2007 @ 5:24 am

20. CanineKisses.com is pretty cute, but what about KittyKisses?

Yes, as a matter of fact I DO have a picture of my 14 year old cat kissing me. ;)

Comment by Katherine — May 22, 2007 @ 7:25 am

21. One thing at a time …

Actually, a couple of people HAVE loaded kissin’ kitty pics in there.

Comment by Gina Spadafori — May 22, 2007 @ 7:40 am

22. From the pic, I really cannot see if this adorable doggy has flop ears or erect ears.
    Not enough fur for a pom, maybe even schnauzer mix in it and a fox tail.

Comment by Serijna — May 22, 2007 @ 3:51 pm