Pet food recall: Vet poison control center suspects other toxins involved

March 27, 2007

• If you’re new to the site, please check out our general information page.

Some news – and a caution – from the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, which has seen a huge increase in call volume since the Menu pet food recall was announced. The ASPCA’s veterinary toxicologists “have been carefully analyzing data from these calls,” and are drawing some troubling conclusions:

Today the ASPCA reports that, based on these data, clinical signs reported in cats affected by the contaminated foods are not fully consistent with the ingestion of rat poison containing aminopterin that, according to Menu Foods, is at the “root” of the contamination issue.

“We’ve seen reports coming in from all around the country that animals that were eating the contaminated foods are definitely suffering from renal failure,” said Dr. Steven Hansen, veterinary toxicologist and senior vice president with the ASPCA, who manages the ASPCA’s Midwest Office, including the APCC. “But the data that we’ve been collecting do not conclusively prove this connection, which is why we strongly recommend that those involved in the investigation continue to search for additional contaminants.”

The full release is here.
Reminding you:

Go to the latest blog post | Go to the PetConnection home page

Technorati Tags: , , ,,

Filed under: pets, connected,recalls,veterinary medicine — Christie Keith @ 4:41 pm

1. Without a doubt. This thing is out of control.

Comment by Steve — March 27, 2007 @ 4:48 pm

2. Thank you to the ASPCA for speaking out and for making sense. Finally.

Comment by jm — March 27, 2007 @ 5:00 pm

3. Now what are we to do. On the animaltalknaturally site, and someone else posted it here, they spoke of this article “Tip of the Iceberg” from March 22, and the author and vet mentioned that it could be a combination of things, including genetically altered wheat, and gluten intolerance and the rat poison and others?????

Why is it so difficult to discover the problem – ummm……

Comment by Linda — March 27, 2007 @ 5:06 pm

4. Despite the “brand” or any past reputation of a premium product/ company, do you know “who” is really making it now?

Comment by Steve — March 27, 2007 @ 5:17 pm

5. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, this is some sort of bioterrorism attack.

Comment by GordonH — March 27, 2007 @ 5:32 pm

6. I’m not surprised. I expected this. We had this information last Friday, and it was posted here somewhere. (No clue where I posted it though.)

But. How can they not have ANY more information than this to give us?

I’m with Linda – WHY is it so difficult to discover the problem? People all over North America are working on this – where are the results?

Comment by Kim — March 27, 2007 @ 5:34 pm

7. You know Gordon, that’s about the only thing that would explain why the lid was clamped down so tightly on this.

Comment by Kim — March 27, 2007 @ 5:34 pm

8. Quite a feeling when every fuse in your nervous system is blowing wondering if ANY pet food in the United States is safe for your companion right now isn’t it?

Comment by Steve — March 27, 2007 @ 5:35 pm

9. “Every fuse in your nervous system blowing”.

That is exactly how I’m feeling. I’ve had a horrible migraine since last night, and when my cat got out of my yard earlier the whole neighborhood heard me screaming her name at the top of my lungs. Total panic.

Just waaaaay too much anxiety. And Hatred.

That’s the one downside of what we’re doing here. We know more, so we know just how scared we should be. And we also know what we don’t know, and the more they hide the more scary it is.

Comment by Kim — March 27, 2007 @ 5:38 pm

10. Do not reccomend DRY FOOD. Please don’t do it! Dr. Becker, you have good intensions but your 180º out of whack. You see, I believe that the dry food problems have been with us for years, they are being magnified now because of the newer wet food problems…in a big way. In the past your dog got sick and you didn’t go on the net to see who elses dog or cat died, no, you just buried them. Now we have the resources to compile and assimilate a great deal more information in a short time. With these tools we have the world and all of it’s good and bad at our fingertips. I have been in touch with people in all over this great country and Great Britan, Mexico, Newfoundland and South Africa all since the death of my dear Abby Gayle. I have found that pets are in serious trouble every where and no one wants to admit it. The news papers give us the back page, the syndicated columnist under state the crisis, the vets are getting wealthy. Hell, they sell to us what is killing our pets and then charge enormous sums for treatment. The pet food manufactures make their quick bags of change and the pet owners foot the bill.
    This is just the opinion of a person who has lost something very dear and knows it will be impossible to replace. Any money we recieve should be used as Mary stated earlier, get your pet at the S.P.C.A. or Animal Shelter, maybe then, if we all did this, it could put animals in our homes instead of in our pets food.
    They killed our Dog! Our Dear Abby Gayle Died last night at 10:05 pm with my wife, sons and daughter at her side. Almost 4 years old, purbred Airedale Terrier, picture perfect health record, She died of acute kidney failure due to eating tainted, contamiated, IAMS Dry, Green Bag, purchased from Walmart. Dead before we could do anything because we were notified to late and as for the dry food no notification at all. Please people, listen, do not feed your dog any products from these recalled manufactures, wet or dry. Do you trust them, they have been hiding this for months possibly years. They have had this problem for 2 years and have still not trully fiqured out why. Please don’t feed your pets poison DRY FOOD! It may have anti freeze components in it. http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Jan06/dogs.dying.ssl.html

I know I’m going to ruffle some feathers, bring it on.

keen for Abby Gayle (keen@mac.com)

Comment by MikeKeen — March 27, 2007 @ 5:53 pm

11. and the more they hide the more scary it is.
    Comment by Kim

And what concerns me more is if people don’t keep the pressure on them they will just go right back to business as usual and the FDA will just turn their attention to the next crisis whatever that may be as one crisis after another just piles up as unfinished business.

This government is in serious need of an overhaul. And media consolidation hasn’t helped any.

Comment by Steve — March 27, 2007 @ 5:55 pm

12. I agree Keen, our cat died two weeks ago and he was eating 9 lives canned food. He died after suffering the exact same symptoms only it took a month and a half to kill him. He was healthy then got sick, and sicker and sicker. I changed his food to people food and he got better for a couple weeks then stupid me, I gave him the canned food again….well he died. In my arms after a massive seizure….
    I have posted this all over the net hoping to find anyone else who’s cat got sick on 9 lives food but I think that they may not make the connections yet.
    Oh, I am still waiting for the FDA to call back after being told on Friday they would call back that same day…Yeah sure they will!
    I am just as mad as everyone who lost a dear furkid. Mine was only 7 yrs old. I can only pray they dig deeper than Menu foods canned and foil packed foods. I will never feed commercial pet food again. Our dog is eating a species appropriate diet now. Raw Meaty bones and organ meats….and doing just fine on them. I heartily suggest that others do the same. You can read up on how to do it at http://www.rawmeatybones.com…they have to full length books online that you can download and read for free.
    My sympathies for all those suffering.

Comment by Lil Bear's Momma — March 27, 2007 @ 6:18 pm

13. I just made 2 phone calls. One to Petsmart to get my purchase records and one to Menu Income Group.

Petsmart was very considerate and helpful. In fact the guy who took my call had his own cat fall ill to this tainted food. Kudos to Petsmart on stepping up to the plate during this awful time.

The menu food one couldn’t be more different. I got the number from their website for information regarding the recall. Someone answered right away and put me on hold. I was treated to an instrumental version of “Stand By Me” Then the most disinterested “Menu foods may I help you?”
    “Yes, I’m calling about the food recall” Long pause. “Hello?” then nothing but a click and a busy signal. Just surreal.

In loving memory: K.C. April 1989- Feb 11, 2007

Comment by Bonnie — March 27, 2007 @ 6:24 pm

14. A horrifying thought. Just how secure is the nations water and food supplies? If the grain supply is so open to contamination and those involved don’t even run one test to see if it’s OK before using it, what is to prevent the whole human supply from, I’ll say it…terrorism? I’m sure the terrorists have noticed what’s happening already.

A larger attack on the human food supply and this country will be in a mess that will make 911 look like a kid’s prank.

This is aimed at DHS. This is a national security issue, where is Chertoff and his crew? looking in old ladies purses at the airport? sorry, I’m really angered at the failings of this bunch that’s using up trillions of dollars into nowhere except their own pockets.

Comment by Gary — March 27, 2007 @ 6:41 pm

15. Part of the problem:

Pion, a California veterinarian, said only 10 percent to 20 percent of the people who belong to his Web site (VIN) had responded to a request for information.

“If we’re only getting 10 percent of the veterinarians, you can do the math,” he said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has said the investigation was focused on the ingredient wheat gluten.
    Testing has not been easy.
    Wheat gluten has “been a real difficult sample to work with,” said Daniel Rice, director of the New York food lab. “It’s real sticky, gummy. If you can imagine wet flour and you’re trying to get that into solution and put that into an instrument.”

The other part of the problem:
    “If people can demonstrate that the food that was recalled led to a sick pet or the loss of a pet and they incurred expenses, Menu will take responsibility,” Bornstein said.

“They need to call our 1-800 number and they will be able to make arrangements to send the information they gathered.”

Many of the pet owners logging on to the websites expressed frustration with the toll-free number, saying they had given their information several times but heard nothing.

Bornstein pleaded for patience and insisted they would be contacted. He said information gathered through the toll-free number is how the company plans to discover more possible confirmed deaths and illnesses.

On Friday, Menu Foods CEO Paul Henderson said the number had logged 200,000 calls since the recall began.

Menu Foods Income Trust units closed down 20 cents Tuesday at $4.10 on the Toronto Stock Exchange, a decline of 4.65 per cent.

Comment by Cathy — March 27, 2007 @ 6:50 pm

16. The recent news releases of the Menu Foods pet food recall have provided many emotion filled storied from pet owners all over North America. As a pet owner my heart strings have been twisted as well. However this is much more to the story.

This whole story with Menu Foods is merely blowing the cover off the multi billion dollar pet food industry. I was well aware previously of the cruel animal testing done by several BIG name pet food companies through Menu Foods and independant labs..but that is another story.

The rendering of dead, diseased, downed and euthanized animals of all types, including cats and dogs, to be used in pet food and animal feed is VERY SCARY. Not only are our pets being exposed to biological and chemical poisoning, so are we. The animal feed is made of the same type of rendering that pert food is. And this is fed to cattle, pigs and chicken…that we end up eating. There are many articles written on the question of Mad Cow Disease being spread through contaminated animal feed product which come from the various rendering plants.

I really don’t want to become a vegetarian..I enjoy my steaks far too much, but after doing much reading on the implications of the whole issue I must admit I am scared. The information out there gives rooom for thought whether the increases in cancer, heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease etc. may have a basis in something as simple as our foods..and not necessarily the “bad” foods. I think it is time for people to open their eyes and demand proper monitoring of all types of food products…from pet food to animal feed to “human consumption” food. This is the time to demand that health needs be made more important than chasing the $$$ sign.

Here are a few links to articles on rendering:

There are many, many more. All you have to do is Google “rendering”

Comment by Mal — March 27, 2007 @ 6:51 pm

17. Washington State University
    College of Veterinary Medicine

From ADVICE TO VETERINARIANS:

Veterinarians should be cautious and exercise due diligence with patients that arrive with their owners during this incident.

Some owners may indeed have animals that are legitimately affected

Some owners may have concerns that are not substantiated by clinical examination alone, but precautionary medicine and client advisement are essential.

Incidents like this often bring out clients with patients that had pre-existing illness or coincidental newly developed illness that was unrecognized before awareness of similar signs and symptoms were broadcast as part of the recall.

Veterinarians should also be cautious of individuals who may see this as an opportunity to capitalize on what may become class action litigation. There have been instances in which individuals faked symptoms or may have intentionally fed an animal substances that could mimic or duplicate the signs and symptoms of legitimately affected animals. This is unlikely but has occurred in both humans and animals with recalled substances. A complete and accurate diagnosis, treatment that meets or exceeds accepted standards of care, and proficient record-keeping as most of you already practice, are essential.

Finally, consider spending a moment and educating concerned clients about the realities of product recalls alleged to be contaminated and the difficulties of establishing cause and effect. Currently, there is an extremely large number of pet rations for dogs and cats being voluntarily recalled. A cause for the illnesses seen may—or may not—be determined now or in the future as it relates to these rations. One must also consider the possibility that the illnesses seen, without additional diagnostic evidence, may have occurred in a population of that size normally, and independent of any alleged ration contamination. This is in no way meant to minimize legitimate animal health concerns or to diminish the severity of a problem that is not fully developed yet.

Comment by Dee — March 27, 2007 @ 6:52 pm

18. There is so much more to this story then what is being reported by Menu Foods. They should just step up and tell the truth.

Comment by Matt — March 27, 2007 @ 7:12 pm

19. my GOD SOMETHING very bad going on,yes i agree DHS needs to check into this. i throught of the same thing as gordon h.

Comment by anna — March 27, 2007 @ 7:35 pm

20. Sorry for you loss of pet. And not be able to really know why they died. My pet dog 6yrs old died on March 11,2007 before I even knew of the recall. She ate only IAM’s dry food and IAM’s bone dogs. She died so sudden and went downhill so fast. She also had kidney and liver failure. So at this point I don’t trust what any one says. The bottom line is that my beloved pet is gone.

Comment by Ruth — March 27, 2007 @ 6:56 pm

21. My parents are still feeding their pug Iams dry. I’ve been trying to get them to change, but the news says there’s nothing wrong with the dry food. I don’t know what the problem is… I’ve told them various times to switch. I’m even in the process of switching my 2 dogs from Innova Evo to Solid Gold. I just hope nothing happens to Rosie. Maybe I’ll bring them a bag of SG tomorrow.

Comment by Ginger — March 27, 2007 @ 8:04 pm

22. Hi, all. My husband and I just got finished shooting a segment for Fox News 4 in Dallas about our dog, Freedom, who nearly died from the poison Menu Foods calls pet food. My vet, Dr. Mitchell, was also there to back us up. I gave Jason Overstreet, the reporter, a timeline for Freedom’s illness and stapled a pet connection quote of the 2000 deaths along with the website address to the back of it!:) Both he and his camera man are huge dog lovers and made the whole thing easy. It’s going to air tomorrow night at nine but he said he’d call if there were any changes. I’ll let you know if it airs. To all those whose pets are still suffering or have died…This one’s for you!

Comment by Ann Jackson — March 27, 2007 @ 8:06 pm

23. Regarding animal rendering – there were so many cows dying from the heat in California last summer, that the rendering plants had to stop taking them. Think of all the bacteria-laden dead carcasses rotting away in the heat waiting to be made into pet food…..who is in charge of monitoring if it is fit for consumption?

Comment by Melinda — March 27, 2007 @ 8:08 pm

24. I have suspected that there may be a link to ge wheat with this contamination. Suspicion is now on Archer Daniels Midland as the supplier of the wheat gluten. This is because the other two major suppliers have openly denied a connection while ADM has refused to comment.

The following is quite disturbing and shows a pattern of ADM purposely poisoning animal feed.

“Whitacre advised that ADM has illegally disposed of genetic organisms by adding the organisms to corn glutten (sic) feed. The organisms are in liquid form and are sprayed on the corn glutten feed rather than disposed of as required by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The liquid spray also added weight to the feed. Whitacre advised that Jerry Weigel and Jim Randall oversee this activity.” Weigel was ADM’s head nutritionist at ADM Biochem and Randall was the corporate president and overseer of plant process and operations.

“The creed of greed of the Andreas crime family,” Hoech charged, “found it more economical to export the poisonous waste rather than build a treatment facility.”

In a subsequent lawsuit, filed by a Missouri farmer Rodger Moberly and several other Missouri cattlemen, the focus was on a substance known as free gossypol, which is derived from crushing cottonseed and used in ADM’s animal feed known as 39% Protein Quanah Special. As Nicholas E. Hollis, president of the Agribusiness Council (ABC) explains, “free gossypol can be toxic to calves and even larger cattle if ingested in sufficient qualities. Often gossypol sickens an animal, slowing down its ability to gain weight.”

The plaintiffs’ claims were enhanced by an affidavit from Whitacre, ADM’s former head of its BioProducts Division, who stated that ADM knew about free gossypol’s effects and intentionally sold it to enhance profits. The affidavit also repeated the charge concerning ADM’s spraying biomass residues on its corn gluten feed.

Oklahoma State University toxicologist Dr. Sandra Morgan has noted concern for gossypol as a potential sterility agent in an article which also states “there is concern for the effects of gossypol on humans because gossypol is a biologically active compound and because gossypol in the food chain may ultimately lead to its consumption by humans.”

“If we are to regain confidence in the overwhelming majority of our food companies and their honest suppliers,” Hollis adds, “isn’t it time we stop ignoring the lessons of Moberly v. ADM and get the truth out about the Supermarkup to the World?”

A.V. Krebs operates the Corporate Agribusiness Research Project, P.O. Box 2201, Everett, WA 98203-0201, email avkrebs@earthlink.net; http://www.ea1.com/CARP.
    [link to http://www.populist.com

Comment by Angela Flynn — March 27, 2007 @ 8:13 pm

25. PLEASE EVEYONE WHO LOST A PET OR HAS A SICK PET PLEASE STATE WHAT FOOD YOUR PET WAS ON.IF DRY FOOD IS ALSO BAD WHAT THE HELL DO WE FEED OUR PETS?????

Comment by MILLI — March 27, 2007 @ 8:23 pm

26. I believe this problem has gone on alot longer than the recent pet food recall. Our family lost our first cat Lil’Bit in November of 2006. He first had symptoms of frequent thirst, frequent urination, no energy, vomiting, and loss of appetite in July of 2006. We took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with acute renal failure. Since he was a stray that we took in as a kitten and did not know his genetic history, we felt this was just how it was meant to be. He was five years old in November when he died. Up until that point, he had no health problems and was up to date on all his shots and vet visits. We fed him Special Kitty and Iams foil pouch packets purchased from WalMart and the H.E.B. grocery chain. March 21, 2007, we had to put down our second cat, Lego. She was only 1 1/2 years old and the absolute love on my boys’ lives. She began exhibiting the same symptoms as Lil’Bit on Monday, March 5, 2007 and I switched her food from Iams to Special Kitty foil pouch packets thinking she was just being picky. Her health went so fast and the vet said that her renal tests showed 130 when a normal count is 30. We had no choice but to put her down – due to acute renal failure. Again, she was up to date on her shots and vet visits. I cannot express in words how guilty I feel for feeding both our cats meals manufactured by Menu Foods. I promised my boys’ that Menu Foods will know that they were responsible for killing not one but two of our familiy members. My vet is sending Lego and samples of her food to Iowa State University for testing and documentation. Hopefully, information learned from Lego will help nail this company for what they have allowed to happen to not only our pets but everybody elses as well.

Comment by Cindy — March 27, 2007 @ 8:47 pm

27. Ann, I’m in Dallas too- can’t wait to hear you!! Thanks!! I’ve lost 1 cat and have another still under vet care!!!

Comment by Sandi Schreiber — March 27, 2007 @ 9:02 pm

28. The Waiting Game

Comment by Steve — March 27, 2007 @ 9:19 pm

29. I recommend ABADY brand food, out of New York. Made for carnivores, no fillers, no artificial preservatives, etc. You can have it shipped directly to your house by UPS.

Comment by Sarah — March 27, 2007 @ 9:39 pm

30. NUTRO DRY DOG FOOD RECALL

My dad sent this to me from a friend of his after I e-mailed him about what happened to my cat (I strongly suspect my cat died of renal failure from eating dry Nutro Natural Choice cat food). This isn’t “official” (yet?), but if what his friend says is for real, those of us who suspect dry food aren’t going to be surprised. Ginger – tell your folks to get that pug off dry Iams! :)

E-mail as follows:
    “Please forward — I don’t have everyone else’s addresses at home — I called Nutro after the emails I got b/c my dogs are vomiting yellow bile too – they confirmed they are about to do an official recall on dry food. They said to quit feeding it to them immediately and go buy something not distributed by Nutro or Menu Foods. Nutro’s # is 800-833-5330.”

Comment by Andrea — March 27, 2007 @ 9:42 pm

31. The simple fact is that there is no such thing as a tri-corder, you don’t put goo into one end of a computer and get chemical names out the other in seconds, and DNA profiles come back in 20 minutes on TV because it is in the script.

Some tests take days to complete, some hours, some weeks. Now understand that nobody knows exactly what they are looking for. Since nobody knows what the molecule looks like they have to figure that out from virtually nothing. Some tests, particularly the faster ones, tend to give you vast groups of possible substances, and you have to conduct enough tests to get a clear answer. You don’t want to treat the wrong thing because that may do more harm.

Also consider that if there is more than one contaminating substance, and there almost never is (at least not in toxic quantities), then you will undoubtedly find the most abundant one first. If there is more than one you may get test results that conflict and confuse.

It is important to get the garbage off the shelves, then it is important to figure out what the poisen is, then where it came from, and everyone involved knows there is a clock running where the longer you get past the event the less likely you are to figure it out. We need to get the correct answers so we hang the right people.

I am in week 9 treating one of my cats. At this point the damage is done and the issue is recovery. The toxin found so far does its damage within hours of ingestion, after that there is only treatment, not cure. No guarantee of recovery because nobody knows the source or the dosage. In a few weeks we re-test and will know better how to go forward, but she is getting tired of the sub-cu ringers every few days, and really tired of the amphogel twice a day.

No doubt this comes down to a handful of people who are responsible. I hesitate to describe what I would like to see happen to them on CNN – let’s just say it’s more likely to air on Aljazera. If I were Catholic I would need to do penance for just being able to think of it, but I’ll consider some alternatives from the Hussein family…

We will find the contamination, its source, and those responsible, but it will take time. I really hope there is a treatment for whatever they find that works after symptoms show up. Failing that I hope that there will be a recovery for the survivors. No matter what there is little to console for the losses. My jaw is sore for being clenched and my eyes welled with tears when I consider the growing scope of this each night.

Comment by steve a — March 27, 2007 @ 10:30 pm

32. Okay, I just posted the same concern re Nutro dry foods on another thread here.

Basically, that is what my dogs had been doing for awhile – on/off vomiting frothy or yellow liquidy stuff. They had been eating Nutro dry kibble for a few years, but recently weren’t as interested in eating it, and then started doing this upset stomach/light vomit thing. When one had a seizure a few weeks ago (first time, but this does run in the family, so don’t want to state that it is food related. Don’t think so, but still…), combined with hearing of the wet food recall, I quit feeding Nutro dry to be on the safe side of things (and did homecooked food).

And instantly, no more vomiting. Just wanted to add this here, in case it helps anyone make a decision to feed or not feed the Nutro dry kibble. I don’t know what is going on, but I too suspect something in the Nutro dry kibble.

Comment by TC — March 28, 2007 @ 12:50 am

33. To Gary from several posts above. You are absolutely right, how safe is our food and water supply. Our local news did a story just a few months back about cancer drugs as well as other drugs and stuff in the water supply. All the meds that people take wind up in the toilet, all the cleaning chemicals wash down the drain etc and some of that can wind up in a municiple water supply that has more added chemicals (How can that be? The water treatment plants can not remove it, they don’t clean water per se–they treat water. I give my furbabies steam distilled water and drink that myself. We have to stay on top of this animals being made sick and dying story. My heart goes out to those who are dealing with this.

Comment by DeeAnn — March 28, 2007 @ 12:58 am

34. I rescued 10 kittens last March/April and was doing TNR on a colony of about 35 in my neighborhood. It was expensive at best to feed all them so I could trap them so I bought Special Kitty and Sophisticat. FIVE of my babies died last December just before Christmas and I thought it was distemper since the colony was wiped out also-well, I’ve seen 5.
    Three months, three thousand dollars and much grief later I hear this. I have been trying to find out if this poison would cause a decrease in the white blood cells and affect the motor responses in the legs. Now I read that the ASPCA is saying that other toxins are probably involved because they should be seeing a decrease in the white blood cell count. Well, I am here to say there is and a definite loss of motor response in the rear legs of two of my survivors.

Comment by PJ — March 28, 2007 @ 1:04 am

35. Maybe the reason for holding off on any recall of dry food is to prevent panic. It is one thing to tell us to quit feeding wet, but go ahead and use dry food.

It will be quite a large deal if we are told to quit using all commerical foods, wet or dry, immediately.

It may be a momentary thing, but I too have been rethinking the whole “how safe is any of our food” issue. And realizing that no matter how careful I want to be, I can only do so much to protect myself, and the rest is way out of my control.

Comment by TC — March 28, 2007 @ 1:05 am

36. Mal,

While I’m totally against rendering any kind of meat for any kind of food, I don’t believe the information you gave is completely factual.

First of all, The United States banned feeding rendered meats to cows awhile ago but it seems it can be fed to other livestock as far as I know. If that’s true, the risk is that there is a small chance of cross feeding (cow eating the chicken food). If you get your meat from a place like Whole Foods, preferably grass fed, you should be ok.

Generally euthanized cats and dogs don’t make it into pet food, though some small incidents have been in the news about it…a few tons here and there.

I was looking for a reliable study that would prove that there was feline and canine meat in the meat byproducts and there were barely any studies at all but I did run across this: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/Jan-Feb04Vet.htm (scroll down to find the article titled “CVM Scientists Develop PCR Test to Determine Source of Animal Products in Feed, Pet Food”)

They tested 31 brands of petfood and didn’t find any dogs or cats in it, although they did find euthanizing chemicals in small quantities.

My main problem with the rendered meats is that eating an animal that has died and not been slaughtered for the purpose of food is a very unhealthy idea, even if it gets heated to high temperatures and processed thoroughly. Humans don’t do this and we should not be feeding this way to anyone. It’s still an invitation to sickness, there are no shortcuts.

I am very nervous about all pet food but for the time being I’ve been giving my kitty Pet Promise and Dick Van Patten’s brand. I think they’re a little too starchy but they’re made from respectable cuts of meat (and my kitty eats them pretty well). My boyfriend bought a whole bunch of Merrik (which seemed way, way too starchy to me) and his cats are insane for it. Previously he’d been feeding Fancy Feast. Originally I was using Pet Promise and PetGuard along with occasional commercial foods that didn’t have meat by proucts or beef in the ingredients but really, they were crap with plenty of Wheat Gluten. Before that, in the last few years up til a year ago I was using Wellness and Iams but I think the Wellness caused my cat a reaction that made him lose hair on his ears. He had every test done (all normal) and only when I took him off the Wellness did it clear up. Maybe someone else here has had a similar experience.

I’m going to figure out the raw food thing and try to do that a few days a week at least.

My sincere condolences to everyone who’s suffering firsthand with this. I’m scared to death and it’s got to be hell on earth for you.

Comment by Pam — March 28, 2007 @ 4:22 am

37. Andrea,

Did Nutro say when they plan to issue the recall? Their web site still says the recall only applies to wet food. We fed our border collies Nutro, but on Sat. we switched to Natural Balance and they love it. We have them completely off Nutro. Our cat died in Jan. after beginning a new bag of Hills’ Prescription c/d. The FDA is supposed to pick it up to test it. Someone from there called yesterday but we were not at home. Keep us informed about Nutro. I think all pet foods except organic (and I hope they are not) are contaminated.

Comment by Janice — March 28, 2007 @ 4:28 am

38. Alternatives to Commercial pet foods.

If they keep recalling food, even the dry foods this is what you should do anyway. Dogs and cats are carnivores and need meat. Not grains and veggies and fruit and fillers or meat meal from rendered animals..
    Your pets need meat. The results will astound you and it is not difficult to do. Please read about how to do it on the sites above and follow the links on those sites to other information. There are already thousands of pet owners who feed species appropriate food and their pets are fine. They shop for their pet food in the meat section of the supermarket or go to farms that have organic meats. It is not expensive and when you figure that you will not have the vet bills because your pet is sick all the time, well it is cheaper.
    Time to make a decision for your pets.

Comment by Lil Bear's Momma — March 28, 2007 @ 6:14 am

39. Please consider getting a copy of Dr. Pitcairn’s book on Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. It’s available at Amazon for about ten or twelve dollars. I had a copy shipped special delivery for an additonal ten dollars and received it yesterday. There are many recipies for “make it yourself” meals for both dogs and cats, also for treats and biscuits that are home made. It might take a little of owner’s time to do, but in the end, it’s a lot better than going through all of the angst with this sickening situation with the “sold” foods. There is never going to be anything that animals OR people eat that will be “100%”, due to all of the chemicals, hormone’s, etc. that is used now on crops and on animal feeds…..but at least you’ll have SOME control over what goes into the pets. And now, with the genetic altering of crops and dallying around with DNA in animals, who knows what will pop up next? One of my family’s BIGGEST OBJECTIONS to stem-cell research is the door it opens to this insane altering of the natural order of things. Nobody who has tried to testify or contradict the “brave new world” crowd gets much coverage by the media, and when they do, it’s mostly to make them out as right-winged kooks. Even my son and I, who both have disabilities that might be helped by such research have vowed to NEVER use or consent to ANYthing that comes via stem cells. And nobody wants to admit to the gigantic negatives on this. Where was the public outcry when it came out that there was genetically altered corn in some store products? How many media outlets screamed and yelled when some genetically altered agricultural products in seeds went awry and “took over” other crops that were natural? It always takes something like this, some horrid thing, to shake the public up into DOING something! People have got to wake up….and not shrug their shoulders or be led like lemmings by media and political poppy-cock. They can sell people anything….and shut up the opposition quite easily with the willing cooperation of the media and the “new” experts out in Movie/TV Land. I take an immuno-surpressing drug for my illness, and the “cause” of all this that Menu Foods is pushing do NOT “match up” with any of the side-effects or possible negative reactions of the drug/chemical (or the two I took before the current one). You make it your business to find out a lot when you’re taking one of these things…..and none of this made one iota of sense to me when Menu came out with this “cause”. Baloney! There is something else involved here…..now as to whether WE will every know the whole story….if I were a betting woman, I’d hang onto my wallet! – Eileen who is mad as hell!
    PS – to anyone who has lost a pet or has one who is/was ill….my daughter lost her Maine Coon cat….to IAMS….only nine years old! She’s getting married this weekend, and all she can think about is that IAMS killed her Kayte. It makes me just sick….and to read all of these pet owners stories breaks my heart. Just remember, as I told my daughter…YOU didn’t do anything “wrong”….it was greed, coldness, profits, and the lack of human decency on the part of those involved that did this. And truth always gets stomped on by those same things!

Comment by Eileen — March 28, 2007 @ 6:51 am

40. It has been 4 weeks since our Allie died. My daughter started crying last night just before bed saying how she missed Allie. It just breaks my heart for everyone going thru this. I went yesterday and bought Innova for our new puppy and our cat. I still feel it was the dry Iams that killer our papillon. The new puppy is doing well but we are nervous wrecks about him.

Does anyone know the timeline you can still get viable tissue samples from a deceased pet?

Comment by Julie — March 28, 2007 @ 7:13 am

41. To the above posts regarding Nutro Natural Choice ( dry) – I too took my dry food back due to the fact my 2 cats have suffered from the Nutro Natural Choice wet pouches. Symptoms the same and I did notice that they were turning their heads away from the dry – something is not right with the Nutro product and I WAS a faithful customer of theirs for 20 years

Comment by Sandi Schreiber — March 28, 2007 @ 7:31 am

42. i just called my vet,petsmart,fda, nutro dry food is not being recalled !!!!!!lets stop putting false infromation on these blogs, ok

Comment by judy — March 28, 2007 @ 7:35 am

43. My remaining dog is on poached organic chicken breast at the moment. This isn’t going to keep him going but it’s a point in the process of finding something he can eat. I’d like to learn more about the symptoms that other animals are experiencing – I lost my little Skeeter yesterday to a massive seizure/heart attack. Both dogs have eaten Purina One lamb and rice their whole lives until a few weeks ago when they began to refuse it, try to bury it, tip the bowl over and spill it. Because of the cold, this winter they each had some Mighty Dog, both cans and pouches (you know how delicious they make it sound, yumm, gravy, to sell it to the poor naive pet owner). So, one dog dead, one dog rushed to emergency, IV, drugs, home but not the same doggie. What am I to think? Two healthy dogs suddenly “happened” to get a problem? No one has mentioned seizure, and until now dry food was considered safe. I’m suffering, grieving and confused. And angry.

Comment by Nancy Nielsen — March 28, 2007 @ 7:52 am

44. Nancy, I am sooo sorry and saddened and I know EXACTLY the feelings and motions you are going through. I had to put my 1 cat to sleep on 03-22, he had massive seizures after going through 10 days of hell at the hospital, he just couldn’t handle it ( 9 months old) the 2nd one is at home after spending the same amount of time in the hospital and we do not know his prognosis – it’s just a day to day thing, we have his blood work checked again on Friday. I wish I could wake up one morning and be out of this nightmare. Officially, no one has recalled dry food on any of the foods that Menu processed but I feel in my heart that there is something wrong. Both of my cats were on Nutro dry and wet and of course we know about the pouches but I still question the dry and that’s why I returned mine to Petsmart just to be on the safe side. Hugs to you – I fully understand, but one thing to remember, be strong because you have another little guy to take care of.

Comment by Sandi Schreiber — March 28, 2007 @ 8:19 am

45. I have made multiple posts in different placed around the internet including other discussions here at petconnection.com In order to avoid duplication here are a couple of the more relavant ones made as events unfolded…

I read with interest the articles indicating only 10% reporting by vets as well as the Washington State University advisory to vets.

While I do not dissagree with what the advisory said it also needs to be said that small animal vets appear to have an astoundingly poor track record in reporting or even investigating this and other such events. Note my postings in the above links on how after discovering the recall my vet shouted me into silence when I suggested that some investigation was clearly warranted.

I fully accept the possibility that Brandy (my freind and companion of 14 years) may well have been sick for reasons other than food poisoning. But the obvious corelation of symptoms and the timing if the onset with a change to one of the affected brands was (in my opinion) more than sufficient probably cause to at least report her death to the FDA for further investigation.

I am not surprised with the meager response of small animal vets. I am an X dairy farmer who is used to dealing with large animal practitioners who have much stornger ties with the FDA and in fact must report unexplained illnesses not only to the FDA but now Homeland Security as well. In fact farmers must now submit animal ID data to the government both for tracking potential problems like “mad cow” as well as potential bio-terrorism attacks.

Small animal practices are at along arm’s length to these requirements and are in my opinion too busy overcharging for routine procedures like vaccinations and nuetering to be bothered with reporting much less investigating large scale public health events like this.

If in fact there are hysterical people out there who are making wild assumptions about their pet’s deaths or illnesses or trying to make a buck from a tradgedy then it is at least in part the fault of the small animal DVM community who have washed their hands in self interest while the flames of fear and suspicion burned.

Meanwhile, I have the remaining cans of Sprout Beef Cuts & Gravy available to any responsible lab for testing. Calls to the FDA have not been returned and except for the Pet Connection’s database her death has not been reported anywhere.

Is there a doctor in the house?

Comment by Bernard J. (Bernie) Starzewski — March 28, 2007 @ 8:53 am

46. I spoke with a friend of mine last night and her golden ate a 3 oz can of poisoned cat food and is in renal failure – this is three days after. A 3 oz can does not leave much room for error here – how can such a small amount be so bad that a large healthy dog of 7 years is not going to die?

Comment by Linda — March 28, 2007 @ 8:55 am

47. My 5 yr old greyhound has thrown up twice in the last week. This is not like her at all. I used stopand shop companion dog food, she very rarely ate the kind that they recalled, she liked the whole dog food type, like turkey and bacon. I am very curious about the gv brands also. We gave her this food for many months and about two months ago they didn’stock it at stop and shop anymore. I figured they just discontinued the brand but i’m thinking that there was a problem and they pulled it from the shelves without letting consumers know.I would love to get to the bottom of this as everyone else would.I hope the people responsible lose their livelyhood and are shut down. Someone knows exactly what the problem is.This country has become a nightmare for animals and humans since Bush took over!!!! God Bless the owners and their beloved pets. Anna G

Comment by ann gates — March 28, 2007 @ 9:17 am

48. Nancy Nielsen, please call me. My dog (Yellow Lab) was also on Purina One Lamb & Rice for 7 years. He is also on boiled chicken and rice at the moment. We almost lost him until we took him off the DRY food. the vet will not hear of the dry food problem, after spending over 400$ the past week. We are in touch with Purina, who is sending us a “test kit” so we can send back some of the food. They called us 3 times already. Something isn’t right. 361-552-5517( my number ) Gary, I agree with you! We feel left out here all alone and I have a cat and a Hedgehog that eats dry cat food. What am I supposed to do now? I believe this is a wake up call for people everywhere!! WHAT IS IN OUR FOOD???

Comment by Kelley Ashley — March 28, 2007 @ 9:31 am

49. Our four year old dog died Feb 22 very suddenly. He had an upset tummy for a couple of days, gassy but not vomiting. I went out for two hours, left him at home he seemed fine and went back two hours later and he was already dead in the back yard.
    He has always eaten Natural Choice (a Nutro brand) DRY dog food. He has always had regulare checkups and has never been unhealthy in his whole young life. This was just before the recall, I did not have an autopsy done. I do have the food and am sending it to be tested. I have heard other reports about dry food. Not to cause unneccessary alarm, but it does seem strange that my otherwise healthy young dog suddenly died so quickly.

Comment by Sandy — March 28, 2007 @ 9:51 am

50. My post at 8:55 had a typo. Pet is NOW going to die, error was I typed not. Sorry.

Comment by Linda — March 28, 2007 @ 9:51 am

51. Sandy,

Your dog ate no other dog product except Nutro dry? I am so concered as I had a dog on Natural Choice puppy food and took him off just two weeks ago – too much poop – more than anyone would or could ever expect. I am scared to death over this.

Comment by Linda — March 28, 2007 @ 10:19 am

52. I hear the complaints about dry food now. Is it caused by food poisoning or purely a coincidence?
    I say again, even if the food is not the cause the fear and suspicion is caused by the lack of due diligence on the part of the companies, government regulators, and an outright lazy DVM community as a whole.

If you think we can trust these companies or any commercial interest consider this…
    I advised the store where I bought the Sprout dog food of the death of my dog and the recall which they apparently knew nothing about.

What was Mills Fleet Farm’s reaction to it? Why, they put their remaining stock on sale!

Get ‘em while they last! 49 cents a can!

If I get a new dog and some day I probably will, it will eat what I eat.

Comment by Bernard J. (Bernie) Starzewski — March 28, 2007 @ 10:38 am

53. People attacking IAMS dry food are probably the SAME animal rights nuts who have attacked IAMS all along because they don’t like Proctor and Gambel- IAMS parent company, there is NO recall of dry food!
    Attacking IAMS dry food is another subversive attempt to hit back at Proctor and Gambel. I feed IAMS dry and have no concerns.

Comment by Mike — March 28, 2007 @ 11:29 am

54. Q1. Are Iams and Eukanuba dry dog and cat foods, treats or sauces included in this Menu Foods manufacturer recall?

No. Iams and Eukanuba dry foods are not manufactured at Menu Foods and are not affected by the Menu Foods recall. Iams Savory Sauce and our treats for cats and dogs are also not included in the Menu Foods recall and not affected by the recall.

Comment by Mike — March 28, 2007 @ 11:34 am

55. Unfortunately, my parents are the type who don’t believe anything until they see it on the news. I’ve been keeping up on this, reading as many of these posts as I can, and I’ve told them that people have lost their pets to the same symptoms when just feeding them dry food. I know that Rosie, their pug, had been on Nutro before Iams and had chronic skin and ear problems until they changed her food. They said the symptoms cleared up on Iams when they switched her. She seems healthy, but I keep telling them not to trust the company. Nutro even seems a little more concerned about the problem than the Iams corporation, which doesn’t surprise me, as Iams was bought out by Proctor and Gamble about a decade ago, and P&G is notorious for animal testing and the like. It upsets me that they won’t listen. I love their dog, and I know my two little sisters would be devastated if anything happened to her, but I don’t know how to convince them. I’m going to pick up a bag of Sold Gold today and try again to tell them to switch. I might pick up an extra bag to drop off at the shelter, too. I can only imagine how bad this crisis has been at the shelters, where they feed based on what’s donated. I wonder if those numbers are getting reported, since most shelters are hard pressed for funding, and the animals receive minimal vet care. My friend and I are supposed to visit The Popcorn Park Zoo today, which is a little zoo near my town run by the AHS. I think I’m going to drop off some food at the shelter there and ask them what their experience has been.

Comment by Ginger — March 28, 2007 @ 11:50 am

56. Here’s an article on selecting a commercial pet food:

Comment by Elizabeth — March 28, 2007 @ 11:56 am

57. And an article on what’s REALLY in pet food:

Comment by Elizabeth — March 28, 2007 @ 11:57 am

58. Janice and Judy – I myself have not heard for certain when/if Nutro is for sure recalling any dry dog food, but I posted that e-mail in the hope someone else may have heard something, or that it would prompt others to investigate. And, as I specified in the post, what I put there came from an e-mail a friend of my dad’s, who works at a shelter, sent him after he told her how I suspect my cat died. What she said in the e-mail and the fact she wanted people to spread the word implies she heard about the recall from a reliable source(sounded, to me, like she had spoken to Nutro itself), even though Nutro hasn’t “officially” announced it to anyone as yet. If it’s for real and they do announce it it’ll probably be on a Friday, since that seems to be the favored day for major updates. I will try to get more information about how my dad’s friend heard about this, and I’ll post anything I find. Judy, I’m not out to spread false info, believe me – if this is some B.S. rumor I’ll be ticked right along with you. I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard about it. :) I’ll be in touch!

Comment by Andrea — March 28, 2007 @ 12:07 pm

59. Just wondering if anyone is seeing any cases of Enteritis in their dogs? My 4 year old Maltese Poodle was has it and she ate the wet pounch food on the recall list by Hill Country Fare. She is receiving care from Banfield vets at Pets Mart but they don’t seem to have any information if it could could be connected to the recalled food and just seemed to shug it off. She has never had this before and has otherwise been healthy. I think it should be reported due to to the number of unknowns with the recalled food. But I don’t know what to do if the vet does even consider a connection. Just wanted to get this out there to let any other pet owners know and see if anyone is reporting the same.

Comment by Carol — March 28, 2007 @ 12:22 pm

60. I have no affiliation with any animal rights group or loyalty to any pet food manufacture. Our four year old dog died suddenly one morning shortly after it vomited and defecated. Our dog showed the other symptoms that have been reported with the wet food. This occured shortly before the news began to come out about this problem with pet food. Our dog only ate IAMS DRY FOOD. We miss our dog!

Comment by David — March 28, 2007 @ 12:45 pm

61. NUTRO HAS A 800,WHY DIDN’T SOMEONE JUST PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL NUTRO ALOT OF PETS ARE ON NUTRO DRY FOOD.THERE ARE OVER 2,300 PETS THAT HAVE DIED FROM THIS RECALL PEOPLE HAVE SICK PETS HUGH VET BILLS TRYING TO KEEP THEM ALIVE. EVERYONE IS STRESSED OUT.IF U HEAR ABOUT A PET FOOD CO.RECALL MAKE SURE IT’S TRUE WE DON’T NEED MORE STRESS RIGHT NOW.

Comment by SAMMIE — March 28, 2007 @ 1:49 pm

62. Hi Ruth with the dog that only at DRY Iams… please email me keen@mac.com or anyone else who has had dry porblems or suspect they have dry food that is bad!

please

keen and Abby Gayle

Comment by MikeKeen — March 28, 2007 @ 3:26 pm

63. Please, please, please, if you feel that any DRY FOOD has caused an illness or death to your pet, please let me know keen@mac.com or email this attorney: jay@blimlaw.com He is handling one of the Classes.

They are working with PETA to get together a DRY FOOD recall NOW!!! Please people, lets help our little buddies

Comment by MikeKeen — March 28, 2007 @ 3:40 pm

64. MikeKeen,

I am so interested in any information on the dry food recall as I only feed dry and don’t wish to poison my dogs. Is there some information from PETA on this subject that I can access via web? I looked at their site but couldn’t locate much. Thanks.

Comment by Linda — March 28, 2007 @ 3:44 pm

65. Perhaps we have an answer?

I think the ADM link that Angela posted might be the real cause here. It’s not the wheat, but the *corn*. Bad, contaminated corn that’s slowly poisoning every animal and person that comes into contact with it. The symptoms are also more consistent with fungal or microbial problems as opposed to some enzyme that they likely invented to try to cover it all up.

If ADM is at fault here…

This means any corn-fed animal would be suspect for human consumption as well. I can’t imagine how huge of a problem this is going to become if this is true. Imagine half of the U.S. food supply shut down due to one bad supplier. ADM also would have the money and influence to try to keep things quiet. Some offshore firm from China – the fact that they didn’t name names never really fit. There would be no reason NOT to expose them. But a 600lb gorilla like ADM… Now we’re getting somewhere.

Myself – I have no problem with fresh or frozen corn, but anytime I eat processed corn of any kind in the last year or two, I feel like crud. Really awful for the rest of the day. A lot of people are having problems as well, so much so that stores like Trader Joes are specifically carrying corn-free products.

Note – corn products from outside of the U.S. aren’t a problem. I can for instance, get candy with corn syrup in it from Europe and it’s fine. Candy from the U.S.? All sorts of problems. Something’s horribly wrong here.

Comment by Joseph — March 28, 2007 @ 3:48 pm

66. Joseph,

You mean animals that eat the corn – what are all the animals that eat corn? Do they feed it to cows in grain or something like that? Pigs eat corn. Not all dog food contains corn. But this problem today is in the wheat isn’t it and not the corn, unless the ramifcations go to the beef or lamb etc., maybe that is why Congress wanted information on the meat also.

Comment by Linda — March 28, 2007 @ 3:55 pm

67. Aflatoxin, anti freeze components, rat poison, china, contaminated wheat and corn. Sounds like they are spinning a spy novel, does anybody really know what time it is? DRY FOOD RECALL SOON!!!

Comment by MikeKeen — March 28, 2007 @ 4:14 pm

68. Yes, and it’s now a horror book. If it is in the corn, and the animals eat the corn, chickens also, and probably in almost all types of feed, then what in the heck are we getting? This probably affects more than pet food I would imagine.

Comment by Linda — March 28, 2007 @ 4:17 pm

69. Yes. Human-grade corn and wheat is 100% different from animal-feed grade stuff. So if ADM or others are supplying toxic junk to animals for feed, then it will naturally propigate up the food chain just like heavy metals do. And why, for instance, they recommend only 1 can of tuna a week now due to heavy metals. Tuna is superb to eat almost every day. But contamination has made it unsafe to do so.

They feed it to cows, chickens, pigs, lamb(if force-fed), and so on. All to fatten them up. Look, the stuff is so bad that they have to pump them full of antibiotics to keep them alive until slaughter. But the rationale is that since humans don’t generally eat the tissues that absorb the toxins (brain/liver/etc), it’s fine – and it does pass FDA scrutiny as long as it’s properly cooked.

Too bad all of that waste material is exactly what goes into 98% of all pet food, canned and dry.

I guess the human equivalent would be eating shellfish every day for every meal. How long do you think it would take for your liver and kidneys to shut down?

The problem is that apparently that same corn and wheat is making it into our foods as fillers. And it’s in pet food as fillers. Read the ingredients. Yep – corn meal and byproducts like whey and gluten are all in every dry food as well.

Try this experiment:
    Go out and guy a soda with corn syrup in it.(easy to find)
    Go out and buy one with sugar in it(harder to find)

Which one makes you feel awful after an hour? This used to never happen to me or my friends a few years ago, so something’s horribly wrong as of late.

Comment by Joseph — March 28, 2007 @ 4:24 pm

70. Thank you Joseph. I really don’t know how to combat this problem with bad feed and if it mostly goes into our pet food, and other animal feed, it is a difficult problem for the concerned person.

I am now just buying from a health food co-op and perhaps too need to switch to organic dog food, if that is any better – and that is a big if here.

I think I heard once that a global economy is better – I guess we have been brainwashed and duped.

Comment by Linda — March 28, 2007 @ 4:30 pm

71. The trick here is to look for human-grade food more than anything else. That way the damage will be “only” a fraction as bad.(ie – take 10-15 years to cause health problems as opposed to months or a couple of years)

Of course, corn and wheat are basically like white flour is to humans. Filler, and as such, tends to cause alergies and so on, so they should be avoided entirely as well. Doubly so with the current recalls going on. Rice is a good substitute, though, since it’s only grown for human consumption. And it doesn’t generally cause alergies in humans or animals.

PetsMart sells this Blue Buffalo brand food that isn’t organic but does seem to be at least adequate as a replacement for the other brands. It’s only a bit more money. Not fantastic, but something if you are on too tight of a budget to get organic or make your own I guess.

Comment by Joseph — March 28, 2007 @ 5:23 pm

72. I switched to Natural Balance Allergy. Right now Duck and Sweet Potato. I do believe that human grade is best. Thank you so much Joseph for the great info.

Comment by Linda — March 28, 2007 @ 5:25 pm

73. Carol, our dog also ate dry Iams and some of the canned chunks by Iams and suffered severe enteritis and eventual coma and death within 3 days – not the renal failure that is being reported, but rather a more typical appearance of poisoning. Since it was prior to the recall we have no proof, but I am also wondering what else might be going on with the food supply besides the rat poison/kidney connection.

Comment by Barb P. — March 28, 2007 @ 5:49 pm

74. If it’s contaminated corn, that’s extremely scary. Corn is a major ingredient in every processed food people ingest. High fructose corn syrup is used in almost every juice and soda. If it is corn, chances are we’ll be hearing about people becoming ill very soon. There’s actually a book I’ve skimmed through (haven’t read the whole thing) called The Omnivore’s Dilemma, that, from what I read, basically predicted this situation, since so much of what we consume is corn. They actually compared it to the Irish potato famine, since, at that time, potatoes were pretty much all the Irish ate. At any rate, that’s pretty scary stuff.

Comment by Ginger — March 28, 2007 @ 6:02 pm

75. This is for Mike, I am not some kind of nut thats dumping on IAM’s dry food. I am just stating that my dog ate IAM’s dry food and dog bones and she died very fast and the vet couldn’t save her. All this happened just around the time the wet food was recalled. March 11,2007 as a matter of fact. All I know is that she didn’t want to eat this batch of food and that wasn’t like her to turn away from food. I just thought she was spoiled and being picky. The bottom line is that she is dead. And personally I feel it was the food.
    I am glad that your pets are ok.

Comment by Ruth — March 28, 2007 @ 6:10 pm

76. My dear and loyal canine buddy that I so loved, died March 11, 2007, prior to the recall, after experiencing sudden severe seizures. He diet was the recalled Nutro pouches and had for well over a year. We never suspected food poisoning, so never tested him for renal failure, prior to his death In retrospect all the signs were there – two weeks prior he suffered severe diarrhea and didn’t want to eat what he had been eating so we switched to a differnt pouch. He had always been a bit picky and spoiled. Tired of one food and on to another, How were we to suspect a poisoning? Unfortunately, he did not get the treatment he needed.
    Now, I find the FDA is not taking his death seriously, even though his food is on the recall list (including date) and I have a dead dog. They want proof of renal failure.
    Any recommendations of further steps that I should take?
    This is so painful. I want his death recognized – it is the least that can happen.

Comment by Suzanne Pierce — March 28, 2007 @ 7:13 pm

77. One last thing, is there somewhere we can take this food to have tested ourselves? I’d gladly pay for it myself just to have the proof. I owe this to my my best buddy. He did not deserve to be murdered. None of our wonderful pets do.

Comment by Suzanne Pierce — March 28, 2007 @ 7:17 pm

78. One last thing, is there somewhere we can take this food to have tested ourselves? Comment by Suzanne Pierce — March 28, 2007

No leads yet. Only the University of Iowa is offering to test foods. There’s nothing at local community levels yet.

Veterinary researchers at Iowa State University tell KDKA that they have already received a dozen animals and more tissue samples for examination as well as more than two dozen different pet food brands manufactured by Menu Foods of Canada.

Comment by Steve — March 28, 2007 @ 7:21 pm

79. I talked to an attorney today jay@blimlaw.com

He is taking these on contingency and is trying very hard to get the recall up and running on the DRY pet food with PETA. The more people that talk with him, and yes he will call you back, the better for our living and lost pets. It has nothing to do with the money at this point, and if these lawyers take these guys down, that would not bother me a bit. You see, all of the lost jobs will just be shuffled to another, possibly better, organization. The cream rises to the top, maybe it will be taken over by an employee owned organization, creating a new true atmosphere of caring knowing that if they do a good job the customers will come. The distributors will start seeking safer pet food alternatives. Veterinarians will be forced to pursue safer products to sell and recommend or they themselves will be financially affected. We might start seeing Kitty and Doggy drive-thru clinics where blood tests and urinalysis can quickly and cheaply be done, then if needed referred to a good doctor.

If we keep loosing these battles, they, the largest corporations, the greedy and all of their friends will continue to poison our pets and eventually this will spill over into the HUMAN sector in a major way. The invisibles are what scares me the most, we can’t see or smell them and usually when we find them it’s only because someone or someone’s animals get sick and sometimes die. They are playing with our very existence. I would like to see a better way for the general public to be informed and educated about the recalls, voluntary or involuntary, wether they be deadly or not. When it comes to FOOD we can’t be careful enough. Are we recalling cars here? Did someone tighten a nut to tight? (maybe) We can’t wait until there is sicknesses and deaths before we take action. Isn’t 1 enough, why wait until there is 27, or 14 cases of illnesses and deaths before they take action. Intentional infliction of emotional distress, is the minimum I see here almost reeks of negligence resulting in involuntary murder.

People that want to show restraint, let cooler heads prevail and have a sense of felling sorry for or understanding these monstrous organizations frighten me. It’s like the good and the bad to me, not wanting to over complicate things, they are simply bad. Sending them to rehab wont make them better, the money poison has taken them over, like a bad drug. They have been full of themselves for so long it’s automatic for them to put their bad foot forward. This battle has just begun, if you don’t choose sides now we may never have another chance. In our live we have endured much, this was to make us strong and now these battles can be waged on our loved ones behalf, and win we can.

keen remembering Abby Gayle (keen@mac.com)

Comment by MikeKeen — March 28, 2007 @ 7:22 pm

80. PJ, your comment caught my attention because I’ve been trying to find out if anyone is reporting symptoms other than kidney failure as a result of feeding their pet the recalled food. Also, Bernie, I saw your posts on “Benedictions” which you mentioned that Brandy’s face swelled. I fed my dog Riley a pouch of the Eukanuba Dog Senior with Savory Chicken cuts and gravy. Shortly after eating this food, he had a severe allergic reaction in which his eyes and face became swollen & bulging. We sought emergency treatment for him in which he was given an antihistamine injection. However,his health deteriorated rapidly over the following two weeks and is currently in the hospital — blood test revealed that his kidney functions were okay, but his liver functions were elevated and sugars were found in his urine. He is being treated for diabetes. What is more alarming is that Riley has lost his motor skills (at first in his hind legs, but now in all four legs)and the doctors are not certain if this loss of mobility is attributed to the diabetic condition or if something else is the cause. All I know at this point is that he may never recover, which is the focus of our efforts at this time. There is so much more that is yet to be explained and investigated. I truly believe that kidney failure is only ONE symptom that has been identified in this recall tragedy and my heart and prayers go out to those who have been affected or have lost their loved ones. I am an absolute wreck right now emotionally — I keep hoping and praying that Riley will make a full recovery, but we don’t know if the damage done can even be reversed or treated. The doctors are still trying to regulate his blood glucose levels, and until then, have told me they cannot determine what is causing the loss of his motor skills. What I do know is that prior to feeding Riley the recalled food, he was a healthy, happy dog.

Comment by Maggie Coker — March 28, 2007 @ 8:55 pm

81. This issue doesn’t appear to be new. In 2004, there was a tainted pet food crisis in Asia involving Pedigree and Whiskas. There may have been an issue in the US too. The pet deaths were due to sudden renal failure and the symptoms looked like rat poison. Other people thought it was mold. Oddly, the reports started appearing in March then too.

Go to Google and search for pedigree taiwan renal.

Comment by Greg — March 28, 2007 @ 9:25 pm

82. Our story if it can help someone (I’m hopeful). My cats 12 and 10 yoa (mother/daughter)had a variety of mixed wet food brands to eat from and always a bowl of dry food available, (Purina One Urinary tract formula). My older cat always loved the juices from the wet food and pretty much hogged it from the other cat.

About six weeks ago they began to flat out refuse some of the wet foods on some brands, had a lick or two or three on others especially my older girl and completely finished some others. I was refilling their water bowl a lot more but paid it no mind thinking the dry heat was evaporating it. I also cleaned up diarrhea on and off a couple of times from both of them with a spot of blood twice that I saw. On and off a couple of times their was some throw up but I don’t know from who. I do now suspect this on and off thing was because the food is stacked to rotate brands and flavors.

I told my husband that Katrina (the older one)is slowing down and getting older. She was sleeping a lot and stopped interacting with us. Then I noticed a little wobble in her walk like she was off balance. Her fur was dry feeling and her breath very stinky. My other girl Chula was sleeping more than usual and had stinky breath also but not as bad as Katrina.

I had let them go outside with me to munch on the grass 2-3 times that week for a few minutes after being couped up all winter at the time everything else was occurring. I thought they may have eaten something from outside that was irratating them. I stopped letting them go outside. On one evening there was an eposide of projectile vomiting from Katrina and the stench was beyond smelly catfood. They have always eaten wet food along with their dry twice a day like clockwork. I don’t know why but I suspected maybe something was wrong with the food so I stopped all wet food as well for about 10 days. Katrina begged for it but I did not give any.

All symptoms went away except for the stinky breath and increased water consumption. They became more playful, alert and interactive with us. Then I gave in to the beggin and started on the wet food again. More vomit, diarrhea and sleeping 22 out of 24 hours a day–both of them. Then Katrina had what I think now could have been a mild seizure, her head was shaking, glassy eyed and weak, also her urine on the floor crystalized over night. Chula had a bloated belly and walked funny like her belly dropped to the floor every other step and she did not want to be touched at all and she is very loving.

I told my husband on a Friday evening I think we need to take them in to the vets–something wasn’t right. I stopped all wet food again and decided to take them in on Monday if they were not better. By Monday they were coming around again like before but still sleeping more than usual but I was not too alarmed anymore because of the improvemnet. This was about 10 days or so before the recall.

One incident that I observed, was that both pawed at their mouth in different ways on the second go around with the food. Katrina acted like something was stuck in her mouth and that she was trying to get it out and her tounge was going crazy. Chula picked at her claws with her teeth. This was behavior never seen in either one before, but odd behavior nonetheless.

I was concerned and looked in Katrina’s mouth. It looked swollen in the back teeth area from what I could tell so off to the vet we went. The Vet said it looks like something is going on so I left her there for dental work. They called and said her liver something or other was very high and no dental surgery could be done at that time. She was put on a standard course of an antibiotic and vet sam-e for her liver for 30 days on the latter. She has really perked up so far and I thought she was slowing because of age.

Then the recall hit–my kitties had maybe 3-5 cans on the list. I called the vet to ask if they had done any testing on her kidneys. I was told her kidneys are good, that it is her liver that was at issue with them. So far right now everything with them seems good.

I know that they have eaten the Purina One for a few weeks now with a little bit of Tender Vittles soft morsels and there has not been any of the prior symptoms, it all occured with with the rotating wet food brands/variety.

After the recall I took all commercial food away after scouring the web and boards like everyone else and learning so much stuff. My husband cooked chicken breast for them, I bought meat baby food as well and gave a little tuna along with cat vitamins while I continue to research. The alternative food lasted for a few days then the refusal to eat it. I went back to the Purina One and Tender Vittles to get them to eat. I tried a dry food from the feed store but the pieces are too big for Katrina; she is only 6 pounds, very small for a full grown cat. We crushed it up with a mallet but after reading about dry with corn I took that away too. My search is on for something else now. I hope this info may help owners with their pets. Mine had very different symptoms and some the same, EATING THE SAME FOOD.

It seems to me that they were exposed to tainted food and licked small amounts at two different times.

I am feeling so awful for everyone who has lost a pet-friend or has sick pet-friends right now.

Comment by DeeAnn — March 29, 2007 @ 1:49 am

83. Sammie,

I called the Nutro 800 number, and of course, I was told there was no recall of dry food. I am sure Menu said the same things about wet food until they could stonewall no longer. I am sure it is just a matter of time.

Comment by Janice — March 29, 2007 @ 5:03 am

84. Is there somewhere we can take the food to have it tested ourselves? My dog died of severe seizures, before the recall and the FDA is not taking his death seriously due the fact he dies too suddenly, no time for testing and there is no proof of renal therepy. His food matches the recall, including dates.
    I want him counted. That is the least I can do after his many years of dear unconditional love. I know you all understand the pain and anger that I am feeling.

Comment by Suzanne Pierce — March 29, 2007 @ 5:26 am

85. i think the best thing right now is to feed our pets home cook meals .untill we know the truth, we throught wet food was safe and look what happen to are pets. i’m scared to give my dogs dry.the brand of food my pets were on alot of pets died.and that really freaks me out

Comment by SAM — March 29, 2007 @ 6:56 am

86. Kudos to the veterinarians who are stepping up. It is much easier to sit back and wait for the next move from the AVMA or whoever than to research your cases and speak up. They have my deepest respect as standing up without exact evidence in that arena is not always an easy thing to do. I believe the scope of this will turn out to be very large. Their voices will be heard and I thank them.

Comment by jm — March 29, 2007 @ 7:37 am

87. dee ann,my beagle is doing the the same thing ,pawing at her face, they were on the recall food also and they are drinking lots of water and peeing all over the house and they never did that. took them to the vet and the blood test came back o.k.

Comment by SAM — March 29, 2007 @ 8:06 am

88. Does anyone know yet how long it takes after the recalled food has been eaten for symptoms to show up? I fed my 3 cats (amongst other foods), the recalled Nutro pouch food. I had their blood and urine tested last Friday (about 5 or 6 days after I stopped feeding the Nutro). So far, my Cat Hacoona tested normal in both. My cat Maggie’s blood was normal but her urine test was bad. My cat Peaches (who had been diagnosed with kidney stones a year ago this Easter, and at the time had a creatinine level of 2.4), has now got a higher creatinine level of 3.4. Does anyone know at what level creatinine would be at for it to be considered a death sentence? Peaches is happy, her fur smells good, she has a good appetite and good litter box habits and good breath. However, I also know that cats appear healthy right up until they are very sick. Thanks for any responses.

Just a note, I also have the book written by Dr. Pitcairn – it has many recipes for making cooked pet food (as opposed to raw, which still scares me). I admit I don’t cook for myself, but I would do for the cats.

Comment by Lisa — March 29, 2007 @ 8:27 am

89. I’m devestated…
    Two days ago my 3 year old Great Dane “Thunder” died. He was exceptionally healthy and very active. I’m totally baffled as to what was the cause of his death. Approximately 1 week ago I was feeding him Pet Pride can food with IAMS dry food because I noticed a loss of weight and appetite. The day he died I was lying next to him and playing an hour later he walked into my bedroom and laid down and died. I walked in the room, he was totally lethargic. I got my stethoscope and didn’t hear any heartbeat, rushed him to the Vet hospital and they told me what I already knew, he was gone…

Comment by Marc — March 29, 2007 @ 12:54 pm

90. I am on this board and others, reading so much and posting. It appears the symptoms that can be seen are the same for some animals and yet different for others, but we all know there is a problem with the food. That suggest to me poison levels may not have been the same in all batches of the food and/or the posions could be differnt from batch to batch or even different amounts were ingested due to how much was eaten. Drinking water afterwards could possibly have a dulited/flushing effect, but I do not know that. Throwing it up I would think would also reduce the amount absorbed thus the degree, type and amount of symptoms may not be the same. There are variables to every situation so the symptoms would not be exactly the same. I had two cats with some same symptoms yet different also.

Bottom line is, any behavior/symptoms out of the norm should be suspect and made known/seen by your vet even something as simple as pawing at their mouth if that is not regular behavior.

Comment by DeeAnn — March 29, 2007 @ 1:44 pm

91. After reading another posting were their Terrier died suddenly after feeding it IAMS dry food from the green bag. This i

Comment by Marc — March 29, 2007 @ 1:49 pm

92. After reading Abbey’s posting where their Terrier died after feeding it IAMS dry food from the green bag. That’s what the I feed Thunder (plz see early posting) for two years before adding the Pet Pride can food to increase his weight and appetite. I can’t help but wonder if the Pet Pride was the “straw that broke the Camels back” if his death was due to Kidney failure.

Comment by Marc — March 29, 2007 @ 1:56 pm

93. Don’t know if this has already been posted, but UC Davis (huge veterinary hospital in California) has a toxicology department and WILL do testing on poisoning of any type of animal; I’m certain there’s a fee; don’t know how much; I was told everything has to go through one’s veterinarian. So for you out there who WANT testing of either tissue samples OR food, CALL YOUR VET AND ASK HIM/HER to do whatever she/he needs to do to get the testing done!

Comment by Linda L. Tinker — March 29, 2007 @ 1:31 pm

94. Sorry for the long post but I recieved this today from a friend that wanted to get pet food tested for POISON! They still don’t know what’s going on and that really scares the heck out me.

keen and Abby Gayle

Dear Pet Owner,

Please note the following web site which contains comprehensive, regularly updated information regarding the Menu Pet Foods Recall:
    American Veterinary Medical Association – Pet Food Recall Information:

Thank you for contacting the Animal Health Diagnostic Center (AHDC) at Cornell University about the Menu Foods pet food recall. A causative agent associated with illness in animals that have eaten Menu Pet Foods has not been determined at this time, therefore the AHDC is unable to offer any definitive tests on pet foods or animals that are affected. However, we are working hard to determine the cause of this problem. Many of the pets that have consumed these products have not had evidence of clinical illness. Only a few pets, as far as we know, have been adversely affected by the recalled pet food. We at the AHDC would like to offer our sympathy to the families of those adversely affected cats and dogs.

The current recall of products manufactured by Menu Foods includes 40 brands of canned and foil pouch cat foods and 48 brands of canned and foil pouched dog foods. Information about the recall can be found at http://www.menufoods.com/recall/. Menu Foods can be reached by telephone at 1-866-895-2708. More information about the recall is available through the US FDA at http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01590.html. Additionally, if you suspect that you have containers from recalled pet food in your home, you can consult the packaging for relevant contact information. As always, your pet’s veterinarian is an excellent source of information on the health of your companion animal. If you suspect that you have fed the recalled pet food to your cat or dog, save the remaining pet food and container. Open containers may be double-bagged in sealable plastic and kept in the freezer. It is important to make sure any retained items will not be accidentally fed.

Once again, many of the pets that have consumed these products have not had evidence of clinical illness. If you believe your pet has consumed these products, you need to monitor them closely for signs of illness. You may want to discuss the option of some baseline health monitoring with your veterinarian. Some of the dogs that have been affected have vomited or refused their food early. Cats and dogs with kidney failure often drink more water than usual and produce more urine. As the problem progresses, animals may appear depressed, vomit, have ulcers in their mouths, and develop a urine-like odor to their breath. If your pet shows any of these signs, you should contact your veterinarian as soon as possible, then contact Menu Foods at the above telephone number.

If your animal has eaten a recalled product and has died, the death of your pet should be reported as soon as possible to the Menu Foods hotline, 1-866-895-2708, even if they already know about your pet’s illness. In addition, you can also contact the Food and Drug Administration by going to the following website: http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html and by finding the phone number listed for your state’s FDA complaint coordinators.

We recommend that any time an animal dies due to an unknown cause, the animal’s body should be submitted for a complete post-mortem exam by a veterinary pathology service. You should expect to pay for this service unless otherwise notified. There are many other causes of illness and, specifically, kidney failure in cats and dogs. Older animals often experience chronic kidney failure. Bacterial infections, like Leptospira spp., may affect animals, producing kidney failure. Common toxic causes in cats and dogs include antifreeze ingestion, certain rodenticides, and some medications. Easter lilies and other lilies cause renal failure if consumed by cats. Grapes have been reported to cause renal failure in dogs and may affect cats. Physical damage from trauma and cancerous conditions can also cause kidney damage. It is very important for all sick pets to be thoroughly evaluated by a veterinarian.

Sincerely,

Karyn Bischoff DVM, MS, Diplomate ABVT
    Clinical Toxicologist
    Animal Health Diagnostic Center
    College of Veterinary Medicine

Comment by MikeKeen — March 29, 2007 @ 9:28 pm

95. I stopped feeding the IAMS Green Bag about two months ago. I fed IAMS for about one year more or less. I don’t know why I stopped. I just thought they needed to eat something better even though my Vet said that IAMS was fine. None are showing signs of any problems.

Comment by Linda — March 30, 2007 @ 2:15 pm

96. Today March 30,07 I heard on 3 news stations about a plastic found in the recalled foods. It was also mentioned that the china import wheat may have crossed over to the dry food. The FDA is waiting for that company to do the recall. FDA won’t name the company. PETA wants all dry food to be recalled.

Comment by Ruth — March 30, 2007 @ 2:12 pm

97. I’m thinking, that they are thinking, we are stupid. I’m also very sorry for anyone that has been misled and continue to feed your pets suspected DRY foods. Please, it can’t be that hard to give them some scraps, a little home cooked chicken and rice, until you can find a 100% safe feed.

Can you imagine what this would sound like if it were in the BEEF industry. The ranchers would be up in arms and probably would get more restitution for their cows than we for our most unfortunate pets.

All I want, is to save some pets, no matter what it takes or how it makes me look in the meantime. It can be difficult, to say the least, for a few to make an impact. Up against the big money, all we have is each other, to trust and believe in. No one knows everything but as a group we know much. We know that multi million dollar corporations are killing our pets. We know that they do not know what the hell is going on with their products. We know that the news media is just begining to report some of the truths and are weeks behind. We know that none of these companies are telling us the whole truth.

Our pet died unncessarilly, someone could have saved her, if someone else would not have withheald the truth.

keen remembering Abby Gayle

Comment by MikeKeen — March 30, 2007 @ 6:05 pm

98. This is for Mike from previous posts. Have you heard the news, certain Hills Dry Food is being recalled. Who’s next, I wonder.That still doesn’t bring back my pet. You were the one who kept saying no dry food on recall. What do you have to say for yourself?

Comment by Ruth — March 30, 2007 @ 11:37 pm

99. I’ve been trying to save pet’s lives since our Abby Gayle died, 3/19/07. I believe it was from DRY Iams, lamb and rice in the green bag. Hopefully some day we can feel safe to feed our pets. Hell, right now I hardly feel safe eating people food. They still don’t know what is killing our pets, maybe it’s not the pet food at all. Is it in the water yet.

keen and Abby Gayle

Comment by MikeKeen — March 31, 2007 @ 2:45 pm

100. Just a follow up to my earlier post on rendering. What the government reports may not always be the truth. Check out this web site for more information:

Comment by Mal — April 1, 2007 @ 12:42 pm

101. I have posted that my pet died and I believe the dry food caused it. I called IAM’s and they just gave me the same round about speech thats its only the wet food. Said IAM’s was the company first to come out with the recall.
    I kept pressing about how safe and what tests have they done on the dry food. She said its been taken care of. Then I proceeded to tell them what happened to my pet, she then took down all the vet info and dates.
    Was given a refrence number and they would get back in a month.
    So if your pet died from eating the dry food. You should call and complain. At least they should know that people are complaining.
    Personally, I don’t believe its just the wet food involved. Just listening to them talk just didn’t convince me.

Comment by Ruth — April 4, 2007 @ 3:03 am

102. Not only have I called IAM’s but I also called my state FDA and filed a complaint.
    If you suspect that your pet died from eating dry dog food please call them. They need to know and let your voice be heard.

Comment by Ruth — April 4, 2007 @ 2:05 pm

103. Heard on TV news that another food was recalled. This is Sunshine dog treats made for Wal-Mart Ol’Roy dog treats. I believe they are dog bone treats.

What else is next???