Pet-food recall: Costo pulls product

April 26, 2007

• If you have a sick pet or a question on your pet’s health, call your veterinarian.
  • If you want your say on food-safety reform, Sen. Durbin’s office wants to hear from you.
  • If you’re new to the site, please check out our general information page (includes links to recalled foods).
  • If you’d like suggestions on what to feed, click here.
  • If you want to report a sick or deceased pet, click here.

Therese at the Pet Food List has just gotten off the phone with Costco and American Nutrition. They have confirmed with her the recall of Kirkland Signature canned food.

We’ve just confirmed with Costo by phone as well.

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Canned Food, item # 38436, best buy dates of Aug. 21 08 to April 15 of 09, has been voluntarilly recalled. We don’t yet know more than that.

We’re waiting to ask the FDA about it in the media briefing now. They ended the briefing before we could ask. Hmmmm. And right after telling another reporter that although they couldn’t rule out any more recalls, they weren’t expecting any, either.

It’s difficult to believe the FDA didn’t know when they answered the previous reporter’s question and then wouldn’t take ours.

Why do we have to keep playing cat-and-mouse to get this information?

UPDATE: I just saw on the MSNBC website a notice that a Lick Your Chops product was included in an earlier recall – I don’t think anyone has mentioned that until now? Story here.

Go to the latest blog post | Go to the PetConnection home page

Technorati Tags: , , ,,

Filed under: pets, connected,recalls — Gina Spadafori @ 1:58 pm

1. What about Kirkland dry foods? They’re made at Diamond.

Comment by SusanUnPC — April 26, 2007 @ 2:03 pm

2. Susan, many people are trying to find that out right now…

Comment by Kim — April 26, 2007 @ 2:07 pm

3. I pulled this from another website I visit:

I AM SORRY THIS IS SO LONG, BUT FELT IT IMPORTANT FOR THOSE OUT THERE THAT BREED/RAISE KITTENS AND PUPPIES READ IT IMMEDIATELY -

URGENT BREEDER ALERT

BEWARE PUPPY MILK REPLACERS AND WEANING FORMULA

by Robert Jay Russell, Ph.D., Coton de Tulear Club of America President
    CotonNews@aol. com
    http://www.CotonClub. com

April 26th, 2007. I was monitoring a livestock email list today when I noticed a post by one of the members who was looking for milk replacer for her kids (goats). She wrote:

Recently I had some kids born and mother refused them. Not having
    enough milk from mother to feed these kids I went to Milk
    Replacer. I usually use Land-O-Lakes Kid Milk Replacer but could not
    find any anywhere. I went to Tractor Supply Company (TSC) and purchased two 10# bags of MannaPro UNIMILK. I have since lost one kid. I happened to be talking to a friend in Indiana about
    what happened and she asked me what replacer I was using, so I told
    her…This is when I found out that brand had a RECALL notice. I
    searched through the information and found that INDEED the bags I
    purchased were part of that recall. I Called the TSC store and they
    had no idea anything had a recall on it. I printed the info out and
    the next day I took everything into the store to prove to them. The
    recall has been in place since 3-30-07. All the Unimilk was still on
    the shelf, not taking my word for it. I showed the manager the
    printout and he searched the TSC website and found no alerts. He
    said he would give me my money back for both bags but he couldn’t do
    anything about the kid. Yesterday I stopped at a friends house and
    found they she was using UNIMILK for a calf… She got it at TSC
    about 2 weeks ago. Why wasn’t TSC informed? And then when they
    were? Why didn’t they do anything about it?

Dr. Russell continues:

I went on the Manna Pro corporation web site today and had a very difficult time finding a tiny button which stated “Information about Manna Pro Milk Replacer” (nothing about “Alert” or “Recall” or Danger”). This is what that MannaPro information page stated:

Manna Pro has a heritage of quality and takes pride in maintaining the highest quality standards for the products it produces and sells under the Manna Pro brand name.

Very recently, a few customers have reported that, when mixed with water, the Unimilk they purchased turns light grey in color rather than the characteristic creamy white. As we have investigated these consumer calls, we have identified that a single batch of Unimilk is affected by this issue.

The lot codes for this product are listed below.

PLEASE IMMEDIATELY DESTROY ANY PRODUCT YOU HAVE WITH THESE LOT CODES.
    Unimilk, 3.5# Poly Bag Unimilk, 10# Paper Bag
    LOT CODE: AB710AZ LOT CODE: A021207BZ
    LOT CODE: AB710BZ
    LOT CODE: AB710CZ
    LOT CODE: AB712AZ
    LOT CODE: AB712BZ
    LOT CODE: AB712CZ

All Manna Pro products are Satisfaction Guaranteed, and we will be happy to offer you a full refund. Simply cut the lot code numbers from the bottom of the bag, and send in to Manna Pro Products, 707 Spirit 40 Park Dr., Suite 150, Chesterfield, MO 63005, attn: Suze L.

If you have a receipt from your purchase, please include it. If not, simply indicate what you paid for the product and where you bought it, and we will issue your refund.Please call with questions at 866/489-1500.

Updated 3/30/2007

Dr. Russell continues:

Note that the MannaPro recall mentions nothing about poisoned gluten nor does it mention any report to the FDA. However, it is reasonable to suggest that this company may be quietly attempting to cover up another case of Chinese gluten/protein concentrate melamine poisoning. Manna Pro makes livestock feed for farmers AND inexpensive pet food most often sold at farm supply stores (but note: The Tractor Supply Company is located in suburban and even urban areas throughout the US and is popular with suburbanites, not just farmers).

What is significant here is the penetration of possible highly toxic food into the category of “Milk Replacer” and “Weaning Formula” for dogs and cats. Many CTCA Code of Ethics Breeders and others use milk replacers and weaning formulae routinely, often as a bridge between mother’s milk and puppy food at weaning time. So BEWARE!!! Check ingredient lists carefully.

AN ALTERNATIVE: you need not use a commercial weaning formula. Instead, blend milk with some finely blended puppy food or dog food that you’ve checked to make sure is NOT on any recall list and does NOT contain grain products (rice, corn, wheat, soy). This, in fact, is probably a far better formulae for weaning and milk replacement.

AND EVERYONE: check ingredient lists with care. Even milk replacers may contain protein concentrates, grain powders or glutens!

This crisis is far from over.

Comment by Issy — April 26, 2007 @ 2:09 pm

4. Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Dog Food and Adult Dry Cat Food have been voluntarily recalled by the manufacturer because the products could contain rice protein concentrate tainted with melamine. Preliminary tests for melamine contamination have been negative, but final test results from the FDA are expected within two weeks.

The recalled food lots are: Adult Lite Dry Dog Food item numbers 14180, 14262 and 14263, or Adult Lite Dry Cat Food item numbers 12855, 12856, 13864 and 13865 purchased between January 22, 2007 and April 19; and Adult Lite Dry Dog Food item numbers 14178 and 14179 purchased between February 2, 2007 and April 19, 2007.

Until final test results are available from the FDA, Drs. Foster & Smith request its customers discontinue feeding their pets the food from the lots listed above. The manufacturer is also contacting all customers who have purchased the affected products and advises customers that none of the other Drs. Foster & Smith foods contain rice protein concentrate.

For more information, see Drs. Foster & Smith Web site at http://www.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?gid=568.

Comment by Ana — April 26, 2007 @ 2:19 pm

5. Would that be Dog food?

Comment by Kim — April 26, 2007 @ 2:44 pm

6. I just called ManaPro and the woman who answered said no recalls and I objected – she switched me over to Steve who verified the recall and confimed it was not on his website but they have notified the stores personally and issued the recall. They identified one batch – and I noticed on the website that they use a dried whey protein concentrate. Steve also wanted to know who I was – I told him a blogger.

Comment by Izzy — April 26, 2007 @ 2:47 pm

7. This is interesting – formula for baby kittens and puppies and possibly other newborn animals -a recall done on the sly with no press – just phone calls. This is very disturbing news.

Comment by Linda — April 26, 2007 @ 2:52 pm

8. Thanks Issy! I sent the whole post to my cousin who raises specialty goats.

Comment by Shawn — April 26, 2007 @ 2:53 pm

9. Is this dog food or cat food?

Comment by slt — April 26, 2007 @ 2:55 pm

10. Most milk replacers use dried whey protein concentrate as a main ingredient. Looking right now at the ingredients of my Pet-Ag KMR powder. Cannot believe (yet) something would be wrong with it. Maybe something else is wrong with the Manapro product.

Comment by Serijna — April 26, 2007 @ 2:56 pm

11. The protein concentrate is the buzz word here. I basically confirmed the recall and the product.

Comment by Issy — April 26, 2007 @ 2:59 pm

12. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18336622/

This news says Lick Your Chops was recalled too. I wasn’t aware of that. Maybe ya’ll were.

Lick Your Chops Lamb Meal, Rice & Egg Cat Food in packages with a net weight of 4 lbs. and a code date best used by April 29, 2008.

Comment by Michelle — April 26, 2007 @ 3:04 pm

13. These are the dates for the Kirkland Signature foods..

Wouldn’t it be logical to assume that since the last ‘best buy’ date is April 09, that it was made just recently? And that the other date, Aug 08 might mean that it was made in Aug 06??? 2yr shelf life? Produced long before they are admitting to, as I’ve suspected of all of these recalls

Comment by Pat — April 26, 2007 @ 3:07 pm

14. Thanks Michelle – as far as I know this is the first we’ve heard about Lick Your Chops.. this is insane!

Comment by Kim — April 26, 2007 @ 3:08 pm

15. Wilbur-Ellis rice protein recalls – 5 mfg – 7 locations:

KS – CF Foods (Blue Buff Dry Kitten)
    NY – Chenango Valley (SmartPak)
    NY – Chenango Valley (Dr Foster/Smith)
    MO – Royal Canin
    MO – Diamond (NB Dry)
    UT – Amer.Nutrition (Costco Kirkland Signature)
    ?? – ??possibly Chicken Soup canned???

Comment by catlover — April 26, 2007 @ 3:10 pm

16. catlover – where’d you get the 7 locations info from?

Comment by Kim — April 26, 2007 @ 3:14 pm

17. CF Foods has a plant in Nebraska… ??

Comment by Kim — April 26, 2007 @ 3:15 pm

18. Hi Kim, it was first posted here, in one of the blogs, by Christie or Gina. But I could not find a mention of ’7′ on the FDA website though.

Comment by catlover — April 26, 2007 @ 3:19 pm

19. Hi Kim, here is the blog that mentions the 5 mfg/7 locations:

Comment by catlover — April 26, 2007 @ 3:21 pm

20. Here is the FDA notice of the 5 mfg for Wilbur-Ellis:

Comment by catlover — April 26, 2007 @ 3:22 pm

21. oops, I made a typo in that list above. It is CJ FOODS – sorry!

Comment by catlover — April 26, 2007 @ 3:27 pm

22. Comment by Michelle — April 26, 2007 @ 3:04 pm

I just went to the Lick Your Chops website to see if there was any info there – just an announcement from a few days ago saying that their products were NOT involved in the recall. I called the 800 number and someone answered right away. He confirmed the recall of the dry cat food referred to in the msnbc story – said it was just the one batch with the best by April 29, 2008 date. Also said it was precautionary measure by them and Chenango, based on possible contamination, not confirmed. I pointed out that there was nothing on their website yet, and that now that this story was on msnbc and petconnection, people were going to be hitting their website alot. He agreed the need to address that, and that he had to contact his webmaster. Said the website would be updated by tomorrow morning at the latest.

This bullet-dodging is getting real old. The number of recalled brands and products that I sometimes have bought keeps getting longer. I had three cats die in the past year, under traumatic and unlikely circumstances – NOT related to this recall. I couldn’t take another hit, emotionally or financially. I really need to feel confident that what I’m feeding my cats isn’t going to poison them.

Comment by cerridwen — April 26, 2007 @ 3:27 pm

23. have i missed something? has the FDA addressed the second import of this RCP poison and who has it?

Comment by straybaby — April 26, 2007 @ 3:31 pm

24. Does anyone know the ingredient in question in the Kirkland canned food? I have their Premium Lamb & Rice and Chicken & Rice and they only have rice flour. Also the side of the can says 38680 and 28997 as item numbers. But that doesn’t always match what my sales slip says as an item number..so now I am lost.

Comment by Keryat — April 26, 2007 @ 3:32 pm

25. Lick your Chops – WTF????? I thought we were done with the Wilbur Ellis recall????? This is ridiculous!

Does anyone know who makes Chick Soup canned?

Comment by catlover — April 26, 2007 @ 3:33 pm

26. CBS NEWS is going to have the pet food recall on shortly

Comment by MARY — April 26, 2007 @ 3:35 pm

27. methinks Diamond better add more checks . . .

151 Checks
    141 Ingredient Tests.
    10 Final Product Checks.
    Zero Compromises.

Here’s what goes into every Diamond product:

Each of our products undergoes a rigorous quality control process prior to shipment, including 141 ingredient tests and 10 final product quality and safety checks.
    Diamond uses only the highest-quality ingredients.
    Every Diamond Pet Foods product is Precision Formulatedâ„¢ for content, quality, consistency and uniformity.
    Diamond is audited regularly by a highly respected independent laboratory for food safety, quality and palatability.
    We only sell products that we would be proud to feed to our own pets.

Comment by straybaby — April 26, 2007 @ 3:37 pm

28. to keryat – i dont use kirkland, but it appears as if they state they do not use gluten of any kind, but are now recalled

Kirkland Signature Brand Pet Food (information provided by manufacturer 4/23/07)

SOME CANNED PRODUCTS RECALLED 4/26/07. Will have more information soon.

Dry food manufactured by Diamond, sold by Costco

None of these foods contain rice protein concentrate and they are not involved in any current recall.

All the grains and meats are from North America.

Some ingredients we cannot get from the US (such as flax seed). We get it from Canada, through a US supplier.

No glutens of any kind are used.

Comment by 3pups — April 26, 2007 @ 3:39 pm

29. Catlover and everyone – re: Chicken Soup food

Just copied this from The Pet Food List:

Diamond Pet Foods
    (verified by company 3/28/07)
    * Brands include Diamond, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul, Nutra Nuggets, Premium Edge, Professional Pet Food
    * No products made by Menu Foods
    * All foods contain US and Canadian ingredients
    * Manufacture their own dry food
    * Canned foods made by American Nutrition
    * Wheat, wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate is not used in any of our dry, canned, or treat products. (from website 4/18/07)

I also just spoke to a manager at one of the local (western PA) Pet Supplies Plus stores to see if he had any information about a Chicken Soup recall. He checked online, his faxes, etc and found nothing.

If Chicken Soup is being recalled, that’s even more alarming, as their labels (yeah, I know, what’s that worth?) and website say they don’t use any of the suspect ingredients.

Linda K, can you name the store who told you about the recall?

Comment by cerridwen — April 26, 2007 @ 3:43 pm

30. No recall information at Costco site that I can find.

The only recall information I can find at American Nutrition Inc’s website is the “We’re not involved in the Menu Foods recall!” notice.

I know…it’s a double-secret recall!

Comment by Barry — April 26, 2007 @ 3:44 pm

31. 2 or 3 days ago somebody posted on this website that her husband worked at Costco, and they were instructed to pull all the Kirkland food from the shelves because it was being tested as a precaution.

Comment by catlover — April 26, 2007 @ 3:47 pm

32. Wilber-Ellis rice protein concentrate
    The 5 Companies and their recalled foods:

KS:
    CJ Foods
    (Blue Buf dry kitten)

UT:
    American Nutrition, Inc.,Ogden UT
    (Natural Balance Canned, Costco Kirkland, also makes Chicken Soup canned)

NY:
    Chenango Valley Pet Foods,Sherburne,NY
    (Dr. Foster and Smith, Smartpak)

MO: 1. Diamond (Dry Natural Balance)
    2. Royal Canin (Royal Canin Dry)

This is short list as I have it at the moment. Blue Buf makes foods at two of the locations above canned at one location and dry at another. Chicken Soup wet is made at Utah, American Nutrition, if the info I have is correct.

Comment by Gracie — April 26, 2007 @ 3:51 pm

33. American Nutrition manufacturers wet food for Blue Buffalo & Natural Balance (both of these have been recalled) AND they make canned food for Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul……… the puppy and kitten canned/wet has been recalled.

Comment by marcy — April 26, 2007 @ 3:52 pm

34. The Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul, according to their website, has not been recalled.

Comment by Linda — April 26, 2007 @ 3:56 pm

35. Response from Diamond Vet RE: Corn Gluten in Diamond and Nutro Nugget (costco) as they don’t use Rice or Wheat Protein.
    I posted this earlier on another thread..

I had called their customer service and was told that they purchase in the US but that they didn’t know if it actually was grown in US. Also, that it only had a LITTLE corn gluten in it. So then I sent them an email….

Dear Kerry:

I apologize for the confusion. We do have some temporary customer service
    representatives who are helping us answer questions about the recall, we
    will make sure that they get the correct information about corn gluten meal.

The corn gluten meal that is used in all of our brands is grown, processed,
    and purchased solely within the United States. It is not imported by Diamond
    Pet Foods or by our suppliers.

Please be reassured that the Diamond and Nutra Nuggets products are ok to
    feed.

Sincerely,

Melissa Brookshire, DVM
    Director of Veterinary Services
    Diamond Pet Foods
    573-229-4203 (office)

Comment by Keryat — April 26, 2007 @ 4:00 pm

36. Comment by marcy — April 26, 2007 @ 3:52 pm

Blue Buff canned has NOT been recalled – only the dry Kitten food was recalled (and within 24 hours of the Wilbur Ellis rice protein announcement – the only company to quickly do a recall here). And I don’t recall NB canned being recalled either.

Comment by catlover — April 26, 2007 @ 4:07 pm

37. comment to keryat…. BUT your letter does not specifically mention Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul…..

Comment by marcy — April 26, 2007 @ 4:08 pm

38. I called Chicken Soup for the PetLovers soul and confirmed today these recalls:

Diamond Dog Wet food (can) 13 oz Lamb and Rice
    Chicken Soup for the Petlovers Soul canned wet:

Kitten 5.5 oz
    puppy 13 oz

(No dry and no others as of today)

Comment by Issy — April 26, 2007 @ 4:08 pm

39. CHECK AGAIN NB has recalled the following:
    We Have Recalled the Following Products:
    Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Formula
    Venison and Brown Rice Canned Dog Food
    Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats
    Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Formula

Comment by marcy — April 26, 2007 @ 4:10 pm

40. linda k,

You said on another thread that Wellness is “being tested.” Please respond as to (1) what Wellness products are being tested? and (2) how you learned of this information? Please don’t post information such as this about Wellness without attribution. It puts those of us who feed it to our pets in a panic when we can’t learn anything else about such a charge. Is it only their products with rice protein?

Comment by Maureen — April 26, 2007 @ 4:12 pm

41. When in doubt call the company and if you reach a person ask to be transferred to the President or to someone that knows. Some of these recalls are happening so fast that even the people answering the phones don’t know and the web information is lagging behind.

Comment by Linda — April 26, 2007 @ 4:12 pm

42. Since NB canned WAS recalled, that means both Diamond & American Nutrition have recalled NB.

Comment by catlover — April 26, 2007 @ 4:13 pm

43. Just checked the manufacturer’s websites – yes, the only Blue Buff recall was the dry kitten food. NB did initially announce a recall of dry food only, but did add one canned product for dogs:
    - Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Formula
    - Venison and Brown Rice Canned Dog Food
    - Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats
    - Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Formula

But I still want to know where specifically are people hearing about Chicken Soup recalls – I find no news stories, nothing on CS website – marcy? linda k?

Comment by cerridwen — April 26, 2007 @ 4:13 pm

44. Blue Buffalo has recalled thier dry Spa Select kitten food for a rice protein concentrate problem……… check thier website it is on there.

Comment by marcy — April 26, 2007 @ 4:14 pm

45. Cerridwen:

Issy called the company direct and found out. Call the company. Some of this information is so new it is not on websites yet.

Comment by Linda — April 26, 2007 @ 4:15 pm

46. Well you know tomorrow is Friday and I’ll bet that at 5:00 Friday they will update thier websites…

Comment by marcy — April 26, 2007 @ 4:15 pm

47. Regarding the milk replacement formula…brings to mind the disaster in china when hundreds of babies died due to non-nutritional baby milk sold there. I never found mild replacement formulas of much use. I made my own for my dogs with…goat milk, canned from baby section of food store. All my breeder friends make our own. That they did not notify the FDA or announce a recall of this is criminal. Report to Durbin. One more example of lax oversight.

Comment by Sandra — April 26, 2007 @ 4:17 pm

48. If you require assistance or have questions regarding Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul please call:
    800-658-0624

Office Hours:
    8am-5pm, M-F,
    Central Time

Address:
    PO Box 156
    Meta, MO 65058

Comment by Linda — April 26, 2007 @ 4:17 pm

49. Maybe we need our own web site to report these things and tell the TRUTH so that there is one place people can go to and learn the facts about what we are feeding our pets. One trustworthy place. Not the FDA Not the Pet food sites. A non-affiliated site that is available to everyone.

Comment by Sandra — April 26, 2007 @ 4:18 pm

50. HAS Chicken soup recalled any dry food?! My daughter agility champions are on that food and those dogs are her LIFE. They seem fine.

Comment by Bonni — April 26, 2007 @ 4:18 pm

51. Issy posted above at 4:08 that no dry have been recalled – only three products wet that she listed.

When in doubt I think it best to call each company but I suppose the phone lines get overloaded.

Comment by Linda — April 26, 2007 @ 4:20 pm

52. Wilbur-Ellis rice protein recalls – 5 mfg – 7 (or more???) locations:

KS – CJ Foods (Blue Buff Dry Kitten)
    NY – Chenango Valley (SmartPak)
    NY – Chenango Valley (Dr Foster/Smith)
    NY – Chenango Valley (Lick Your Chops)
    MO – Royal Canin
    MO – Diamond (NB Dry)
    UT – Amer.Nutrition (Costco Kirkland Signature)
    UT – Amer.Nutrition (NB dog canned)
    UT – ?Amer.Nutr. – Chicken Soup canned???

About Lick Your Chops recall:

Comment by catlover — April 26, 2007 @ 4:21 pm

53. How many times have I gone to recheck the ingredients in my bag of dry dog food after reading the posts. I’ve lost count and my eyes are crossed and blurry. Unbelievable!

Comment by VJ — April 26, 2007 @ 4:22 pm

54. In Ref to comment to keryat…. BUT your letter does not specifically mention Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul…..

Comment by marcy — April 26, 2007

Diamond JUST updated their main voice mail with the recalls of the CAN food that American Nutr produces for them…their dry food is ok per this same message. Diamond Pet Foods
    573-229-4203 (office)

I was on the phone for 30 min with Costco and they finally were able to tell me that it was Rice protein that is the issue also. The wierd thing is that the label on my Kirkland Lamb and Rice does not say it contains Rice Protein, only Rice flour. the supervisor there is checking into it and calling me back. My exp date does fall within the date range.

Comment by Keryat — April 26, 2007 @ 4:24 pm

55. My head is going to explode.

Sorry for crossing posts – posts get answered while I’m still researching, typing, etc

okay – I went back to CSFTPLS website for 100th time – still no info. Called the 800 number, even though it’s after hours. The recording is by a vet – I think the woman whose “vet notes” are on their website? She starts out by saying that none of their products are being recalled. THEN she says that American Nutrition is recalling products and that some Diamond/CS products manufactured there are being recalled as a precaution (the ones named above in Issy’s comment).

WTF, CSFTPLS????!!!!!!

Put this info on your website – no excuse for making this move and not updating your website. You have people inhouse to throw something up there quickly.

Call the number and hear it for yourselves:
    800-658-0624

Guess I’ll call the manager at Pet Supplies Plus back and recommend that he do the same.

Comment by cerridwen — April 26, 2007 @ 4:26 pm

56. CHICKEN SOUP HAS A RECORDING NOW… they are recalling ONLY the canned kitten and the canned puppy. I just listed to the recording.

Comment by Bonni — April 26, 2007 @ 4:26 pm

57. I was wondering about the Wellness. I seen long ago that rpc was in the food. The website confirmed that they source it from Asia. I also seen on the Smartpak website that they (Wellness & Smartpak) have some kind of partnership with the Smartpaks. Makes it a little to close for comfort. This is rediculous that they drop us hints and we have to figure it out ourselves. The FDA doesn’t even have Lick Your Chops or Fosters and Smith on the site yet, but they updated the Pet Food Recall page today.

Comment by Stephanie — April 26, 2007 @ 4:28 pm

58. Thank you Bonni…….

Comment by marcy — April 26, 2007 @ 4:34 pm

59. CSFTPLS must be reading this blog. They just put this announcement on their homepage, but it looks like it’s a beta version, as it’s marked “test”:

Diamond Pet Foods has announced it is withdrawing a limited number of canned products manufactured by American Nutrition. This action is limited to three specific canned products: Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Kitten Formula 5.5 oz. cans, and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Puppy Formula 13 oz. cans, and Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula for Dogs 13 oz. cans. Diamond Pet Foods has not received any indication of quality or safety issues, including pet illness, with the three withdrawn products. However, because American Nutrition informed the company that these three specific products may include rice protein concentrate, Diamond Pet Foods felt this action was necessary for the protection of its customers and their pets. Customers with these products should stop feeding them immediately and return them to their retailer for a full refund.

Comment by cerridwen — April 26, 2007 @ 4:34 pm

60. Wilbur-Ellis rice protein recalls – 5 mfg – many locations (how many more??):

KS – CJ Foods (Blue Buff Dry Kitten)
    NY – Chenango Valley (SmartPak)
    NY – Chenango Valley (Dr Foster/Smith)
    NY – Chenango Valley (Lick Your Chops)
    MO – Royal Canin
    MO – Diamond (NB Dry)
    UT – Amer.Nutrition (Costco Kirkland Signature)
    UT – Amer.Nutrition (NB dog canned)
    UT – Amer.Nutr. (Chicken Soup canned) -
    kitten (5.5oz) & puppy (13 oz)
    UT – Amer.Nutr. (Diamond canned) -
    dog Lamb/Rice (13 oz)

I called the 800 number to verify the Chick Soup & Diamond canned.

Comment by catlover — April 26, 2007 @ 4:36 pm

61. I mentioned on one of the blogs a day or two ago that I had been looking at a Asian grocery market site and they had rice flour listed as a flour that is used in cakes and deserts and not to be confused with “glutenous rice flour”.
    At the time I was wondering if all the Hill’s Science diet foods that list rice flour could in reality be talking about the Rice Protein Concentrate.
    I don’t feed the Chicken Soup line to any of the animals here but when I went to their web site I can’t find anything in either the puppy or kitten that is among the recall items.
    Does this mean that they have such items included and not listed or is some new ingredient in question :(

Comment by Maureen (Lilly and Lucy's mom) — April 26, 2007 @ 4:36 pm

62. Well its on the Chicken Soup web page now:
    Attention

MAY INCLUDE RICE PROTEIN CONCENTRATE… don’t they know.. and what good is checking ingredients if they aren’t listing them!!!!!!!!! X(

Comment by Maureen (Lilly and Lucy's mom) — April 26, 2007 @ 4:39 pm

63. You have got to be kidding:
    “However, because American Nutrition informed the company that these three specific products may include rice protein concentrate”

You really expect me to believe that Diamond doesn’t know what is in their products! Right. If they don’t, they don’t deserve to be in business

Comment by Jenny — April 26, 2007 @ 4:40 pm

64. Well the previous message on Chicken Soup’s site said: “…rice protein concentrate is not used in any of our dry, canned or treat products.”

So how does that jive with “…American Nutrition informed the company that these three specific products may include rice protein concentrate…”?

Comment by slt — April 26, 2007 @ 4:40 pm

65. Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
    Kitten Formula

Ingredients
    Chicken, salmon, chicken liver, turkey, duck, chicken broth, whole grain brown rice, white rice, oatmeal, potatoes, barley, egg product, guar gum, flaxseed meal, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, taurine, dried chicory root, carrageenan gum, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K), copper sulfate, calcium iodate and sodium selenite.

Rice protein is not even mentioned. Only whole grain brown rice, white rice. Does this mean that they are using something new that wasn’t updated or does this mean that ANYTHING rice is suspect????

Comment by ma; — April 26, 2007 @ 4:43 pm

66. Well – one word – ‘liars’. Or they are just stupid and don’t deserve anyone’s business.

Comment by Jenny — April 26, 2007 @ 4:45 pm

67. Actually – Chicken Soup does list Menadione on the label – another item many are avoiding.

Comment by Jenny — April 26, 2007 @ 4:49 pm

68. I don’t trust any pet food for my cat and two dogs. I know it is time consuming and more expensive way to feed them, but they deserve it, after eating the poison in cans and dry food for years!! i wish more politicians and celebs, would speak out about this grave situation!!

Comment by ann gates — April 26, 2007 @ 4:54 pm

69. Aargh!! I am having a really hard time not blowing a gasket here, this is just totally beyond belief. This is a MAJOR epidemic, so when is FDA going to ban all incoming grain-type products from China, when we have no more pet population left?

Comment by Sandi K — April 26, 2007 @ 4:58 pm

70. *If* Chicken Soup truly didn’t know that rice protein concentrate was an ingredient in some of their foods, they shouldn’t have had a big notice on their website (until a few minutes ago) saying it definitely *isn’t* one of their ingredients. How on earth can we protect our pets when we can’t trust what’s on the labels and the companies themselves apparently *don’t know* what ingredients are in their foods?
    Every single time I hear “The pet foods on the shelves are safe” I cringe. : (

Comment by slt — April 26, 2007 @ 4:58 pm

71. Just looked in to see what foods are being recalled. Chicken Soup!?!! I just recommended that brand last week (as one of the “safe” ones) to someone who’d taken in a kitten. There was NOTHING about proteins, glutens, etc. that I saw. Does anyone here know what’s going on?

Comment by Eva — April 26, 2007 @ 4:58 pm

72. We wish we did Eva, we wish we did.

Comment by Kim — April 26, 2007 @ 4:59 pm

73. I tried to get a real person at the company but could not. . . now they are closed. I did leave a message. I want to know WHY it was not listed as an ingredient and they claimed it was not in their food on their website. . . this is just so wrong.

Comment by Bonni — April 26, 2007 @ 5:00 pm

74. Whens the last time you saw a dog or a cat stalking “Chicken Soup” in their natural environment.

Let me tell you something. When science caves in and plays second and third fiddle to the marketing evangelists, your going to have trouble.

Comment by Steve — April 26, 2007 @ 5:01 pm

75. I saved a copy of the Chicken Soup webpage home a few hours ago when Linda gave us a heads-up on the recalls.

Exact wording and capitalization from that Chicken Soup webpage follows:

“WHEAT, WHEAT GLUTEN, CORN GLUTEN MEAL OR RICE PROTEIN CONCENTRATE IS NOT USED in any of our dry, canned or treat products.”

Kudos to Linda for the early info. Boo’s to Chicken Soup for the bold face lie.

Comment by Gracie — April 26, 2007 @ 5:02 pm

76. When does this end? It’s beyond ridiculous, it’s absolute lunacy!!! Diamond, Chicken Soup for the Pet?????

Please, for your pets sake, cook for them, this is not all there is! Err on the side of caution.

Remember please that there was a time before commercial pet food that dogs and cats survived to a ripe old age, in better health it seems than now. They ate what we ate!

We are being led down the garden path.

Enough already! Stop buying from these companies. Their attitude WILL NOT change until they see we mean business and we will put them out of business. They have lost our trust, they do not deserve a 20th chance. We have been patient!

Speak loudly with your money!

Don’t buy until they are totally truthful!

They KNOW who they get their ingredients from, don’t be fooled!

Comment by Priscilla Patterson — April 26, 2007 @ 5:02 pm

77. The worst part is, that no matter how often we check the ingredients on our pet’s food, if they’ve been changed recently, they won’t be on the bag, or the website, and even if we ask point blank, we may not get the truth

Comment by Joyce — April 26, 2007 @ 5:04 pm

78. Kim,

I just called and left a message on her voice mail. I actually gave her a couple of suggestions…so, maybe she’s OK. But, it’s a KITTEN (little, little–recently weaned). Any word on people having problems with CS? What is SAFE if they are blatantly lying to us?

Comment by Eva — April 26, 2007 @ 5:04 pm

79. This is STILL on the American Nutrition site!

AMERICAN NUTRITION AND ITS PRODUCTS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE RECENT NATIONWIDE PET FOOD RECALL! The safety of products not involved in the recall has been validated by the FDA. The FDA web site states that “Using products from companies that are not on the recall list will enable you to continue to provide safe, wholesome nutrition for your pets.” For a complete listing of those products that are included in the recall, please visit the FDA site at http://www.fda.gov. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact our customer relations department via email at feedback@amnutrition.com
    or call 1-800-257-4530 Extension 256.

Comment by Kim — April 26, 2007 @ 5:04 pm

80. Chicken Soup had better get its act together:

On their main site:

Message to Our Customers:

You may be aware there is a recall of hundreds of brands of dog and cat food. You can be assured that the Chicken Soup for the Soul pet food and pet treats are NOT part of this recall and remain a healthy choice for your pet.

Chicken Soup for the Soul pet products are made with the highest quality, all natural ingredients. Our products do not have corn, wheat, or wheat gluten fillers.

To learn more about our pet foods and pet treats, go to: http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

To find a store in your neighborhood that carries Chicken Soup for the Soul pet products, please click here: http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/dealer_locator/

Should you have any questions, feel free to contact us at: webmaster@chickensoupforthesoul.com

I have sent an e-mail to their webmaster and suggest others do too!!!

Comment by mal — April 26, 2007 @ 5:05 pm

81. so how in the heck are STORES supposed to know what to do?! this is freaking ridiculous!!!!! and why is CS say that Diamond/AN is recalling? no accountability?!

AAAAAARGH!!!! i don’t care who made the food. i want the brands to stand up and saying THEY are recalling and what they are going to do about it. it’s THEIR responsibility to KNOW what is in THEIR food!

Comment by straybaby — April 26, 2007 @ 5:05 pm

82. My daughters dogs are on the CS dry and they are fine BUT she splurged and gave them a can of wet YESTERDAY. It was adult, not puppy. . .but you can bet we will be watching them like a hawk for any symptoms.

Comment by Bonni — April 26, 2007 @ 5:05 pm

83. http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_042607NABrecalllawsuitTP.f5fcee0.html

Menu Foods is sueing ChemNutra
    Menu Foods Midwest Corp. wants ChemNutra Inc., of Las Vegas, to pay costs associated with the recall of dog and cat food and is seeking damages “substantially in excess of $75,000.”

Comment by Maureen (Lilly and Lucy's mom) — April 26, 2007 @ 5:08 pm

84. Comment by Maureen (Lilly and Lucy’s mom) — April 26, 2007 @ 5:08 pm

$75,000???

This has to be a joke.

Comment by Steve — April 26, 2007 @ 5:11 pm

85. oh, give me a !@#$%^&* break! MF is just as guilty as CN. period.

Comment by straybaby — April 26, 2007 @ 5:12 pm

86. RE:COSTCO Kirkland Signiture Premium Canned Dog Food(Lamb & Rice) recall..made by American Nutrition (probably the same stuff that is made for Diamond, just a dif label)

Per a supervisor at Costco corp the suspect ingredient is RICE FLOUR!! Which they believe MAY CONTAIN RICE PROTEIN!

He also wanted to know how i knew about it as it has not be made public yet! They are sending out letters to Costco members that they have a good address for that show a history of purchasing this. He did not know anything about the Chicken and Rice which lists the same RICE FLOUR and has the same Exp date. I asked him if it will be posted on his web site and he said once it becomes official. ??

ok now my brain is officially fried. K

Comment by Keryat — April 26, 2007 @ 5:12 pm

87. Just read up the posts here. So, let me get this straight. Wilbur-Ellis told American Nutrition, who told Diamond, who told Chicken Soup that their product might not be safe?

Comment by Eva — April 26, 2007 @ 5:14 pm

88. I wish I’d copied the bloody page at least once during my multiple visits there, but the CSFTPLS site no longer has the “we use no wheat, wheat gluten, corn gluten meal, or rice protein concentrate” proudly emblazoned across the page. The recall announcement has replaced it. Also, all prior references to the recall are gone – some on the homepage, some in FAQ. I can see from the other comments that a bunch of you noticed this, too, so I know I’m not hallucinating.

Oh, and a cached search on Google doesn’t bring up the old page – those sly Chicken Soup webmasters must have found a way around that.

The ingredients for the products are still out there, though, for now, and no mention of the ingredients they swear they don’t use.

So how does “we DON’T use this ingredient in any of our products” (ie, rice protein concentrate) turn into “well, this product MAY contain contaminated RPC, so we’re pulling it” Are they gonna tell us HOW it got in there? A little unannounced formula change? Another one of those labels-don’t-have-to-match-the contents deals? Then how can they claim they didn’t use RPC?

Or will they claim this was an “oops” on the part of American Nutrition?

Comment by cerridwen — April 26, 2007 @ 5:15 pm

89. It is offically on CS site.

Comment by marcy — April 26, 2007 @ 5:16 pm

90. Here’s a new email from FSIS/FDA about the hogs not going into the food supply:
    —————>
    FDA and USDA Determine Swine Fed Adulterated Product

USDA to Compensate for Depopulation

WASHINGTON, April 26, 2007 – The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today notified State authorities that swine fed adulterated product will not be approved to enter the food supply. Based on information currently available, FDA and USDA believe the likelihood of illness after eating such pork is very low; however, the agencies believe it is prudent to take this measure.

FDA determined that a shipment of rice protein imported from China was contaminated with melamine and melamine-related compounds. The product was imported during the week of April 2, 2007 by Wilbur-Ellis, an importer and distributor of agricultural products. The rice protein was used in the production of pet food and a byproduct was used to produce animal feed.

The contaminants in question include melamine and melamine-related compounds, including cyanuric acid, the combination of which is a potential source of concern in relation to human and animal health. Scientific research indicates that melamine alone, at detected levels, is not a human health concern. However, no scientific data exist to ascertain the effects of combining melamine and melamine-related compounds. Therefore, a determination has not yet been made regarding the safety of the product.

Because the animal feed in question was adulterated, USDA cannot rule out the possibility that food produced from animals fed this product could also be adulterated. Therefore, USDA cannot place the mark of inspection on food produced from these animals.

USDA is offering to compensate producers who euthanize swine that were fed the adulterated product. USDA is authorized to use Section 32 funds to restore farmers’ purchasing power. USDA is also offering the expertise and assistance of Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) personnel in carrying out depopulation activities, to ensure animals are euthanized and disposed of in accordance with Federal and State laws.

FDA and FSIS are coordinating with State authorities in eight states where the adulterated feed is known to have been purchased. Eight pork producers in the states of California, Kansas, North Carolina, New York, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Utah are known to have purchased the feed. These combined operations involve approximately 6,000 hogs. All of the animals are currently being held under state quarantines in CA, NC, NY and SC. In KS, OK and UT producers agreed to hold the animals until further notice. Authorities are also in contact with a feed mill in Missouri that might have received adulterated feed.

Pork and pork products derived from animals that were fed the adulterated product will also be destroyed. In CA and UT, pork from federally inspected plants is being held under FSIS direction. In SC, a state inspected plant is voluntarily holding swine that were fed the adulterated product. FSIS, FDA and state authorities are in the process of determining whether any meat from animals that were fed the adulterated product has entered commerce. If that has occurred, FSIS will work with states and industry to take the appropriate action.

FDA and FSIS are continuing the effort to trace the adulterated feed. If additional producers are identified who fed the adulterated product to animals, they will also be offered compensation by USDA for depopulation and disposal.

###

**************************************
    Veronica Castro
    Office of Public Affairs
    FDA

Comment by Kat — April 26, 2007 @ 5:18 pm

91. When I checked earlier the notice was not up. That’s why I called. At least their phone message was updated. It’s the lag time between recall and web changes.

Comment by Issy — April 26, 2007 @ 5:21 pm

92. OK, they’re going to be “destroyed” (poor thangs!) — THEN WHAT?? Out to the rendering plants & into the dog food????

Comment by Kat — April 26, 2007 @ 5:21 pm

93. We had a heads-up on the Costco/Kirkland recall Sun. night. The spouse of a Costco employee said they were pulling product off the shelf — so, they’ve known & haven’t gone public for FOUR DAYS???? at minimum.

Comment by Kat — April 26, 2007 @ 5:23 pm

94. FROM AN ITCHMO BLOGGER – IMPORTANT:
    rescue mom Says:

April 26th, 2007 at 8:18 pm
    Just got a call from a pet store employee and they have been instructed to remove all canned Natural Balance from their shelves. This happened within the last hour. Can anyone verify and additional NB recall?

Comment by Jenny — April 26, 2007 @ 5:24 pm

95. If what kerykat says is true – Natural Balance products include BROWN RICE FLOUR!

Comment by Jenny — April 26, 2007 @ 5:24 pm

96. Menu is not suing for 75,000. They have to have a claim of $75,000 or more to get “diversity jurisdiction” to get into federal court.

Comment by Christi Alcox — April 26, 2007 @ 5:25 pm

97. “$75,000???

This has to be a joke.

Comment by Steve — April 26, 2007 @ 5:11 pm”

Oh, no, Steve. They are quite serious. It’s for the 16 or 17 dogs that died in their tests.

Comment by Nadine Long — April 26, 2007 @ 5:27 pm

98. I saw this statement in the Houston Chronicle AP article linked on Itchmo’s Thursday recall thread: “Investigators are looking into feed that may have come from pet food plants that could have received rice protein concentrate and corn gluten from China that was contaminated with the chemical melamine.” Notice the reference to CORN GLUTEN? I am curious as to whether this was a mistake or whether the reporter has information from the investigators that contaminated corn gluten is also in the US. That was the ingredient in the Royal Canin food that killed the pets in South Africa.

Comment by Pam — April 26, 2007 @ 5:27 pm

99. BREAKING NEWS – NATURAL BALANCE RECALL

Comment by Jenny — April 26, 2007 @ 5:28 pm

100. Our canned manufacturer, American Nutrition, from Ogden Utah just informed us that they are recalling all canned products made in their plant that contain rice protein concentrate. American Nutrition continued by telling us that they added this ingredient to four of our canned products without informing us. The four products involved are:

Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Beef Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Ocean Fish Formula Canned Cat Food 3 oz & 6 oz

Comment by Issy — April 26, 2007 @ 5:29 pm

101. That could be why there are so many class action suits.

Comment by Kat — April 26, 2007 @ 5:29 pm

102. Closing eyes…going to my “happy place”.

Comment by Eva — April 26, 2007 @ 5:32 pm

103. My 5:29 comment is all Natural Balance

Comment by Issy — April 26, 2007 @ 5:33 pm

104. Looks like 3 recalls since the FDA press conference this afternoon. Glad they are on top of the issues!!!!!!!!

Comment by mal — April 26, 2007 @ 5:35 pm

105. Never mind about my class action post. I didn’t see what you all were referring to about ChemNutra law suit. I didn’t look far enough up the string. I’ll go back to sleep.

Comment by Kat — April 26, 2007 @ 5:35 pm

106. Rozman v. Menu Foods Midwest Corporation et al

Comment by Steve — April 26, 2007 @ 5:41 pm

107. So where does that leave everyone? Now this manufacturer American Nutrition, from Ogden Utah just adds ingredients without telling Natural Balance or indeed Natural Balance does know it has Rice Protein Concentrate in it and has decided not to add it to the ingredient list or as someone said a few days ago companies don’t have to list ingredients that are a very low %. I tried a can of the duck Natural Balance for my dogs, right after the first round of recalls. Thank God they hated it or I might have gone on to try the chicken.

Comment by Maureen (Lilly and Lucy's mom) — April 26, 2007 @ 5:48 pm

108. This is insane.
    Natural Balance now says American Nutrition added the tainted ingredient without informing them they were doing so ?!?!?
    Is this common practice?
    Now I am wondering if American Nutrition added the ingredient to everything they manufacture including the Blue Buffalo.
    I give up…..
    ~starr

Comment by starrvox — April 26, 2007 @ 6:02 pm

109. Here’s the truth, finally. How can we know that the brands even know what the manufacturers put in their food? The following statement from Natural Balance in their press release tonight says to me that pet food labeling is like fiction. The brands don’t even know what ingredients their manufacturers are using!

“(American Nutrition says they) are recalling all canned products made in their plant that contain rice protein concentrate. American Nutrition continued by telling us that THEY ADDED THIS INGREDIENT TO FOUR OF OUR CANNED FOOD PRODUCTS WITHOUT OUR KNOWLEDGE AND CONSENT.”

Comment by Maureen — April 26, 2007 @ 6:07 pm

110. Well, I got these off the Chicken Soup and Diamond sites about a half hour ago. Haven’t looked to see if anything’s changed:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Puppy Formula

Ingredients
    Chicken, chicken liver, turkey, chicken broth, duck, salmon, whole grain brown rice, white rice, oatmeal, carrots, peas, potatoes, barley, egg product, guar gum, flaxseed meal, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, carrageenan gum, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, ascorbic acid, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate and sodium selenite.

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Kitten Formula

Ingredients

Diamond
    Lamb & Rice Formula for Dogs

Ingredients
    Lamb, lamb broth, lamb liver, rice flour, dried egg product, fish meal, dried beet pulp, lamb meal, vitamins and minerals.

Comment by Pat — April 26, 2007 @ 6:10 pm

111. For people food (who knows whatelse they DON’T DO FOR PET FOOD) there is a declining ingredient list. They were made to change that years ago. So, even a tsp of something should have been listed. I think the big manufacturers are just swindlers. Sell you a diamond & it’s really a cubic zirconia….

Comment by Kat — April 26, 2007 @ 6:10 pm

112. I think they are just trying to up the total protein of the foods by adding the rice protein concentrate much the same way as China up’ed the gluten’s protein (and the rice protein)with the melmine.
    No more ethics than the companies they imported from.

Comment by Maureen (Lilly and Lucy's mom) — April 26, 2007 @ 6:24 pm

113. I’m reading the few 3 oz cans of Wellness I still have with a magnifying glass – again. There’s no rice this or that, no rice flour, I keep looking and looking. No rice. Then the lines of of vitamin additives hit me in the eye. Could this rice product be in the supplements?????

Comment by Sharon G — April 26, 2007 @ 6:38 pm

114. Purina has recently updated its Recall FAQ sheet to address some of the more recent concerns; no added recalls are mentioned for this company. While they could still be more forthcoming, it would appear that they are finally understanding that people really would rather they used *no* ingredients sourced from Asia in any fashion, judging by the tone they use in this update. It doesn’t mean that they will substantially change their practices yet, but perhaps they will see their way clear to doing it if sales drop off far enough.

Unfortunately, I am in the postion of having to hope that they never do have to perform any further recalls as I have tried everything possible to get my little girl to switch from Purina foods to other foods to no avail :( So far, so good, but the watching and waiting goes on.

Silverstone

Comment by Kay Hammil — April 26, 2007 @ 6:41 pm

115. Here’s a frightning thought, what if whatever is wrong with the pet food isn’t in the wheat, corn, soy, rice , etc, ect – but in the “meat” itself? Now pushed over the edge = definately home prepared of some type.

Comment by elliott — April 26, 2007 @ 6:43 pm

116. American Nutrition will have a press release out and their website updated by tomorrow. (Talked to them a little while ago.)

The woman I spoke with cared a *lot*, and based on what she told me I’m taking what Natural Balance said with more than a grain of salt, especially given Natural Balance’s recent history of flat out lying (to Therese of thepetfoodlist.com, and to others.)

Comment by Kim — April 26, 2007 @ 6:55 pm

117. that’s funny coming from Purina. They won’t say how much they plan to export from their China plant using local resources . . .

Comment by straybaby — April 26, 2007 @ 7:02 pm

118. maureen re wellness testing info i have been calling wellness the last few days trying to get info on where their rice protien comes from after seeing it posted on line as an igredient in some of their foods and their wellness bars which i give to my 11 year old dog! they told me they started using rice protien in fall of 2006 i never noticed the ingredient change!they told me their company is not allowing them to give the source of their rice protien out to custumors! then after a minute or two they said all i can tell you is it is from somewhere in asia! the next person i spoke to there told me their products are being tested this week she only metioned an allergy food and the wellness bars she would not tell me who was testing them

Comment by linda k — April 26, 2007 @ 7:20 pm

119. cerridwen,
    “I wish I’d copied the bloody page at least once during my multiple visits there, but the CSFTPLS site no longer has the “we use no wheat, wheat gluten, corn gluten meal, or rice protein concentrate” proudly emblazoned across the page.”

I DID print out all of the pet foods I had been feeding recently. You are correct. CSFLPLS DID have on their site “Wheat, Wheat Gluten or Rice Protein Concentrate is NOT used in any of our dry, canned or treat products”!!!
    Last Thursday someone here suggested that we keep copies of these foods. That is when I decided to print all these out. I have a stack with CSFTPLS, Hill’s SD, Pedigree, Natural Balance, Solid Gold, & Canidae. The only one I’m still feeding is the Canidae dry. I have switched my tiny dogs to a raw diet consisting of The Honest Kitchen, Aunt Jeni’s, & Primal. I made a choice to not buy anything made by Menu Foods, Diamond, or American Nutrition about 2 weeks ago. So far I feel as safe as possible feeding Canidae. Although, they said their food was not made by MF or Diamond, they would NOT tell me the plant it was made at, but did say it was made in Texas. My son is still feeding Royal Canine, but it is not one of the recalled ones. Personally, I wish he would switch, but I can’t convince him yet. Canidae also says on their website and by phone that they don’t use any glutens or proteins at all. At this point I am trusting them because as far as I know they have never had a recall of any sort. I hope and pray they are telling me the truth. After what Natural Balance did (lying to all of us and me directly by phone) I will NEVER trust them again!!! If any one knows anything more about CANIDAE please, please let me know. For I too, am seriously at the end of my rope and just want to scream!!!!!

Comment by FMtz — April 26, 2007 @ 7:48 pm

120. Anybody up for a criminal investigation?
    My little Anna May had loose stools after eating her lunch today and has now vomited all over me after eating her dinner. And guess what, her cans are not on the list. Her old cans that I bought when the recall began were okay but this is her new batch of cans. She’s been eating Natural Balance Eatables, $3.00 a can, in 4 flavors. This new can is Irish Stew.
    So Joey Herrick is an innocent victim here? Was he also a victim of high-jacked web site when he made out they had their own USDA approved plant? He lied to me just moments before the last press release when he denied their was melamine in his products after I questioned him about the Texas man who said Joey just called and told him there was melamine in the food. He never answered my email on the 16th when I pressed him about the other ingredients like vitamins, minerals and supplements and where they came from. The ingredients in this can is: Beef, Potatoes, Water, Carrots, Tomatoes, Beef Fat, and MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, the rest are vitamins and minerals.
    Question: What’s in the modified food starch – I know what it is – but what’s in it? And where does it come from? No point in asking Joey, how would he know, he doesn’t even know what’s going on, He’s just another innocent victim. THAT’S TOTALLY *&%$#@(&*^%R#E CLUELESS. Who’s minding the store. What do these people do all day that they have no idea what’s going on?
    J-O-E-Y, do yourself a favor – fire yourself.
    When I calm down, I have a game plan. Actually, a few.

Comment by Kathi — April 26, 2007 @ 8:57 pm

121. NB has a press release on their website with a list. http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com
    Beans my cat has the salmon can. She hasn’t been eating all of it lately. Hers is also a newer batch. No vomiting, yet. I’m so upset my fingers are tingling. I called my friends to tell them. I’ll call the stores in the morning.
    I’ve never actually been afraid of anything in my life before. Never. I guess this is fear, I feel numb.

Comment by Kathi — April 26, 2007 @ 9:09 pm

122. kathi,

what size is the 3.00 Eatables?

you’d do better home preparing if you can. i try and keep my home prepared 1-2.00 a pound. say average is 1.50lb, my cats eat 1.25 total and my dog eats 1lb. so i’m paying about 3.25-4.00 per day (including supplements) for 6 animals. if i could get into a raw feeding co-op, the price would go down a bit.

Comment by straybaby — April 26, 2007 @ 9:46 pm

123. straybaby, Hi
    it’s 15 oz.
    I’m done with NB forever.

Comment by Kathi — April 26, 2007 @ 9:49 pm

124. This will be a rant and I apologize, but my head is about to explode and I can’t sleep. I have one dog who has been fighting for his life (and doing well so far) since March 10th from this fricking fiasco. $5040 and counting later, he’s alive, on subq fluids every other day at home. Today his creatinine was up again and we have to do another ultrasound Tuesday. My foster dog had teeth pulled today and needed canned food or softened dry. I’ve spent HOURS reading here, reading ingredients, labels, etc and THOUGHT NB might be safe since NONE of the CONTAMINATED crap ingredients were listed on the label. So… I’ve been re-poisoning my Menu survivor (guess that’s why his labs aren’t improving!) and now possibly have poisoned my big sweet foster dog as well. Hell to pay if he gets sick… or my twelve cats who’ve also had NB canned. This feels like Groundhog’s Day…over and over. Feeding my pets should not feel like walking through a minefield!

Comment by StraysWelcome — April 26, 2007 @ 9:52 pm

125. I’m going to get a blender. I’ve seen a few interesting and simple recipes.
    Lori Anderson has one on here somewhere tonight. I also saw some simple stews. I’m thinking of using glass jars, mason jars to store in after the plastic freezer containers thaw out. That way they don’t sit in plastic for two days.
    I was thinking of baking a meat treat using oats and grinding into a flour mixture with a little molasses. just enough to hold together and freezing puppy meatballs to thaw for a little treat.

Comment by Kathi — April 26, 2007 @ 9:57 pm

126. This has got to be the saddest situation I have witnessed in this country, outside of September 11 and similar events.

I don’t handle sad animal stories well, and never have. Therefore I find myself skipping over a lot.

That said, there are moments when you have to smirk because this has gone from a Menu Foods recall to a really bad fiction novel.

“after I questioned him about the Texas man who said Joey just called and told him there was melamine in the food.”

This line from Kathi’s post is perfect…the mysterious Texas man, a phone call from Joey, melamine in the food.

What started as a faceless issue in big business is now a first-name basis saga whose ending has yet to be written.

Comment by Carole — April 26, 2007 @ 10:01 pm

127. For years we have been brainwashed by these cute pet commercials. I’ve found a way for me to detach from them. MURDERERS

Comment by Kathi — April 26, 2007 @ 10:04 pm

128. And BTW, I no longer think ‘recall’ is an appropriate descriptor anymore.

It stopped being a recall as soon as it was determined that contaminated crap was imported from China.

Throw in questionable securities trading, contaminated rice protein, ongoing lab tests, falsified origin documents, unreliable supplier chains, shortage of home grown commodities, VISA problems, lack of global regulation, import alerts, senate hearings, problems in South Africa, incompetent manufacturers, unexplained illness…

Throw in a few good looking women, a couple of spies, a hot car and you’ve got the next James Bond movie.

Comment by Carole — April 26, 2007 @ 10:14 pm

129. I was browsing over the press releases and the replies to emails. Notice how they all sound the same? There’s almost a rythym to them. So precise and lulling.
    This is not overwith. There are still more recalls to come. I’m sure the other flavors both cans and bags will also be added soon. Especially the one’s on sale. Almost like clockwork.

Comment by Kathi — April 26, 2007 @ 10:15 pm

130. StraysW,

I’m SO sorry you are going through this. got lots of paws (5 cats/1 dog & ME!) crossed and sending healing thoughts for your Menu survivor.

Comment by straybaby — April 26, 2007 @ 10:31 pm

131. I’ve always scoffed at conspiracy theories. And I don’t think this is a qualified conspiracy either. But I do believe there are those who conspire to deceive. The entire industry has been deceptive and secretive.
    Not to mention the lack of honesty and integrity. I can forgive an honest person who makes a mistake and admits it. But I don’t recall anyone admitting any wrongdoing. They’re all just hapless victim’s.
    Each one just points a finger at the other one. I expect that from four and five year olds.
    Strayswelcome got it right “Groundhog Day”

Comment by Kathi — April 26, 2007 @ 10:39 pm

132. ..or the Twighlight Zone..

Comment by Kat — April 26, 2007 @ 10:55 pm

133. Twilight Zone…

Comment by Kat — April 26, 2007 @ 10:55 pm

134. Peter Atkins, founder and owner of Natura: Innova, Evo and that California something or other made an interesting statement on his website. He said he is determined to acquire or build from scratch a plant just for them. He said he already has approval from the board of directors and promises to use only US ingredients. He does this and he will be light years ahead of the pack. I guess I’ll give him credit for foreward thinking. Probably wouldn’t hurt him to open up his site to a customer suggestion forum where we could say what we really desire in pet food.
    I’m not ready to buy yet, but I might send some emails asking how serious and committed he is to actually pleasing his customers.

Comment by Kathi — April 26, 2007 @ 10:57 pm

135. I haven’t had a good night’s sleep since…..I don’t remember now.
    Yeah it’s Twilight Zone….

Comment by Kathi — April 26, 2007 @ 11:07 pm

136. “wondering if American Nutrition added the ingredient to everything they manufacture including the Blue Buffalo.”
    —-
    Isn’t it ironic how WE know whats coming down hours before it happens?

The FDA is hopeless. No wonder we feel as if we aren’t protected.

Comment by starrvox — April 27, 2007 @ 8:53 am

137. There have been insinuations that the company was trying to hide the recall from the FDA.

Weeks ago, I emailed the FDA webmaster & asked WHERE is the recall listed on their site… Of course, no response! :(

Comment by Kat — May 14, 2007 @ 1:21 pm