Pet-food recall: The FDA expands import hold, and FINALLY puts up some numbers

April 30, 2007

• If you have a sick pet or a question on your pet’s health, call your veterinarian.
  • If you’re new to the site, please check out our general information page (includes information on recalled foods).
  • If you want to report a sick or deceased pet, click here.

USA Today just posted this absolutely jaw-dropping development:

The Food and Drug Administration is enforcing a new import alert that greatly expands its curtailment of some food ingredients imported from China, authorizing border inspectors to detain ingredients used in everything from noodles to breakfast bars.

The new restriction is likely to cause delays in the delivery of raw ingredients for the production of many commonly used products.

The move reflects the FDA’s growing unease with what the alert announcement called China’s “manufacturing control issues” issues and that country’s inability to ascertain what controls are in place to prevent food contamination. For example, the agency says that, after weeks of investigation, it still does not know what regions of China are affected or what firms there are major manufacturers of vegetable proteins.

Inspectors are now allowed to detain vegetable-protein imports from China because they may contain the chemical melamine. Melamine, used in the manufacture of plastics, was found in the wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate that has led to the recall of 5,300 pet food products.

[...]

An import alert of this breadth is rare. Before this new FDA action, only products from two Chinese companies that exported the melamine-tainted wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate had been detained.

Now for the products to reach U.S. foodmakers, the importers will have to prove to the FDA that they are safe. The ingredients restricted include wheat gluten, rice gluten, rice protein, rice protein concentrate, corn gluten, corn gluten meal, corn by-products, soy protein, soy gluten, mung-bean protein and amino acids.

USA Today’s Elizabeth Weise and Julie Schmit deserve Pulitzers for the work they’ve done on this story.

And that ain’t all. The same import alert — which must be read to be believed — notes an extremely large jump in the number of pets the FDA is willing to suggest have been killed by tainted products.

Here’s the deal:

The day after FDA officials repeated the “17 or 18″ dead pets mantra in a media teleconference — the same one at which they said they weren’t expecting more recalls, even though a recall was made just before or during the media conference, and four more in the hours after — the alert dropped quietly onto the FDA’s Web site. It happens to note:

This has been one of the largest pet food recalls in history, a recall that continues to expand. Thus far, 18 firms have recalled product, 17 Class I and 1 class II, covering over 5,300 product lines. As of April 26, 2007, FDA had received over 17,000 consumer complaints relating to this outbreak, and those complaints included reports of approximately 1950 deaths of cats and 2200 deaths of dogs.

Emphasis mine.

April 26, by the way, was the same day that at the media conference (here’s the transcript), the FDA said:

REPORTER: Thank you. Jim Kirshner with WDIV-TV in Detroit. I think this was asked earlier, and I may have missed the answer or it didn’t get answered. Do you have a total number of pets either killed or sustaining some sort of injury from the pet food contamination? What figures do you have confirmed at this point?

DR. MCCHESNEY: This is Dan McChesney from FDA. What I previously said I believe in response to the Washington Post question was that it’s in the high teens, maybe 17 or 18 that we have confirmed. But again that’s not our focus. Our focus is to remove product that was contaminated, contained either wheat gluten or rice concentrate from commerce so we don’t involve other animals or get it into other parts of the supply system.

REPORTER: At some point will you make a count, take a count, of the number of dogs, cats involved?

DR. MCCHESNEY: I don’t know. We’ve had multiple, many thousand calls from consumers, and we are looking at that, but I’m not sure we will ever come up with a final number here. It’s just, I just don’t think we can ever get there.

Emphasis mine, again. Apparently they got there, although I am sure these are considered “unconfirmed.”

Look … you would not believe the crap we have had to take for our Pet Connection database. We have been accused of promoting everything from hysteria to our own careers, and through it all the FDA has said nothing that substantiated what we and the independent Veterinary Information Network knew was the scope of the tragedy.

Here are numbers reported by pet owners into the Pet Connection database, updated just a few minutes ago:

• Total reports of illness or death: 14,228
  • Total cats reported dead: 2,334 cats
  • Total dogs reported dead: 2,249

Back to the FDA report:

• Total reports of illness or death: 17,000
  • Total cats reported dead: 1950
  • Total dogs reported dead: 2,200

Perhaps now every time a media outlet says “16” or even “17 or 18″ or “high teens” or some other such nonsense, the reporter will get this FDA document in their e-mail inbox from, like, every one of us who cares about making these pets count.

I take absolutely no joy in being “right,” and I would gladly be wrong to have all those pets still alive. But I truly do believe if it weren’t for the pressure from those of us working to get this information out and force the FDA to step up, there’d be a lot more people grieving for their pets tonight.

And tainted products would still be flowing into this country.

Update from Christie on the night shift: From the Washington Post:

“I do think this pet food thing has shown people, including people at the very highest levels of the administration, that something needs to be fixed,” said William Hubbard, associate director of the FDA from 1991 to 2005. “If this isn’t a wake-up call, then people are so asleep they are catatonic.”

Go to the latest blog post | Go to the PetConnection home page

|Technorati Tags: , , ,,

Filed under: pets, connected,recalls — Gina Spadafori @ 8:10 pm

1. Now can we stop importing from China?

Comment by Peg — April 30, 2007 @ 8:20 pm

2. You know, every time I think I’m cynical, I realize I’m not. This actually shocked me. Not just the numbers, although the next time someone tells me we’re “overstating” or “exaggerating” the scope I’m going to scream.

It’s also this: Is it me, or are they holding Wheat Gluten, Rice Gluten, Rice Protein, Rice Protein Concentrate, Corn Gluten, Corn Gluten Meal, Corn By-Products, Soy Protein, Soy Gluten, Mung Bean Protein, Soy Bean Meal/Powder/Gluten/Protein Isolate, Soy Protein Powder, Wheat Gluten, Wheat Flour Gluten, Wheat Gluten, Rice Protein, Rice Gluten, Rice Protein, Corn Gluten, Milled Rice Products, Amino acids and protein hydrosylates?

Comment by Christie Keith — April 30, 2007 @ 8:20 pm

3. Oh thats bad. Stealth bomb of an alert is correct.
    I suppose they don’t want that to get legs and alarm the public. Phew man.

Comment by Steve — April 30, 2007 @ 8:23 pm

4. Comment by Christie Keith — April 30, 2007 @ 8:20 pm
    “Is it me, or are they holding….”
    ……………….
    from the FDA re: the above as listed by Christie:

PROBLEM: Poisonous or Deleterious Substance
    Unfit For Food
    Unsafe Food Additive
    ……………….
    Ay-yup.
    It certainly appears so.

Comment by Ally — April 30, 2007 @ 8:26 pm

5. Finally, the FDA gets really tough! They are going to keep it all out unless they can prove that it has been tested by FDA approved testers. Look at the percentage of melamine in the wheat gluten and the rpc that they tested. I know that there have been some tough words here for the FDA, but I am certain that this has been an incredibly tough investigation for all involved, including the politics of it all (and I don’t mean the PFI). Pretty amazing if you ask me. Now I just have to find out where my taurine was made because I am only buying made in the USA these days. Thanks Gina.

Comment by Shawn — April 30, 2007 @ 8:29 pm

6. With that severity, surely they can scare the rest of the pet food industry out into the open (I hope) that have used those imports and get the recalls off the table.

The PFI must have that in their information base by now? Once that has been issued and distributed, they won’t perhaps now what the FDA has actually tracked to their cupboards…

I hope I’m not being too naive.

But, maybe there’s nobody in the PFI that wants to be too far behind that alert in releasing information. They have to know pet owners are really over them and their PR/lobbyist pals and the FDA just blew away their pats on our heads.

Ann H.

Comment by Ann — April 30, 2007 @ 8:34 pm

7. As Joe Namath Said :”We Did It!”,…To Pet Connection and all Fellow Mourners of Pets,We can’t bring them back,But we can save our remaining pets.Keep writing.The FDA must now realize we are not the ones to lie.The #1 Global Company,With it’s new pet food production plant in Beijing ,China is the first company that should be investigated.Every Country they have a factory,a Production plant,a feed affiliate,a crop,under it’s operating expense/profit reports.Hint:They are in Switzerland.Their Ceo(formerly Ceo of Dupont),….Nestle S.A.!

Comment by joe Romano — April 30, 2007 @ 8:37 pm

8. Thank you petconnection. I have to go cry now.
    It is not enough, what the FDA did, but it is a start.

Comment by E. Hamilton — April 30, 2007 @ 8:41 pm

9. Great Job Pet Connection! Many thanks.

Comment by Robin — April 30, 2007 @ 8:48 pm

10. Holy Moly Batman!! Finally – Thank you so much petconnection, itchmo, everyone!!

Comment by Chelsea — April 30, 2007 @ 8:49 pm

11. Thanks to all of you for this huge contribution to the animals we all love!

Ann

and a quick note sent to the PFI to have an accounting of anybody left holding cards….

Comment by Ann — April 30, 2007 @ 8:53 pm

12. E. Hamilton- I will join you! This is really really big. It will effect more food manufacturing than we can possibly imagine. Pet food is a small part of it I expect. One or more of these sources are in almost every processed food that you can buy at the supermarket. I have gotten more than my share of looks from people when I told them to be careful, consult the recall list, don’t feed anything with these proteins and oh, by the way I am cooking for my cat. I read your stories and could so see myself in your shoes but by the grace of god. I want to thank you all for sharing and forcing me to listen, and thereby protect my baby, and anybody else’s baby that would listen to me!!! Great work Pet Connection and the media that got your name out at the beginning of this thing. Had it not been for that first media mention probably on Good Morning America I would not have found you!

Comment by Shawn — April 30, 2007 @ 8:55 pm

13. I would hold off on the celebrating. The question now is, how much of the human supply is already contaminated? And how long has it been?

Comment by Steve — April 30, 2007 @ 8:56 pm

14. Well, they did not hide the fact that they had “multiple, many thousand” complaints. Just didn’t dare to give a more exact number

Comment by dodo — April 30, 2007 @ 8:57 pm

15. Woot! Woot! :)

Finally, some action that is heading in a positive, constructive direction.

Thanks to you all a PC, Itchmo, Howl911 and so many other blogs that carried the flag on this. And of course, many thanks to the posters that researched so much.

Comment by Sharon — April 30, 2007 @ 8:58 pm

16. “We’ve had multiple, many thousand calls from consumers, and we are looking at that, but I’m not sure we will ever come up with a final number here. It’s just, I just don’t think we can ever get there.”

Well….apparently not only does the right hand not know what the left hand is doing , but the right hand doesn’t even know what the RIGHT hand is doing.
    Say no more,say no more.

Comment by Lorna — April 30, 2007 @ 9:00 pm

17. If the FDA only inspects 1% of imports, does an import alert such as this mean they will be checking and detaining every single container from China?

Comment by Sharon — April 30, 2007 @ 9:00 pm

18. I’m wondering how many postcards the FDA received from the blitz, and if this had anything to do with their change of heart on how many pets have died or are ill?
    Thanks, petconnection, I don’t know what I would do without all these great comments and up to date info!

Comment by Nabiya — April 30, 2007 @ 9:00 pm

19. Comment by Sharon — April 30, 2007 @ 9:00 pm

They may not have much choice.

Comment by Steve — April 30, 2007 @ 9:05 pm

20. Steve-Sad to say we have probably been eating this stuff for some time. Humans apparently can deal with melamine better than our pets (at least it doesn’t kill us in the short term). Our pets were at a crisis because so many of them eat just one thing. Most people have a more varied diet to soak up the melamine and hopefully excrete it. I don’t think they can possibly recall it all or much for that matter. We’ll see.

Comment by Shawn — April 30, 2007 @ 9:06 pm

21. Sharon, It’s my understanding that this alert will prevent US Customs from clearing the paperwork to allow the import of the products into the US. They will be detained at port and shipped back.

Comment by Nabiya — April 30, 2007 @ 9:06 pm

22. FDA widens Chinese import alert
    USA Today – 1 hour ago

Comment by Steve — April 30, 2007 @ 9:06 pm

23. My oh my shall wonders never cease. Thank you New York Times.

Comment by Linda — April 30, 2007 @ 9:07 pm

24. What happened? Did Barney die or something?

(I hate to be cynical at a time of celebration.) It surely is a relief to hear those numbers from the FDA.

Comment by Nadine Long — April 30, 2007 @ 9:07 pm

25. Comment by Steve — April 30, 2007 @ 8:56 pm

Look, I know it doesn’t solve the problem. We still have a long way to go on that.

But there’s a lot more reason – and a lot more pressure – to solve a big problem than a little one. So to me, this is a big deal…the biggest smile I’ve had in weeks, mixed with deep sadness for all the loss it took to get here.

I know it’s just the first step. But it matters to all the grieving families who’ve been invisible for weeks now. Thank you, FDA. Please keep it up. We will.

Comment by Laura — April 30, 2007 @ 9:11 pm

26. What I want to know is how many more pet foods and human foods in our homes and on store shelves are currently “under the radar” poisoned with all these mystery ingredients.

BTW, the FDA HAD to finally use these larger “reported” numbers whether they wanted to or not. A recall and customs inspection/halt of this unprecidented magnitude involving so many products for human consumption could never have been justified to the Chinese government with a mere 16 pet deaths.

Comment by elizabeth R. — April 30, 2007 @ 9:17 pm

27. Comment by Laura — April 30, 2007 @ 9:11 pm

It’s okay I don’t get offended easy. I want see criminal indictments.

Comment by Steve — April 30, 2007 @ 9:25 pm

28. Maybe they HAD to do it, and the stealth night release, well, if I been a total jerk to as many grieving pet parents as the FDA has for the last two months I would hang my head and slide out the door under cover of the dark too!

None the less, it is a start.
    They would not even KNOW about this if not for pet parents. They would not know, no one would have a clue.

And there is work to do yet.
    But for tonight, I want to sleep. Now, maybe I can.

Comment by E. Hamilton — April 30, 2007 @ 9:30 pm

29. Are there any stirrings about any dry foods recalls yet? I’m still reading about dogs getting sick.

Comment by Cathy — April 30, 2007 @ 9:31 pm

30. Good, because offense wasn’t the intent. :)

Seriously, after five (six?) weeks of the mushroom treatment, it’s just nice to have at least some part of the truth come out in official black and white. I’m just *so* sorry it took so much pain and suffering as it did to make it happen.

I sent a nasty message to Wysong tonight about their web page. It’s SO indicative of the industry’s attitude toward the recall – i.e., we’re all crackpots, and if they ignore us, we’ll go away.

Call me naive, but I believe things can change as long as determined pet guardians here around the country refuse to shut up and go away. Tonight’s announcement is just the first step toward the indictments you want. But it’s easier to win an indictment on thousands of deaths than 16 or 17. Let’s hope the feds have the stones to follow it up this time.

Comment by Laura — April 30, 2007 @ 9:34 pm

31. What a relief! This is a huge step in the right direction. A lot of people are going to be shocked by these developments.

Thank you PetConnection, Itchmo, and all devoted animal lovers.

Comment by Zanzie — April 30, 2007 @ 9:43 pm

32. Wash Post has NICE article that manages to encompass human and trade issues without disregarding our dead pets. Thanks, WaPo!

Comment by Laura — April 30, 2007 @ 9:44 pm

33. I’m sitting here with tears running down my face, in absolute shock. Finally, all the research and digging that all you have done has paid off. It’s a bitter sweet victory for all of us pet owners who have suffered with their friends. My Rupert lived, so many of your pets didn’t. I know it’s not over by a long shot, but now at least there is some meaning to it all. Thank you all of you.

Now let’s put those ba&*!@#ds in jail and throw away the key.

Comment by joyce — April 30, 2007 @ 9:47 pm

34. - This has PROVEN MY THEORY ~

– THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE!

– Don’t mess with our compadres!

——!!!!! THANK YOU !!!!!——

Comment by Kat — April 30, 2007 @ 9:50 pm

35. Are there any stirrings about any dry foods recalls yet? I’m still reading about dogs getting sick.

Cathy, I don’t understand… there have already been a number of dry foods recalled.

Comment by Christie Keith — April 30, 2007 @ 9:51 pm

36. I think she means more than have happened already Christie.

Hey everyone – why don’t you send out some e-mails to your local and city papers directing them to the Import Alert link. I just sent out at least 20. Got to get the word out, especially at the local level.

Comment by Sharon — April 30, 2007 @ 9:55 pm

37. Gina,
    We can’t express in words how much we appreciate your courage and fortitude in getting the truth out despite everything – mom says you saved our lives! Most gratefully yours, Lincoln, Disco and Nikki Hill

Comment by Patricia Hill — April 30, 2007 @ 9:57 pm

38. Great idea Sharon, I just emailed my local paper. Maybe they’ll stop burying the story…

Comment by Kim — April 30, 2007 @ 10:09 pm

39. Yeah!! Yeah!! Yeah!!

I sent that list of ingredients to Inslee before Apr. 19th as a ban. I sent the same list to Byrd, Durbin, and the others on the Senate Sub Committee around about Apr. 19th. Emailing direct DOES HELP!!

Expect your grocery store brands (Purina, Meow Mix, etc.) to go WAY UP!! And about time too. Now we can get a level playing field.

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.

My kitties were lucky (I think, because only the recall got them off the jumk food). The real telling tale will be the Super Premiums (if the price drastically increases – well, we will know the source of the foods, won’t we?).

Comment by Concerned Pet Owner — April 30, 2007 @ 10:12 pm

40. From the WashPost (above) excerpt:

catatonic! and, many are. They don’t want to hear it — or just can’t believe it!

Comment by Kat — April 30, 2007 @ 10:13 pm

41. Cathy,
    I’m still waiting – my dog got sick on dry food, no recall…yet.

Thank you to Pet Connection,Itchmo and all others. It’s a bittersweet day. So many lost. And, it’s unknown if any humans may have suffered too.
    Maybe now things will change.

Hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Katie

Comment by Katie — April 30, 2007 @ 10:22 pm

42. Someone need to email the FDA that Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd is now selling ESB supplement (an NPN) with instructions on how to mix for poutlry, hog and cattle feed, and how to mix with rice, wheat, corn and soy.

It is on the web for export. There are instructions safe to feed for pets. The same claims (150% protein with amonia reaction, 300% protein as marker) are being made as melamine.

They are trying to get around the earlier blocks on wheat/rice gluten being detained.

Comment by Concerned Pet Owner — April 30, 2007 @ 10:30 pm

43. I did a post today about what the Pet Food Industry SHOULD have done and should now do to try and earn back trust.

I doubt they will read it, but one thing I pointed out is that if they ACTUALLY listened to their end user customers, instead of Wall Street, they would have done better. It might be too late for some, but if the brands are smart they will make some demands of their manufacturers and WELCOME this FDA move.

a link to what the Pet Food Companies should do

Comment by spocko — April 30, 2007 @ 10:34 pm

44. Gina and Christie,

When you think of all the effort you have no doubt put into well-meaning issues over the years with chump change to show for it, you just have to step back and nearly faint tonight. The FDA “got religion” and you are responsible in a meaningful way. Posters have been cranky, haven’t understood how blogs work (myself included. You’ve no doubt been close to throwing up your hands at times and walking away from your efforts, with all the criticism.

But today’s FDA news is ASTONISHING. And it’s, in no small measure, YOUR FAULT! You’ve organized (as in “herding cats”) a passionate bunch of people who have made this happen. Now, keep it up for the next hard challenges…

Comment by Maureen — April 30, 2007 @ 10:40 pm

45. but spokcko, do we REALLY want to trust them again?

i’m absolutely appalled by how they handled this along with some of the other crap they were pulling. this country has some serious broken pieces.

Comment by straybaby — April 30, 2007 @ 10:42 pm

46. The FDA alert was posted to their site on 4/27/07. It just took a few days for someone to find it. Or am I reading it wrong?

Comment by Christi A. — April 30, 2007 @ 10:43 pm

47. they may have wrote it on the 27th and posted it today? they seem to be running a day or 2 behind in posting recalls. i kinda doubt their any faster with alerts . . . :p

Comment by straybaby — April 30, 2007 @ 10:45 pm

48. Comment by Concerned Pet Owner — April 30, 2007 @ 10:30 pm

ESB is the soy protein junk–Mao has a Chinese patent on it. I’ll call the FDA tomorrow, and I’m not kidding.

Comment by Nadine Long — April 30, 2007 @ 10:47 pm

49. Ahhhh. Good point straybaby.

Comment by Christi A. — April 30, 2007 @ 10:49 pm

50. Thanks Nadine, I found it last night – didn’t know what to do about it.

Comment by Concerned Pet Owner — April 30, 2007 @ 10:50 pm

51. HHHMMMM – they have removed the formulating instructions.

Comment by Concerned Pet Owner — April 30, 2007 @ 10:56 pm

52. I just emailed the NY Times reporter who has been following this begging him to stop quoting the 16 – 17 deaths and sending him a link to the import alert.

I think mass emails are in order – so please everyone, let’s keep telling them to change the number.

Comment by Kathy — April 30, 2007 @ 10:57 pm

53. Oh I forgot to say that his latest story is dated May 1 and still quoted the 16 – 17 number.

Comment by Kathy — April 30, 2007 @ 10:58 pm

54. AAAHHHH – found it (does this work?)

Detailed Selling Lead Description

ESB Protein Powder
    The latest product ESB Protein Powder which is researched and developed by Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co., Ltd. contains protein 160% -300% , which solves the problem for shortage of protein resource. Reasonably
    Making use of NPN and reducing the production cost of feed factor, ESB Protein Powder is a good additive to supplement the shortage of protein resources in animal feed applications.
    After eating this, protein powder will be transformed into mycoprotein in the alimentary canal under the action of digestive enzyme; it will be normally digested, absorbed and used by the livestock and poultry. It is safe nonpoisonous, without bad reaction.
    Use Methods:
    1. For poultry feed: adding 2. 0% is capable of increasing protein by 3. 2% -6. 0% .
    2. For cattle / sheep / pig / fish / shrimp feed: adding 3. 0% is capable of increasing protein by 4. 8% -9. 0% .
    3. For raw materials such as Fish Meal, Meat and Bone Meal, Bean Meal, Rice Protein Meal and other protein feed ingredients: adding 1kg of ESB Protein Powder per hundred kilos can improve protein by 1. 6% -3. 0% .
    Quality Standard: The product is yellow, dust-colour or white powder form and free flowing. This product also resists iodin, and is able to bear high temperature, the reaction of ammania nitrogen Contain 160% protein, 70% water-soluble and 8% moisture. Contain 300% protein, 80% water-soluble and 8% moisture. Keeping in dry and ventilate condition, agglomeration will not influence quality.
    Guaranteed shelf life: 1 year

Comment by Concerned Pet Owner — April 30, 2007 @ 11:01 pm

55. Concerned Pet Owner, did you think to make a webarchive of the Chinese site, or save the URL for a wayback search?

On a broader note, I’m not buying any food that shows China as country of origin any more.

Comment by Sharoney — April 30, 2007 @ 11:05 pm

56. Concerned Pet Owner,

i have it archived and screen captured. and i’m sure others do also ;)

Comment by straybaby — April 30, 2007 @ 11:10 pm

57. test

Comment by Concerned Pet Owner — April 30, 2007 @ 11:10 pm

58. I had found it.

Comment by Concerned Pet Owner — April 30, 2007 @ 11:11 pm

59. I just posted this story on Digg.com to try and get the attention of the mainstream bloggers and let everyone know that this is not “just” the “dramatics” of pet owners. Wake up world:(

Comment by Chelsea — April 30, 2007 @ 11:17 pm

60. I posted on dKos, also. It’s the top recommended diary tonight.

Comment by Christie Keith — April 30, 2007 @ 11:19 pm

61. Yes, I saw that the other day & posted it here over the weekend. It’s pretty incriminately!!

I just sent to Durbin.

Comment by Kat — April 30, 2007 @ 11:25 pm

62. Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd

Leave me a message

Sell Esb Protein Powder
    Post Date: Apr 18, 2007
    Expiry date: May 18, 2007
    See Product Details

Esb_Protein_Powder

Detailed Selling Lead Description

ESB Protein Powder
    Use Methods:
    Guaranteed shelf life: 1 year.

Contact Us
    Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd [China (Mainland)]

Comment by Kat — April 30, 2007 @ 11:29 pm

63. for posterity….

Comment by Kat — April 30, 2007 @ 11:30 pm

64. Just a sweet little keepsake!

Comment by Kat — April 30, 2007 @ 11:30 pm

65. LOL – I was having trouble posting. You guys are great.

Comment by Concerned Pet Owner — April 30, 2007 @ 11:41 pm

66. Finally…

thank God!

Thanks Pet Connection for being there for us.

Comment by Marcy — April 30, 2007 @ 11:54 pm

67. So who’s lying and who’s telling the truth????
    FDA Import Alert:
    Go to # 2., fourth paragraph. The Chinese government said the suppliers should have AQSIQ certification. Xuzhou Anying claims it was not a food product.
    ChemNutra:
    Steve Miller claimed he had certification.
    *** At one point I remember Miller claiming the product was FOOD grade.
    So which is it?
    Or are they both lying? By that I mean both being conspiritorial.
    And how does that story jive with Wilbur-Ellis and ANI, and Natural Balance with Diamond.
    Don’t know about you, but at this point I don’t believe anyone yet. ’cause I think they are all guilty – at the minimum for not acting soon enough.
    Guess we’ll have to put them in a big bag, shake it a few more times and see who comes tumbling out. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 12:06 am

68. P.S. – Notice how ChemNutra’s products keep changing??!!! 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 12:09 am

69. did they change their site AGAIN?!

i think i have 3 or 4 versions already . . . lol!~

Comment by straybaby — May 1, 2007 @ 12:12 am

70. Sorry, but I’m not relieved one bit by this.

Screw the FDA — we know our pets better than they do, so if we say 5000 died, then 5000 died, no matter what the FDA says.

I am not letting my guard down, not for one second.

Comment by leek — May 1, 2007 @ 12:24 am

71. Comment by Marcy — April 30, 2007 @ 11:54 pm

Marcy, I went to your site today. Great map. It made me sob. I’m going to post Calvin’s picture as soon as I can.

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 12:24 am

72. Hmmm its in the human food supply
    38 Indiana chicken farms fed chickens tainted feed

Comment by Ron — May 1, 2007 @ 12:25 am

73. Comment by Kat — April 30, 2007 @ 11:29 pm

Mao has a Chinese patent for this Esb crap. Would like to get a copy of it!

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 12:26 am

74. straybaby
    Have you seen this one? Steve posted it on another thread today, that’s one other reason why I checked ChemNutra again besides the FDA Alert.
    Yuppers – different stuff again.
    Busy little bugger isn’t he??? 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 12:30 am

75. Nadine
    Do you happen to know what timeframe Mao worked for USDA? His age? How long he was here? Any schools or special grants he may have received? Was he ever a citizen or just here with visa? Any relationship with Ms Q.
    Like in uncle or something? (just curious about the last question – I wonder if she is related to anyone from Anying) It’s that 6 degrees of separation thing! 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 12:36 am

76. The Buck Stops Here – Senator Patty Murray of WA State!

Our pets were poisoned thanks to unrestricted trade with China and now our human food supply is tainted, too. Who is the biggest promoter of free trade in our government? Senator Patty Murray of Washington state. Check it out on her own website. All that seems to matter to her is the huge amount of money free trade with China brings to the elite of Washington State. (Don’t blame most of us WA state residents: the money does not trickle down!) And don’t blame the average Chinese citizen, either. They are being poisoned, too, and their honest exporters’ websites had warnings about cheap, contaminated grain proteins as far back as 2005. The ethical Chinese business people are also being hurt by the criminals that have taken over our foreign trade system.

Here is a link to Senator Murray’s web page about her position on free trade:
    [b]http://murray.senate.gov/trade/trade-work.cfm[/b]
    And here is her e-mail page so you can tell her how trade with China is currently impacting you:
    [b]http://murray.senate.gov/email/index.cfm[/b]
    Please let Senator Patty Murray know that we demand fair and safe trade!

Comment by Grace — May 1, 2007 @ 12:38 am

77. That ESB is the one made with a fungus. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 12:39 am

78. Kathi,
    I wondered about Ms Q. If she even exists. I have some info on Mao. And on buddy he worked with on a patent who is now at U of Washington. Just a minute…

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 12:39 am

79. I think that stuff is what was used to make those rubbery little squares of questionable “meat” in the cuts and gravy – sort of like Quorn. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 12:41 am

80. Let me try again on Senator Murray’s website addresses:
    Here is a link to Senator Murray’s web page about her position on free trade:
    Please let Senator Patty Murray know that we demand fair and safe trade!

Comment by Grace — May 1, 2007 @ 12:45 am

81. Worked on patent with Mao:

XIAOMING YANG, MD, PhD
    __________________________

Yang received an appointment at the State of Washington University in the School of Medicine at the Dept. of Radiology in July 06. [See Page 13}

Had been at Johns Hopkins.

Curriculum Vita (9-24-04):

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 12:45 am

82. i have that one from the other day. i’ll compare them tomorrow.

i have his site going back to 2004/5 and all the recent changes. haven’t used supplements since the first time i saw their site . . . lol!~

Comment by straybaby — May 1, 2007 @ 12:49 am

83. Nadine,

they used to have her pic on their site, but it could have been a stock image ;)

Comment by straybaby — May 1, 2007 @ 12:51 am

84. straybaby – you’re probably correct!

Kathi – here’s the one Yang patent abstract that sounds like the process – the encapsulation being the melamine – and probably the one Mao uses since these guys are linked.

US Patent References
    5803946
    Controlled release plant nutrients
    Issued on: September 8, 1998
    Inventor: Petcavich, et al. 5851261
    Process for the production of polyurea encapsulated fertilizer particles and the encapsulated fertilizer particles produced by this process
    Issued on: December 22, 1998
    Inventor: Markusch, et al. 5925595
    Microcapsules with readily adjustable release rates
    Issued on: July 20, 1999
    Inventor: Seitz, et al.

Foreign Patent References
    2100017 GB Dec., 1982
    62-125852 JP Aug., 1987

Abstract

This invention provides a ruminant feedstock with a content of non-protein nitrogen supplement which yields a safe controlled-release generation of ammonia under rumen incubation conditions. In another embodiment, this invention provides a ruminant feedstock supplement for controlled-release of non-protein nitrogen which comprises urea particles encapsulated with a rumen-degradable polymeric coating.

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 12:55 am

85. OK, let’s just suppose for the sake of argument, Steve Miller is telling the truth (boy, was that hard to type – lol).
    Why would he just take the word of Anying with a certificate and not really have it checked out. I mean come on, he’s an educated guy and a lawyer. So wouldn’t a personal connection maybe cause him to just trust without question. Say like in wife’s relative, some family member or family friend where it would be considered rude to question? If he weren’t connected in that way, it would seem he would question and inspect as in a regular business transaction.
    As per Henderson, I have some serious issues with him. Makes me wonder about some connection there too, but not as in kinfolk either. His judgement defies common sense. Why would he accept Miller’s word without checking the product. Moreso since the melamine could be seen with the naked eye.
    As per Wilbus-Ellis, I wonder who he has connections with – Miller, maybe – don’t know yet.
    I’ve never been a believer in coincidence but I do believe in connections.
    At this point no one’s story is adding up.
    When each one turns the blame on the other, I start getting really suspicious. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 12:57 am

86. I have several oriental friends, and they always go shopping at the Asian markets. Thought it would be interesting to go along, and read labels. I think most of them are in the dark as to what is going on with the pet food and other foods now. I did notice they had no pet foods in the store, but had sodas, and all of the other items that we see in our typical stores. The store is huge, and I spent over 2 hrs. reading labels. Quite a few items from the co. that made the pet food proteins. Noodles, sauces, canned foods, etc. Almost everything they had in the store has a gluten of some type. With the FDA stopping some of the items coming in, these people are in a world they don’t understand. Most of them do not talk english either, so I wonder how this will impact them and their life. I am so glad something is being done about all of this now. I also am being extra cautious about any vitamin supplements I purchase now. Thankfully I never did use any protein power drinks. I will contact our local paper with the latest news on the FDA, the number of pets that have died, and any other pertinent items.

Comment by darlene — May 1, 2007 @ 12:58 am

87. Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 12:39 am

Kathi, Esb is ‘essential soy bean’ -

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 12:59 am

88. Mao’s patent is here.

Comment by Margaret Bridge — May 1, 2007 @ 1:01 am

89. I made up a list of all the uses for the glutens and proteins. I haven’t been able to eat for days. I chucked everything in the cupboard. I’ll post the list tomorrow.
    Miller said a contradicting thing in the hearing, but I’ll have to go back to the testimony to find it. There’s other stuff we uncovered in March that I have to find regarding ChemNutra that might lead to something.

I’m moving in four days and I’ve packed exactly one box. Got to get some sleep now. Be back tomorrow.

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 1:05 am

90. The patent was assigned to Agway which has been bought by another company and it divided that company, so the grain portion is still operating but I don’t know what happened to the patent. (that Yang and Mao worked on together).

Kathi, the Dept. of Ag in Illinois might have someone that remembers. Dick Durbin can get that info! Or his aide.

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 1:13 am

91. Thanks Margaret.

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 1:20 am

92. These are or are not for ESB? 8)
    I assume he has a patent of his own for ESB? Y-N?

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 1:20 am

93. Have you noticed that the high quality reporters who have finally come to the party and are doing such great work on the many aspects of this story don’t even bother anymore to get “quotes” from the Pet Food companies or PFI? To me this means that their PR efforts have been considerably marginalized and they are no longer considered credible or trustworthy enough to be part of the reportage. That is a wonderful development and a big step forward, in my opinion.

The pet food and import/export lobby is still highly dangerous though. You can bet they are waving money and perks around Washington DC like there is no tomorrow. That is why constant contact by phone or email with our legislators of both parties is so essential for us all at this time. We must tell our lawmakers what we expect and hold their feet to the fire to fix this problem- this year-like now. And, with the universal nature of pet’s, and human food safety in the spotlight I think we stand a really good chance of making it happen.

Most Americans, I believe, want to see congress do something positive for a change that isn’t completely driven by partisan politics and “pork”. Let’s see if our elected officials are up to the task.

Comment by elizabeth R. — May 1, 2007 @ 1:25 am

94. Nadine, I also saw a reference early on I think through either ChemNutra or at Alibaba that ESB protein powder was a mycoprotein – which is a fungus – similar to the veggie meat called Quorn. I don’t know if those reference pages exist anymore, but I have the words right here in my notebook. Wish now I would have written the url and whose page I saw it on. It was one of the first things I looked at back when we first asked what is ESB.

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 1:31 am

95. Oh yeah, in my notes, it is described as having the appearrance of bread dough.

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 1:33 am

96. This particular fungus is a bacteria that is born in soil.
    The processed cellular mass – filamentous fungus – Fusarium Venenatum – strain PTA-2684. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 1:37 am

97. My thoughts at the time were that this was used to create those cute little squares of meat that my furkids would not touch. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 1:39 am

98. Nadine
    right now I’m hand-copying your notes and info to my notebook so I can compare our combined info.
    Something tells me no sleep tonight – I get that way when somethings on my mind. I wanted to ask these questions a while back but too much chatter on here to keep it going without searching back through so many posts. 8)
    Thanks, any thing you have on characters like dates, places, co-workers, etc helps.

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 1:45 am

99. Kathi, Nadine, Bernie, et al, I have kept my nose out of the protein/Alibaba/Mao/ChemNutra discissions because frankly chemistry is so far afield from my area of “expertise” that I would embarrass myself. But I have been fascinated by your comments and links and have learned a lot about those mysterious ingredients that are apparently in all our food. I wanted to suggest (if you have not already done so) that you contact the School of Agriculture at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana. They have an international focus and specialize in both the production and economic aspects of farming as well as research. They also have a very well known veterninary school that emphasizes livestock health as well as that of companion animals.

Comment by elizabeth R. — May 1, 2007 @ 1:46 am

100. There was a Ronald Wempen, M.D. who posted here a few weeks ago and he was interested in a fungus that he said or at least alluded to finding. Haven’t seen him post since. Have no idea what he was after. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 1:51 am

101. Thanks Elizabeth, I’ll make note of that. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 1:53 am

102. I wonder if Wempen was poking around at those meaty little morsels and found out they’re not made of meat but that fungus. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 1:55 am

103. Thanks Nadine – 8) 8) 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 1:58 am

104. elizabeth r.
    This is a really good time to demand we stop food trade with China until they get the kinks out of their system.
    Well, let’s see, according to statistics, that would be about forty years post-communism. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 2:26 am

105. Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 1:45 am

So much for sleeping. I kept thinking about the 200,000 Chinese that died.

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 3:01 am

106. Comment by elizabeth R. — May 1, 2007 @ 1:46 am

Excellent. Thank you.

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 3:03 am

107. The formulation for ESB includes extrusion from Urea (causing melamine and the Cyanic Acid to form). I did excel at Biochemistry (many years back – but I can read something quick). That was in the patent.

If someone buys that product, and its not on the quaratine list, then they have bypassed the detention mechanisms in place (which ZingZing – hee – is apparently quite capable of doing).

Another note is all the other products they sell, including the Zinc (wonder if that’s in the food too?)

Comment by Concerned Pet Owner — May 1, 2007 @ 3:08 am

108. Very good Spocko. Excellent. Think any of them are listening and reading. Guess we will have to wait to see if any have fortitude to step up ahead of the mass.

Comment by VJ — May 1, 2007 @ 3:22 am

109. Thank you Gina, Christie and all the devoted people here, at itchmo, etc. The word is finally getting out there. I can’t wait to hear the news this a.m. – but still fear the a.m. news will downplay the story.

Comment by Jenny — May 1, 2007 @ 3:25 am

110. I think without your blog and others like it the scope of this tragedy would have never been known, and our food and the food of our pets would still be at risk. You have provided a public service and I thank you for it.

Comment by Alasandra — May 1, 2007 @ 3:31 am

111. Comment by Concerned Pet Owner — May 1, 2007 @ 3:08 am

Since late March or early April we’ve been pretty sure of that patent being used. With the melamine being scrap, there could have been zinc in there easily. Also, I was thinking even about mushroom poisoning (toadstools). Kidney failure would also be a result.

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 3:31 am

112. Kathi,

Haven’t heard much about this.

ChemNutra’s China office – Jing Sui Bldg. 601, Hangzhou, Zhejiang. The contact person for the China office is listed as Mr. Zhu Hao.

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 3:44 am

113. All you folks have done a terrific job in getting a “change” to take place (FDA mandate). Now focus needs to be placed at the stockholder level. In order to make changes occur in these companies, it’s the stockholders who have the say when the profits are affected. Positive thoughts and actions get positive results.

Comment by VJ — May 1, 2007 @ 4:00 am

114. Kathi,

Also phialides which is lethal.

********************************

Phialophora and Phialophora-Like Fungi Occurring in the Root Region of Wheat

K Sivasithamparam

Abstract

Fungi belonging to the genera Phialophora and Rhinocladiella have been encountered in the root region of wheat in Western Australia. P. verrucosa, P. cyclaminis, P. fastigiata, P. malorum, P. hoffmannii, P, mutabilis, P. lignicola, the Phialophora state of Gaeumannomyces graminis, and some i solates which could not be matched with any described species of the genus Phialophora are described. P. malorum, P. fastigiata and P. hoffmannii (strain WUFG 1.481) each reduced the pathogenicity of Gaeumannomyces graminis var. tritici to wheat seedlings growing in unsterilized sand, when inoculated along with it.

Rhinocladiella mansonii is very common in Western Australian wheat-field soils, but the strains are highly variable. Strains of the fungus R , pedrosoi, which is usually associated with chromo-blastomycosis in man, have also been isolated. It is possible that both these species of Rhinocladiella, even though they are known to have strains pathogenic to man and animals, are not pathogenic but live only as soil saprophytes.

Australian Journal of Botany 23(1) 193 – 212

Full text doi:10.1071/BT9750193

© CSIRO 1975

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 4:00 am

115. Nadine
    Thought you went to bed**** 8)
    How did you come up with essential soy bean?
    Did you see it on one of the sites, because the ESB protein powder I saw said it was mycoprotein in the description. Maybe we’re talking about two items?

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 4:00 am

116. ChemNutra listed both Zinc Oxide and Zinc Sulfate. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 4:07 am

117. Have you seen the photograph of the crystal?
    Stereoscopic light microscope view of a melamine crystal removed from contaminated wheat gluten:
    I was waiting for a real look-see. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 4:11 am

118. Kathi,

I had posted ESB way back and I don’t think I copied to my computer. I know what you mean and I agree with the concept. I had posted it because Bernie first said that it might need one more substance to make it lethal. I proposed that they were using the ESB all along. It’s made from soy which is more readily available and cheaper I believe. For all we know, it could be mung beans. I think the process is a one size fits all. The ESB was used in protein drinks…health food junk, like ChemNutra is pushing on that website today.

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 4:13 am

119. Link didn’t work

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 4:17 am

120. More tomorrow.

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 4:19 am

121. Nadine
    Fusarium Venenaum is actually a mold – it can be gastrotoxic, causing severe vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea.
    here is the page I was looking for, it was in my other file:
    seems to have some similar side effects and may have been mixed with those toxins in the melamine scraps, like some glues and such. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 4:27 am

122. Sorry – that’s Fusarium Venenatum 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 4:28 am

123. This is what made me think of the meaty morsels in the cuts and gravy style pouches and cans. Then add these other items we’ve been discussing, not to mention the aminoptrin. I think that’s what Wempen was checking on. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 4:32 am

124. “Hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.”

And that it’s not an oncoming train!!

Comment by Lorna — May 1, 2007 @ 4:37 am

125. I just fired off an email to Wysong about how offensive I found their web page. I’m pasting the body of email below:

I read your “Wysong and Menu Pet Food Recall” page with dismay and disgust. You don’t seem to give the buying public credit much credit for critical thought, and I wanted to explain to you the fact that although I am continuing to purchase food from a company that does business with Menu Foods, that company is not and will not be Wysong.

You seem to be missing the point when you say “the issue is not so much where the product is made, but whether those who dictate to the private label manufacturer the formulation and processing have true competence and principle.” The issue is not what ingredients you dictate to the manufacturer. The issue is that you take responsibility for the quality of your end product, whether you make it in house or outsource it. Your seeming abdication of responsibility for the quality of the product sitting on the shelf is appalling, and I will not support that attitude.

Your statement “Before being too critical of the ethics of others, pet owners must understand that when pets are confined to a home, yard, or leash and then fed what the owner selects, that is like a caged animal experiment” is offensive. I, as a pet owner, attempt to give my pets the best quality of life possible. Characterizing their life as a caged animal experiment is demeaning, and it implies that your company sees pets as commodities rather than members of the family.

“That is like saying any company or person that ever makes a mistake, or is the victim of sabotage, should be boycotted.” Honest mistakes can be forgiven. However, Menu Foods appears to have tried to hide the truth of the extent of the adulteration of its products from the public. An honest recall of suspect products would have been one thing. However, delaying recalls, recalling additional products week after week, and seemingly not being able to do the simple clerical work of knowing when ingredients were shipped from plant to plant are not confidence-inspiring. Your defending them erodes the consumer’s confidence in your product.

“The world is not perfect or conveniently defined by good and evil. It is best negotiated with reason, looking at all the evidence, using foresight, and being open minded. That is how the Menu situation needs to be addressed.” I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. When looking with an open mind at this page of your web site, I see a brand frightened that they will be painted with the same brush as their manufacturer, who has made bad decisions in the public eye. Sadly, what would inspire confidence in me as a consumer is not a tirade against consumers who are concerned about the safety of foods manufactured at certain plants. Rather, I would prefer to see a proactive discussion of what Wising will do to ensure the quality and safety of its own products. For instance, if Wysong stated that you would do independent testing to ensure that the product being canned in their name contains what is indicated on the label, I would have found that considerably more encouraging than your taking the time to be condescending to me and the many dollars I spend on pet foods.

Ultimately, my buying decisions are based both on the perceived quality the pet foods and the perceived integrity of the brand. A brand who talks down to me as if I were an errant third-grader loses a lot of its perceived integrity in my eyes. Please remember this in the future when communicating with the buying public.

Comment by CatLady — May 1, 2007 @ 4:45 am

126. At last. All thanks to you, petconnection, itchmo, howl911, determined bloggers, mourning pet families. But unless the pressure stays on the darkside will be back and it will be business as usual. It’s up to all of us to make those deaths count.

Comment by Nancy Nielsen — May 1, 2007 @ 4:47 am

127. Catlady
    Whack ‘em again. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 4:52 am

128. Wysong and the others do seem to have a rather peculiar attitude towards pet parents. Maybe they developed it because we never really challenged them in the past. They certainly seem defensive.
    Well, one thing is for sure – they don’t equate hiding the truth as being the same as lying. It’s like going into an orchard and picking up all the apples on the ground and claiming that’s not stealing because they’re no longer attached to the tree. 8)
    I don’t think they get that concept.

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 5:08 am

129. This statement from the FDA tells a story. I have learned to read between the lines during all this.

“750 samples of wheat gluten and products made with wheat gluten and, of those tested thus far, 330 were positive for melamine and/or melamine related compounds. FDA had also collected approximately 85 samples of rice protein concentrate and products made with rice protein concentrate and, of those tested thus far, 27 were positive for melamine and/or melamine related compounds.”

They don’t say what products were tested and I am guessing they were not all pet food related. These were FOOD GRADE ingredients. There is no reason to think it stops at pet food.

I don’t know about any of you, but I won’t be running out to buy anything with any of these banned ingredients in them any time soon. I also am predicting that there are going to be some great sales on pork, pork products, poultry, and poultry products.

Now might be a great time for some to start USA based businesses and family farms that only use USA products. I am guessing these companies would flourish as I am also not buying anything imported. I also will not buy anything from corporations who have or have moved their businesses out of the USA.

In fact just the other day I was looking for a pair of gardening gloves and all were “made in China”. Did I buy them? Nope, guess my hands are going to be dirty this spring. LOL

Comment by Sandy — May 1, 2007 @ 5:27 am

130. I just emailed every news channel and newspaper in the Denver area. I clicked on their “contact me” areas and submitted a news tip. In this I included a link to the FDA’s own document and suggested that they were behind the curve. I hope everyone does this in their area. Apparently the media needs to be spoonfed stories, as they rarely come up with anything on their own. They don’t seem to want to print or report on stories that other channels/papers haven’t already reported on. Even after the NYT had a front page story yesterday, it is still lacking in our area!

Comment by Boutique Owner — May 1, 2007 @ 5:27 am

131. Catlady,
    I once thought of buying wysongs product,
    no longer ..
    i am disguested with any/many manufactures of
    pet products.
    i thank you , all those who’v contributed
    to the numerous web sites , and have opened the eyes of many americans to such blantant direspect towards the citizens of my country/and the free world, many read this
    blog.
    with respect, and my support,
    arthur c. wolff (usmc,vietnam veteran, tet offensive, 1969)

Comment by johnypaycut — May 1, 2007 @ 5:30 am

132. Think about it people:
    Amino acids and protein hydrosylates

That just about covers it all

Comment by CAthyA — May 1, 2007 @ 5:35 am

133. I have an idea! I sent the TRUE number of pet deaths and the link to CNN. I told them that those of us who have been affected by the pet food recall were going to flood the news market with this info. I asked them, “Do you want to be the first to break the story or do you want to be scooped?:) If we all flood the media with this info, someone will pick it up and then the rest will have to do so too. I’m going to send it to all of the major news markets plus local ones. I’m on my way to ABC, NBC, CBS and anyone else who might cover this story.

Comment by Ann Jackson — May 1, 2007 @ 5:40 am

134. Where is all this leading > food recalls
    corporate corruption , greed , international
    poisoning’s ?
    i’ve been writting , and calling my congressman.
    i’ve written other members of congress, i have long been suspicious of chinas trading policys
    and have warned the goverment of dangers to
    the U.S.
    the time to speakout is here, don’t let it pass? you may lose the oportunity to change
    dirrection , if so it may be to late to stop
    a threat to all americans.
    write/call your representives . let ‘em know
    how you feel.
    lets take command of the future..

Comment by johnypaycut — May 1, 2007 @ 5:40 am

135. Just logged in to the news – Great job !!!!
    Yahoo!!!!
    Great day, and we’re just getting started!
    Thank you Pet Connection!!!

Comment by Shelly — May 1, 2007 @ 5:53 am

136. This just came into my mailbox:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    May 1, 2007
    P07-75
    Media Inquiries: 301-827-6242
    Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

FDA Commissioner Announces New Food Protection Position

Commissioner of Food and Drugs Dr. Andrew C. von Eschenbach today announced the creation of the position of Assistant Commissioner for Food Protection to provide advice and counsel to the Commissioner on strategic and substantive food safety and food defense matters.

David Acheson, M.D., F.R.C.P. will be assigned to this new senior leadership role.
    Currently, Dr. Acheson serves as chief medical officer and director of the Office of Food Defense, Communication and Emergency Response at the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN).

In his new role, Dr. Acheson will work with individual FDA product centers, as well as the Office of Regulatory Affairs to coordinate FDA’s food safety and defense assignments and commitments.

In addition, Dr. Acheson will serve as the commissioner’s direct liaison to the Department of Health and Human Services, of which FDA is a part, and to other U.S. departments and agencies on food safety and food defense related inter-agency initiatives.

“The protection of America’s food supply and therefore the safety of Americans eating food of domestic or international origin is of utmost importance to me as a physician, and to the mission of this agency,” Dr. von Eschenbach said. “We’ve seen a rapid transformation of the food safety system due to advances in production technology, rapid methods of distribution, and the globalization of food sources. Dr. Acheson’s wealth of experience, and knowledge of the science behind food protection, will help the agency keep pace with this transformation in order to ensure that the safety and nutritional value of our food supply is second to none.”

One of Dr. Acheson’s first projects will be the development of an agency-wide, visionary strategy for food safety and defense. The strategy will identify and characterize changes in the global food safety and defense system, and identify current and future challenges and opportunities. It will also name potential barriers, gaps, and most critical needs in a food safety and defense system. The strategy will serve as the framework in helping the agency prioritize and address food safety and defense challenges.

As a CFSAN office director, Dr. Acheson currently has had the lead for emergency response, as well as outreach and communications to industry, state and consumers on issues pertaining to the center. He manages a staff of epidemiologists, biostatisticians and others in providing risk assessments, aid in epidemiological investigations of foodborne outbreaks, and other important center-wide functions.

Before joining the agency, Dr. Acheson held several research and academic positions. He has served as an associate professor at the University of Maryland Medical School in Baltimore, where he focused on research of foodborne pathogens and, prior to that, as an associate professor at Tufts University in Boston, where he undertook basic molecular pathogenesis research on foodborne pathogens.

�
    Dr. Acheson is a graduate of the University of London Medical School in the United Kingdom, with training in internal medicine and infectious diseases. He has published extensively and is internationally recognized both for his public health expertise in food safety and his research in infectious diseases.� Additionally, Dr. Acheson is a fellow of both the Royal College of Physicians (London) and the Infectious Disease Society of America.

Dr. Acheson will begin this new assignment immediately. He will report to Dr. Murray Lumpkin, Deputy Commissioner for International and Special Programs.

####

Comment by Laura — May 1, 2007 @ 6:02 am

137. I am rather sad that we need to appoint someone in government for advice on “food defense matters”. What is the world coming to? I’m starting to feel a little hopeless. : (
    This whole thing has been such a rude awakening.

Comment by slt — May 1, 2007 @ 6:06 am

138. I just e-mailed my local station that has done very little on the recall and told them to please report the real numbers of pets killed and sickened by this recall. I told them it is an insult to all those who have been affected when they report 16 pets have been killed. I included the link to the FDA’s alert. I hope they get their act together because in my area if you listen to the media the recall sounds like no big deal. The only reason I know what is going is because of the internet and mostly Pet Connection.

Comment by Brandi — May 1, 2007 @ 6:19 am

139. I must admit I’m a bit stunned not to have this all over the news this morning. I guess now we know (no matter how much we didn’t want to) the true state of the media.

Comment by Kim — May 1, 2007 @ 6:28 am

140. I agree Lets FLood THe News Media With over 5,000 Pets reported and That does not Include the Ones that are sick and have been sick for a Year PLUS ecause of all of this. I knew last year something was not right but noone would listen to me and said that my dogs must be stressed or getting into something around the house.
    I will FLOOD VERMONT WITH emails and NEWS alerts and to top it all off WHO IS going to HELP me with these BILLS. Isay send MR bush Letters by email Fax Phone carrier anythign we can think of.

Comment by Mary L — May 1, 2007 @ 6:51 am

141. Here is the Detroit TV news so many were waiting for last night at 11 pm EST.
    Click more, then read down page and click to view video.
    Pretty good for a local station,
    see the CFO’s mansion and inside a pet food manufacturing plant. 8)

Comment by Kathi — May 1, 2007 @ 6:53 am

142. You know what really Hurts deep down inside is that it seems like Most people do not even Know the effects this has done to our Pets, to us and to our communities.

Why can we not Claim our Pets on our taxes?
    We pay doctor bills for them, Have to pay the state to tag them, get their shots updates, license them to fly, They eat food just like we do. I guess in the Governments Eyes they are Just Animals.

Comment by Mary — May 1, 2007 @ 6:55 am

143. I just want to say that even these numbers are probably low. I know three other people that have lost pets, 2 dogs and a cat, to this and haven’t reported it either here or to the FDA. I lost one cat, reported here and to the FDA, and I have one that lost a significant amount of kidney function. It’s just sad that the truth is, we will never truly know how many.

Comment by Bonnie b — May 1, 2007 @ 6:57 am

144. Rainbow Bridge is cheering. If you listen closely, you can hear them all. Cheers from Heaven.

Comment by Nadine Long — April 30, 2007 @ 9:07 pm

Nadine, I know I could our girl this morning. One thing I want to mention is that while FDA has done some action finally, I still dont think we are at the bottom of all the toxins in the food. I think there are more and or of different combinations than what FDA has said so far. Maybe Im too suspicious but I think with all the symptoms I have read about in pets we need to focus on that also as there was more than just kidney failure going on. I have read about some pretty strange neurological things happening in pets weeks to days before they died and I dont know that if the melamine or cyanuric acid is the cause of that….

AND I have to say one thing to get it off my chest. If there are any hold-out pet food companies that either havent tested their food or dont want to come forward for fear of profit loss, please just do the right thing. Lets get your food tested, lets say who you are using as your China manufacturer and once and for all get it out in the open. You are only hurting yourselves in the long run. And WYSONG, I, as a pet mommy who lost her girl, dont have the words to even describe how cold and uncaring you are. You dont have the right to be in consumer business as far as Im concerned. OK thanks for letting me vent. I will be writing Wysong but I will have to cool off before I do so. Dont want to be calling those name that Christie and Gina keep mentioning in their blog headers….I dont even know what sk–k means?? (-:

Comment by Sandi K — May 1, 2007 @ 6:57 am

145. I was talking to one guy and he said thy are Just Dogs, Cats , Animals whats the big deal.

He ticked me off!
    What if we said our children are just kids whats the big deal.

Animals do wonders for people, and without them what would we do? I know I would never be the same without mine just like my son he has done wonders for me and I would not be the same without him.

Comment by Mary — May 1, 2007 @ 6:58 am

146. “Now for the products to reach U.S. foodmakers, the importers will have to prove to the FDA that they are safe.”

This bothers me, seems it’s a point where corruptions, alterations, and buying off may come into play. ie: political manipulations or under the table cash.

Comment by Gary — May 1, 2007 @ 7:00 am

147. I still would like to see proff from Canide that they have tested their food and where exactly in the US is the food coming from.

They have been ignoring my emails and phone calls.
    just because their food is made in the USA does not Mean anything as we all can see by the recalls.

Comment by Mary — May 1, 2007 @ 7:01 am

148. Sneaky release just before the Immigration marches and now the news media is focused on illegals -the FDA is up to their some old tricks. That’s why the numbers were changed in the news article on Sunday – wait until the FDA could officially release their revised statement. This has a funny ring to it, doesn’t it? Like Big Brother or something equally strange.

Comment by Linda — May 1, 2007 @ 7:02 am

149. Just sent Nutraceutical an e-mail to inquire if any aspect/portion of their products were grown, manufactured, etc. outside the USA. We’ve just purchased Kal bone meal and someone on this website or Itchmo asked if I had inquired whether it was made in China…I had not, so now I’ve inquired, hopefully inquired properly .. Home-cooking for two(2) baby Schnauzers ..I’ll await word first + a week or so before giving them the bone meal supplement…We need a checklist.

Comment by Bee — May 1, 2007 @ 7:06 am

150. Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 12:59 am

ESB IS EXTRUDED SOY BEAN

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 7:17 am

151. Look… you would not believe the crap we have had to take for our Pet Connection database.

“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.” — Mahatma Gandhi

If they’re giving you *@#(&, you’re probably doing something right. Keep up the good work, and thank you!

Comment by Katherine — May 1, 2007 @ 7:19 am

152. I lost my beloved chihuahua max to this disaster. I don’t trust pet foods anymore and I’m having a hard time trusting human foods. Particulary the baby formula that my new granddaughter drinks thats made my nestle’. Of course they had pet foods that were recalled. So how do I know that the protein powder in the baby formula isn’t contaminated also. I don’t know what is safe to eat for me,my family, or my furry friends. I’ve lost 5lbs since March 12th when Max died. God help us all!

Comment by Vicki — May 1, 2007 @ 7:32 am

153. Comment by CatLady — May 1, 2007 @ 4:45 am

I think he’s a nut!

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 7:32 am

154. “If this isn’t a wake-up call, then people are so asleep they are catatonic.”

…..Heh, reminds me of a band in Indy, if you’re not moving when you listen to their music you must be dead!

Comment by CAthyA — May 1, 2007 @ 7:37 am

155. We have been accused of promoting everything from hysteria to our own careers,
    Hey Gina, were those VNN vet hacks who were lobbing poop piles at you, while busily promoting their own careers? ;-)

Comment by CAthyA — May 1, 2007 @ 7:40 am

156. Comment by Sandi K — May 1, 2007 @ 6:57 am:
    “If there are any hold-out pet food companies that either havent tested their food or dont want to come forward for fear of profit loss, please just do the right thing.”

AMEN Sister!!!

Comment by Ally — May 1, 2007 @ 7:42 am

157. Commissioner of Food and Drugs Dr. Andrew C. von Eschenbach today announced the creation of the position of Assistant Commissioner for Food Protection

NO! I do not want another bloody layer attached to the FDA onion! I want what Durbin wants – a complete overhaul.

Comment by CAthyA — May 1, 2007 @ 7:45 am

158. Mary L said – “and That does not Include the Ones that are sick and have been sick for a Year PLUS ecause of all of this. I knew last year something was not right but noone would listen to me and said that my dogs must be stressed or getting into something around the house.”

I know exactly what you mean. My cat was diagnosed with CRF over a year ago at 8.5 yo. I couldn’t understand how a very healthy indoor only cat could get this disease. Now I realize she has probably been eating food with melamine in it for a long time. Guess what she ate just before she was diagnosed and was having trouble eating because of dental issues – Iams canned food!!!! Oh and her ultrasound showed crystals. Maybe it’s a coincidence but they have admitted melamine has been added to foods for years. Luckily she is still fighting but as her vet said when she was diagnosed “You shouldn’t have to fight this for another 10 years at least.”

Everyone who has lost a pet or has a pet who is still fighting, my heart goes out to you.

Comment by Brandi — May 1, 2007 @ 7:46 am

159. Spocko…..you rock!

Wasn’t on here much yesterday so I just read what you think the pet food companies should do to regain the trust of pet parents…..I’m not sure I’ll ever trust them again but perhaps if they did come forward & tell us the changes they plan on making, it might make a difference. I was cheering out loud as I read it….you are just plain wonderful. I think you need to send it to all of them.

I also would like to see ALL of the ingredients on the labels so we know what’s in the food & whether or not we want to feed it to our “kids”.

Comment by JanC — May 1, 2007 @ 7:54 am

160. PRETTY BAD ~ JUST GOT ALERT IN EMAIL!!!

THE U.S. IS BEING BANNED FOR MEATS/POULTRY

I KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN SINCE TYSON NOR THE FDA INITATED A RECALL.

THE COUNTY I LIVE IN IS BANNED – KARNES, TX!

Here’s the FSIS index: http://tinyurl.com/y887wo

This is VERY BAD!!!

Maybe we WANT to change our BOYCOTT — CONSUME NOTHING FROM THE US ???????

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 8:12 am

161. I’m confused Kat, where did you see TX listed in your first URL? The Mexico req are for export from Mex into the US and the only changes in the document are WRT pork meat that actually originated in Canada. I would imagine this has to do with melamine don’t you think?

Comment by CathyA — May 1, 2007 @ 8:32 am

162. Related… Recall Nestle who owns Purina and has opened up 5 Pakistan food plants. The last bragging to be the dominator of milk products…

Does this one give all pause???

Nestle to announce Gerber purchase today

Montgomery Advertiser – Buying Gerber plugs a big hole in the portfolio of the world’s largest food maker. Nestle is the world’s largest manufacturer of infant nutritional products — largely through its leading positions in developing countries such as Brazil and China
    Source: http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com

Comment by Pat — May 1, 2007 @ 8:34 am

163. Fresh/frozen poultry meat for further processing including mechanically de-boned meat (which may also be cured), carcass frames, viscera, and offal product. Product from birds originating in or coming from the following counties in Texas is ineligible: Gonzales, Guadalupe, Galdwell, Bastrop, Fayette, La Vaca, De Witt, Karnes, Wilson, Comal and Hays.
    Fresh/frozen poultry meat including mechanically de-boned meat (which may also be cured), viscera and offal product. Product from birds originating in or coming from the following counties in Texas is ineligible: Gonzales, Guadalupe, Galdwell, Bastrop, Fayette, La Vaca, De Witt, Karnes, Wilson, Comal and Hays.
    Chicken meat including mechanically de-boned meat and offal in brine. Product from birds originating in or coming from the following counties in Texas is ineligible: Gonzales, Guadalupe, Galdwell, Bastrop, Fayette, La Vaca, De Witt, Karnes, Wilson, Comal and Hays.
    Poultry products or products containing poultry ingredients that have been subjected to a heat treatment of 60 degrees C for at least 10 minutes. Product from birds originating in or coming from the following counties in Texas is ineligible: Gonzales, Guadalupe, Galdwell, Bastrop, Fayette, La Vaca, De Witt, Karnes, Wilson, Comal and Hays.
    Ineligible products
    Beef meat products containing advanced meat recovery, mechanically separated meat and ground meat.
    Veal imported from Canada.
    Uncooked poultry and poultry products with the exception of those products listed as “Eligible Products”.
    Uncooked poultry products stored in cold storage facilities located in the following counties in Texas is ineligible: Gonzales, Guadalupe, Galdwell, Bastrop, Fayette, La Vaca, De Witt, Karnes, Wilson, Comal and Hays. This does not include A.7. listed under “Eligible Products”.
    All poultry products, in addition to uncooked poultry products, stored in cold storage facilities located in the following counties in Texas is ineligible: Gonzales, Guadalupe, Galdwell, Bastrop, Fayette, La Vaca, De Witt, Karnes, Wilson, Comal and Hays. This does not include A.7. listed under “Eligible Products”.
    All poultry products originating from birds slaughtered in the following counties in Texas is ineligible: Gonzales, Guadalupe, Galdwell, Bastrop, Fayette, La Vaca, De Witt, Karnes, Wilson, Comal and Hays. This does not include A.7. listed under “Eligible Products”.

plus, there are bans for other US states poultry — see on down the index

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 8:41 am

164. Kat, I’m sorry, I’m frazzled, my Mom just passed recently, this whole thing is bringing up the death of my dog last August, I’m not real computer savvy, , looked at both your links and would like to send to my local paper, but can’t find in either what you’re talking about, please point me to it

Comment by Kathy Thompson — May 1, 2007 @ 8:41 am

165. This is because Tyson NOR the FDA initiated a recall!!!

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 8:44 am

166. Sorry, you added your next post while I was posting.

Comment by Kathy Thompson — May 1, 2007 @ 8:44 am

167. Kathy – did you see the text from the alert? Our posts crossed. I’m trying to find the one with the NE states listed.

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 8:52 am

168. Kathy – I’m so sorry about your Mom. I lost mine a couple of years ago & it’s still lonely without her.

I’m sorry about your doggy too! Lots of healing & 2 missed friends.

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 8:55 am

169. Nestle owns Purina. They are a Swiss Company with 5 new plants in Pakistan

Does this give anyone else pause?

Nestle to announce Gerber purchase today

Source: http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com

Comment by Pat — May 1, 2007 @ 9:00 am

170. OK I see it now and will send to paper. Thanks for that. And for caring about my Mom, and my dog, who I believe will turn out to have been casualties of this fiasco. I gotta get off here now, lots to do that I can’t neglect any longer but will be back tonight.

Comment by Kathy Thompson — May 1, 2007 @ 9:07 am

171. Here’s the link for the other states. It took me awhile to find it:

Ineligible Product
    Ruminant products other than fresh/frozen boneless beef, protein free tallow, and gelatin and collagen derived from skins and hides.
    Poultry and poultry products originating from Pennsylvania are eligible if produced on or after January 16, 2007. Products produced prior to that date are ineligible.
    Effective November 16, 2006, all poultry and poultry products originating from New York are ineligible. In addition, shipments transiting New York must be in a sealed container.
    Effective April 2, 2007, all poultry and poultry products originating from West Virginia are ineligible. In addition, shipments transiting West Virginia must be in a sealed container.

I’m going to call our regional USDA. Have no idea where that is & will report back.

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 9:10 am

172. I just read on the New York Times, Readers Opinion – blog – about the Food from China, where the bloggers are stating some interesting information.

1. Brand name toothpastes are made in China with no C.O.O.L – gag.
    2. An American living in China admonishes us to not buy products from China – same gag reason.

I’m brushing my teeth with baking soda and it better be made in America – but these days who really knows.

Here’s one interesting comment:”Living in Beijing, I can relate from memory over the past five years examples of the regime’s disdain for its subjects’ health…. the air is unbreathable and the water undrinkable; I have to cover my nose when I walk near a river. Fake milk and even eggs have been sold. Toothpaste is allowed to promote itself as having been accredited from fake agencies and Chinese beer found to be 35% formaldehyde-free. I wouldn’t trust anything made in this country to put either in my mouth or, seeing how the regime manages its dog population, in those of my pets.”

If it were that easy to not buy China all of us probably would be on the band wagon. I try not to buy China, but who really knows where the raw ingredients are from – they aren’t itemized on the labels, and even if they were – comapanies lie. Even Organic is coming in from China – fathom that! Gag!

Comment by Linda — May 1, 2007 @ 9:10 am

173. Anyone w/ pull out there… is the FTC aware of this? I really think the FTC should be part of this new agency. Is it?

Nestle to announce Gerber purchase today

Source: http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com

Comment by Pat — May 1, 2007 @ 9:12 am

174. It’s tempting to get excited today and cry “We won!” And while these most recent developments are INCREDIBLY exciting (yes, the concerted efforts of U.S. citizens CAN make a difference!)let’s not forget that today also marks the fourth anniversary of Bush’s infamous “Mission Accomplished” speech:

Let’s not make the same mistake by confusing the battle with the war. MOstly, let’s not make the same mistake of underestimating what it’s going to take to build a new and stable and – most of all – effective infrastructure to keep things from collapsing into chaos once again.

Comment by Pat — May 1, 2007 @ 9:17 am

175. Aw crud… feedster was behind…

This already happened April 11th…

Nestle said to buy Gerber business for $5 billion | ReutersLONDON, April 11 (Reuters) – Nestle SA (NESN.VX: Quote, Profile, Research is expected to announce a $5 billion deal to acquire baby-food maker Gerber, …

This is bad, bery, bery bad…

The FDA at least can still block baby food… I think… or not…

Comment by Pat — May 1, 2007 @ 9:22 am

176. I’ve called 2 phone numbers for our regional USDA office. No one knows what I’m talking about. The county agent is going to look into it. I’ll report later.

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 9:36 am

177. For those of you not visiting the Itchmo “Making A Difference” forums, I’m creating a Webshots online photo album of affected pets, to go along with the postcard blitz. I’m asking anyone whose pet was sick or died to email me a photo along with their pet’s name, the foods they ate, date of passing if they died, and contact info (email address, city and state).

Email to: AngelSimba61 at yahoo dot com. I’ll post a link to the website once there are photos in it (my pets weren’t affected).

Please spread the word. :)

Comment by Donna — May 1, 2007 @ 9:36 am

178. Kat, the poultry stuff has been going on for a while and I think it has to do with bird diseases, not this issue as it started last Nov. You will note that they don’t even want the poultry to transit NY for some reason. Have you checked your state page? This may be totally unrelated to the current situation.

Now, as for the stuff you posted about TX, which COUNTRY is this that is banning poultry from TX?

Comment by CathyA — May 1, 2007 @ 9:44 am

179. I am sick… you may ask besides Nestle owning Purina… how else does this relate to our pets?

I know people feeding their pets baby food, Gerber baby foods.

Anyone want to look up where those plants are? I am too sick at my stomach and have to get off.

Oh boy, now I get to tell them this too.

I feel like the bearer of lousy news. :{{

No, I tell my family and dear friends.. don’t eat rice, wheat, corn, or soy products which sure cuts out quite alot of what people and their pets now eat…

Our pets eat what we eat now and vice versa.

Anyone else feel like that??? Gloom and doom me…

AND I was set to wake up to a cheery day too.

I think I’ll go outside and feel the sunshine and listen to the birds now…

Comment by Pat — May 1, 2007 @ 9:45 am

180. RE: Comment by Linda — May 1, 2007 @ 9:10 am

I about gagged the other night when I read about the toothpaste, toothbrushes, common medications, preserves, dates, etc — gross reasons for IMPORT REFUSALS:

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 9:51 am

181. http://www.fda.gov/ora/oasis/ora_oasis_ref.html

The seafood refusals make me ill. There are even refusals for unapproved animal drugs found in the food.

I think I read some where that eels were injected with contraceptives to make them grow huge — not that I eat eel, but “Yuck!”

With as little as we admittedly inspect (what is the figure? 1% of imports?), an astronomical amount of this tainted, filthy food pushes right through with out even a nod.

Comment by petlover — May 1, 2007 @ 10:10 am

182. Comment by Kathy Thompson — May 1, 2007 @ 8:41 am

What was your dog eating last July?

Comment by Nadine Long — May 1, 2007 @ 10:19 am

183. The infamous “Pink Melamine Bag” is a tell – and I don’t believe for one moment it was shipped by mistake.

Comment by Linda — May 1, 2007 @ 10:21 am

184. And, THOSE listed are just the rejects of the 1 – 2% inspections that the FDA actually performs.

————

I cannot find the answer for the MX ban on poultry for our 10 county region. I’ve spoken to 3 people — 2 regional 1 in WA. No one knows why. I’m going to call the chicken processing plant 20 mi from here.

VERY TROUBLING!!

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 11:15 am

185. Comment by Linda — May 1, 2007 @ 10:21 am
    “The infamous “Pink Melamine Bag” is a tell – and I don’t believe for one moment it was shipped by mistake.”

………………..

Linda, I’ve been wondering the same thing ever since it was announced. Spooky…..

Comment by Ally — May 1, 2007 @ 11:17 am

186. Nadine

I got the map from Pets Need a Voice Too website…the map can actually be put on any website.

I wanted to put a memorium to the victims on my own site, as I feel it’s the least I can do at this moment in time.

I have posted my own JuJu, that I lost last month, and two other friends that lost their pets also added them.

There are actually around 100 furbabies and wishes from all over the world on the map now.

Please do add your furbaby…and I encourage everyone to do so also.

I was just comparing notes with my friend…and it seems to have an incredible healing effect to see your baby’s pic on that map…it shows the world that your baby counts. That you are not alone in your grief…the whole world now knows and shares it.

To access the map, you may go to my website:

Comment by Marcy — May 1, 2007 @ 11:40 am

187. Is fishmeal being tested?

BINZHOU FUTIAN sells fishmeal. Check alibaba and ecplaza.

I found these:

Hammersmith Marketing: http://hammersmithltd.blogspot.com/2007/04/weekly-report-april-22-2007.html

“This week, the big news for my customers and my business has been the problem with Chinese protein — wheat gluten protein, corn gluten meal, rice protein and fishmeal — from three named exporters in China. Authorities in the USA and South Africa have found that these protein items contain “melamine”. There is a great deal of speculation that the melamine has been added on purpose in order to increase the protein analysis”

AquaFeed.com http://www.aquafeed.com/article.php?id=1892

“Hammersmith Marketing Ltd. announced today (April 21, 2007) that it has stopped all shipments of protein meal products from China until the situation has been clarified.

“It is our understanding from reliable information that the products affected are a wide range of protein meals from china, including wheat gluten meal, pea protein meal, corn gluten meal and fishmeal”, Wayne Bacon said.”

Then at the AVMA JAVMA News
    “Manufacturers of pet food also import other ingredients when U.S. commodity producers can’t meet demand, according to the institute. These imports include fish meal, lamb meal, vitamins, and minerals.”

It looks suspicious to me. It doesn’t seem to be on the list. Maybe it is being tested but since it is a meat product maybe it is listed somewhere else?

Or do we need to raise a ruckus?

Comment by Peggy — May 1, 2007 @ 11:58 am

188. Ok. I found out why the 11 county region that I am in is listed on Mexico Requirements for Mexico MX-164, 4-30-07.

After calling 14 phone numbers & talking to over 20 people from local, regional & federal USDA offices to a local poultry processor & even an export company in Laredo — none knew anything about it — except one person in WA.

Michelle told me that this is an old export requirement, back from Feb 2004, when the area had an Asian Flu outbreak.

There is an ” * ” that directs down to an UPDATE — which is a ban on pork from Canada.

They are currently trying to get MX to lift the ban for TX.

Talk about “heart failure”. I am relieved & sorry at the same time. I alerted this board about something that I was frightened about — before researching fully.

Most everyone wants to post “breaking news” to advise when things happen — and, they are happening fast now-a-days.

My apologies for posting erroneous information!
    Well, not really erroneous info, because it still exists, but not current.

If Michelle turns out to be incorrect, that is if any of the 20+ people I’ve talked to or left msgs for, come back with a different msg I will let you know.

Comment by Kat — May 1, 2007 @ 12:41 pm

189. I lost my beloved chihuahua max to this disaster. I don’t trust pet foods anymore and I’m having a hard time trusting human foods. Particulary the baby formula that my new granddaughter drinks thats made my nestle’. Of course they had pet foods that were recalled. So how do I know that the protein powder in the baby formula isn’t contaminated also. I don’t know what is safe to eat for me,my family, or my furry friends. I’ve lost 5lbs since March 12th when Max died. God help us all!

Comment by Vicki — May 1, 2007 @ 7:32 am ______________

Vicki, I feel the same way! God bless you.

I am numb with a feeling of pure violation. The worldly elite, who are money grabbing and power hungry, have violated not only humanity but the creatures who make this planet their home.

I wish I could say that my own country, the USA, have not violated me and mine; sadly I cannot.

As someone said in an earlier post, it is Pet Connection and truly humane individuals, who would not give up…that is the reason the FDA is finally picking up the cause. Yet, the cause is actually the reason they were formed. What made them lay down on the job?

Global trade and what the Corporate Elite can get out of it is why the FDA, and most government officials are simply sleeping at the wheel. Until one of their family members are poisoned…they will remain asleep.

Most decent people on this planet today are fighting a war, but it is not the war you think…it is the war for human decency. God help us all.

I am researching a food company called UNILEVER BRAND. I have spoken with a representative there, and she is supposed to get back to me.

I have been on a liquid diet off and on for awhile. This company makes SLIMFAST, and I use this diet drink. After reading the information that was released recently, I decided to contact this company.

I spoke with an Eileen Corrado at the number of 201-227-5843. She seemed to be aware, and she promised me she would get me the information I asked for. It is a start.

Thank all of you here at Pet Connection for being here for me, and thank you for not being asleep at the wheel of life.

And God bless our precious family members, who have passed away from this harsh world. I know they are in a better place, and their innocent souls are receiving the nourishment in heaven…they could not get here. May God be with all of you, who are nursing ill pets. May they get better soon.

Comment by Pam Williams — May 1, 2007 @ 1:33 pm

190. Thank you, Pam, for caring for those of us…pets and people…who have been affected by this tragedy. My dog, Freedom, is very sick again and is losing her eyesight in one eye. My thoughts and prayers are with all whom are fighting the same battle.

Comment by Ann Jackson — May 1, 2007 @ 4:27 pm

191. We should let the FDA know that we appreciate the effort, because god knows the makers of Doritos, etc. are going to Freak when they can’t get all these ingredients for their products.

Comment by Susan — May 2, 2007 @ 7:31 am

192. You all deserve so much credit for what you have done. Thank you! I am not a pet owner but have been following this story here and other websites and blogs and you have truly performed a public service.

Comment by Pete — May 2, 2007 @ 8:15 am

193. In France and Europe we have also serious problems – because of the mycotoxins contained in the croquettes (kibbles).
    But we do not have a Federation as the FDA in the USA to help us.
    I explained on my Web site, in French but also on English, all my problem, page :
    I do not know who can help us in our country. I wrote with the Ministry Agriculture and we do not receive an answer. What do we have to make ? Ma Griff’s Persians – France -

Comment by PONCET Anne-Charlotte — May 3, 2007 @ 3:16 am

194. I watched the love of my life waste away and finally die because of this damn recall. I gave her home IV therapy twice a day, force fed her, held her so she could go to the bathroom. Everyday she lost more of her life, and I lost mine. They are not “just animals.” They are our companions, our loves, our partners. We should never have to doubt the safety of any food-human or animal. When we have so many farmers struggling in America,
    HOW could our government allow this to happen? Any explanation is a small consolation indeed.

Comment by Jazz Lover — June 28, 2007 @ 7:19 am